xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Soul Calibur 2  (Read 462 times)

L!M!T

• Archived User
Soul Calibur 2
« on: April 21, 2003, 11:07:00 PM »

Hey fellas,

Got bored the other day, and fired up the 'default.xbe' from Soul Calibur 2, the import version (Japanese language) in my hex editor. Looking through it all, I stumbled upon english strings with references to explanations of the gamemodes (amongst other things). Anyway, what I have heard from users playing this game, they cannot find these strings, or these explanations anywhere in the game. Strings like 'Choose another name' and a sh*tload of censored(?) strings (names?) in both Japanese and English. When entering these in the 'Weapon Master Mode', a messagebox in Japanese pops up, probably with an angry message telling you to change your name.

My thinking is, does the game come in English *and* Japanese... ?

Can somebody with this game verify these strings?
If you want to find the 'censored' strings, just load it in your fav hex editor and search for the string 'ASS' amongst other parts from the lower body region.

Regards,
L!M!T

kkattfish

• Archived User
Soul Calibur 2
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2003, 11:15:00 PM »

i don't think this game is out in english yet

L!M!T

• Archived User
Soul Calibur 2
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2003, 11:32:00 PM »

kkattfish,

Yes, that is correct. It is not out in english yet, but all these english string occurences in the 'default.xbe' is really confusing me. I mean, the XBE from the import/JAP version of the game is loaded with strings, in english, that you could relate to the game directly, although, these are nowhere to be seen in the game.

Maybe a setting/font/hex change in a resource/XBE file would do the trick...

Regards,
L!M!T

Hammy

• Archived User
Soul Calibur 2
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2003, 02:26:00 AM »

I play this jap version and the only japaness language that i found is a startup but when you get into the game it is english,But really who cares as you just hit buttons until it starts to play,This is a great fighting game as i love to play fighting games and car racing games and all other games don't interest me at all :D

razorrifh

• Archived User
Soul Calibur 2
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2003, 06:20:00 AM »

what sorts of english strings do you see? stuff like "Hit start to play" or character dialoge... just curious as if its stuff you dont see in the game, it might be for english developers debug messages or something.

pkScary

• Archived User
Soul Calibur 2
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2003, 07:40:00 AM »

Great find.

I have tried editing character names...but it yields no result. You must make the new name the same # of characters for the game to boot, however. What I really want to know is how to edit root.olk.

If some guys wanna hack Soul Calibur 2 with me, it would be cool. Like Halo Hackers; we could add new options to the game, such as skins and BGMs(I already know how to edit the soundtrack).

housefreax

• Archived User
Soul Calibur 2
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2003, 09:02:00 AM »

QUOTE (Hammy @ Apr 22 2003, 11:20 AM)
I play this jap version and the only japaness language that i found is a startup but when you get into the game it is english,But really who cares as you just hit buttons until it starts to play,This is a great fighting game as i love to play fighting games and car racing games and all other games don't interest me at all biggrin.gif

sad.gif Yeah but how the heck can we get the extra weapons if all those directions are in japanase story mode or sumthing :-(

L!M!T

• Archived User
Soul Calibur 2
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2003, 08:47:00 AM »

Some strings:
-
CONQUEST : Defeat the opposing army with your own.
SUR$l3VI$l1V$l3AL : Def$l1eat $l1as $l1many $l1enemies $l1as $l1poss$l1ible $l1in $l1a $l1series $l1of $l1one-round battles
ARCADE : Normal game mode
-
These seem to be the explanation for the different gamemodes (this is just a snippet).
These are in Japanese in the game, if my reports aren't totally wrong?

-
Please enter another name
Name is invalid
Identity confirmed
Registration successful!
-
Weapons Master mode strings?

-
BOKEROUJIN
STREETGIRL
LOMPARI
ESKIMORE
(and a bunch of other japanese words)
SEX
DAMN
PECKER
ZIPPERHEAD
THREESOME
SUCKASS
NICEASS
ASS2ASS
-
These are all censored words? These located together with the string 'PASSWORD ENTRY' or 'NAME ENTRY'.

-
PASSWORD : Starting with saved player data
NEW GAME : Please register new player data
EXTREME : Compete in 16, one-round battles. (Ultra Hard difficulty)
ST$l3AND$l1ARD : Compete in 8, best of three-round battles. (Normal difficulty)
AL$l3TERNA$l3TIVE : Compete in 8, best of three-round battles. (Hard difficulty)
-

This kind of strings are in the 'default.xbe'...

pkScary:
I suppose the compiler only allocates the memory needed for the strings inside the XBE. If you enter a string longer than the original one, I guess you mess up the code that follows that particular string (after compiling the source code).

Regards,
L!M!T

smacketh79

• Archived User
Soul Calibur 2
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2003, 12:45:00 PM »

Anyone know where to download all necessary files to compile an ISO of Soul Calibur II or any games for that matter?
Let me know than.

AIM me at smacketh79

MGSnake19

• Archived User
Soul Calibur 2
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2003, 07:19:00 PM »

laugh.gif if you guys wanna know about soul caliber transaltion go here :

ripper182

• Archived User
Soul Calibur 2
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2003, 07:02:00 PM »

i just downloaded it but havent put it in a hex editor but would really like to be on  team to hack this.

pkScary

• Archived User
Soul Calibur 2
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2003, 08:40:00 PM »

So is editing the censored word list possible? Such as replacing sex with jqw, or another random filler.

Also, does anyone know how to edit root.olk?

Hammy

• Archived User
Soul Calibur 2
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2003, 03:32:00 AM »

As an added comment,i don't care about added weapons as this game is really easy to complete if you play fighting games like i do and i don't need extra weapons to bet this great game,The trick here is to know your moves and use them the right way,as i have played fighting games and car racing game for 30 years there is no fighting game that can bet me but godzilla is great and it is giving me a hard time :lol:

Pyr0iD

• Archived User
Soul Calibur 2
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2003, 06:35:00 PM »

thx for that Hammy, but obviously there are ppl that are interested in the extra weapons, etc
as seen in the posts above