xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Heatsinks Extremely Hot  (Read 91 times)

lcollier93

• Archived User
Heatsinks Extremely Hot
« on: December 01, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »

I've just fixed a RROD xbox with the xclamps mod. however, the heatsinks(both the gpu and cpu) get extremely hot, like hurts if you touch it, just after about 2 minutes. I'm pretty sure this isn't normal. On my other xbox i have a 12V mod should I do that to this one to? are there any other things i could do?

ryman663

• Archived User
Heatsinks Extremely Hot
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 10:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(lcollier93 @ Dec 2 2009, 06:15 AM) View Post

I've just fixed a RROD xbox with the xclamps mod. however, the heatsinks(both the gpu and cpu) get extremely hot, like hurts if you touch it, just after about 2 minutes. I'm pretty sure this isn't normal. On my other xbox i have a 12V mod should I do that to this one to? are there any other things i could do?

well this is going to sound wierd, but this could actually be a good thing. When you did the x clamp mod the heatsink made better contact with the processor, thus removing more heat from the processor. And i would recommend doing the 9 volt mod (here), it is just as effective but much less noise. Another helpful mod is the fan shroud mod found (here) it helps control the airflow to cover the entire heatsink..   Good luck and happy gaming:)

majinsoftware

• Archived User
Heatsinks Extremely Hot
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 11:25:00 PM »

Yeah its a good thing for them to be hot. Means the heats going into them. Now you want to improve the heat being removed from them.

Make sure they arnt clogged up with dust and that they have lots of air flow.

lcollier93

• Archived User
Heatsinks Extremely Hot
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(ryman663 @ Dec 1 2009, 11:54 PM) View Post

well this is going to sound wierd, but this could actually be a good thing. When you did the x clamp mod the heatsink made better contact with the processor, thus removing more heat from the processor. And i would recommend doing the 9 volt mod (here), it is just as effective but much less noise. Another helpful mod is the fan shroud mod found (here) it helps control the airflow to cover the entire heatsink..   Good luck and happy gaming:)

ok see I thought that it might be good for that exact reason but wasn't sure so i thought I'd ask. anyways thanks alot those were the two things I was considering so I'll do that.