xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Jasper Problem Or Nxe Problem?  (Read 229 times)

-suo

• Archived User
Jasper Problem Or Nxe Problem?
« on: January 15, 2009, 01:42:00 AM »

I got a Xbox Arcade for Christmas. It ran great for a few days or at least I thought so until I applied the NXE update. Now about 1 in 20 boots it freezes at the logo screen and the resolution goes from 1080i to 480 and the screen shift to the left by one inch. So I bought the live starter pack with the 60 gb HD thinking my 2 mb of free memory was causing the problem. Well that had no effect at all and still 1 in 20 boots the unit freeze. Otherwise it boots fine and works perfect.

I'm 100% that its a Jasper cause it has the Jasper PSU and the 12 volt rail is 12.1 amps. So here is my question.
Does this sound like a NXE problem or a problem with the hardware?

I beleve the unit was purchased on Dec 23 so I have a few days to swap it out at Gamestop. Im afraid to send it in to Microsoft cause I don't want a Zepher or Falcon chip set.

What should I do? I want to say its software and just live with the problem till a patch comes out but if its hardware well I need to return asap.

If it matters I uses the HDMI port.

El3M3nT

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 07:26:00 AM »

If its bricked and your xbox freezes at the logo then I would return it. And if your afraid you won't get a jasper, I got one when I returned mine and I got it back a week ago so you can hope for the best!

-suo

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 10:17:00 AM »

I wouldn't say bricking cause it just freeze on the boot when its cold. Like I said 1 in 20 boots it locks at the Xbox screen and with a simple restart the problem is gone. Does this sound like software like when windows freeze up at the windows loading screen or is this a major hardware issue?

woody21_1

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »

i have read of a faulty batch of jasper, so i have read these have faulty memory and cause lockups occasionally while playing games.
if you call ms and give them the serial number of the console they can tell you if it was one of the affected consoles but it is rare.

if you do get it replaced by ms they should give you the same type hardware back, i have read that faulty jaspers that were sent back were replaced with jaspers and this should be true as your 150w jasper power supply will only work wih jasper, older machines it wont even plug into and if it did it would cause instability if it even booted.

in the uk if its less than 30 days old you are legally entitled to a replacement from the shop it was bought from and dont have to deal with ms, in those first 30 days you can refuse a refurb/repair and swap for a brand new one (some shops dont play ball but tell them you know your rights and they soon back down)
have a check if you can do that.

-suo

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »

I just swap my arcade out for a new one. Now the back of the xbox says 12v-12.1 amps but the PSU says 14.1 amps and it plugs in perfectly. I'm scared to turn it on. Should I go get a third unit?

-suo

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »

After doing some reading I found out that the PSU are forward compatible. This means the newest consoles can run any PSU but a Zypher or Falcon cant use the 150w Jasper PSU. So MS is recycling some older PSU.

-suo

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 02:32:00 PM »

I'm returning the second unit as it froze up in game, my first unit didn't do that. If it freeze up once it will most likey do it again. Haven't even owned a 360 for 30 days and I am on my third console.

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(-suo @ Jan 15 2009, 04:18 AM) *

I got a Xbox Arcade for Christmas. It ran great for a few days or at least I thought so until I applied the NXE update. Now about 1 in 20 boots it freezes at the logo screen and the resolution goes from 1080i to 480 and the screen shift to the left by one inch. So I bought the live starter pack with the 60 gb HD thinking my 2 mb of free memory was causing the problem. Well that had no effect at all and still 1 in 20 boots the unit freeze. Otherwise it boots fine and works perfect.

I'm 100% that its a Jasper cause it has the Jasper PSU and the 12 volt rail is 12.1 amps. So here is my question.
Does this sound like a NXE problem or a problem with the hardware?

I beleve the unit was purchased on Dec 23 so I have a few days to swap it out at Gamestop. Im afraid to send it in to Microsoft cause I don't want a Zepher or Falcon chip set.

What should I do? I want to say its software and just live with the problem till a patch comes out but if its hardware well I need to return asap.

If it matters I uses the HDMI port.

i seem to remember reading about some jaspers shipping with faulty ram. call ms and tell them its freezing, or take it back for an exchange.

---edit---

oops, replied without reading the other responses. woody beat me to it.

This post has been edited by Reaper527: Jan 15 2009, 11:16 PM

-suo

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »

Ok I'm on my third Jasper. Got the correct PSU this time. This unit also locked up during Fable II. All the Lot numbers were different. Had a X0845, X0848 and now a X0850. Build Dates were also all different. Gamespot told me if I have another problem to take it up with Microsoft. Do I have mail my xbox in after 1 day???

This has to be a NXE problem.

Three Xbox's in one day all Jaspers, all defective, all different builds. Does this mean I set a new record?

supersdude1691

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »

It could be a problem with where you're plugging the power supply in at, try plugging it directly into the wall if you have it in a power strip. This worked for me one time. If that doesn't help, i would demand a refund at gamestop and buy an xbox elsewhere.

Danny-boy

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 05:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(supersdude1691 @ Jan 16 2009, 12:39 AM) *

It could be a problem with where you're plugging the power supply in at, try plugging it directly into the wall if you have it in a power strip. This worked for me one time. If that doesn't help, i would demand a refund at gamestop and buy an xbox elsewhere.

Couldnt agree more, take it back get a refund and buy someone from another store. 3 in a day is ridiculous!

This post has been edited by Danny-boy: Jan 16 2009, 01:21 AM

-suo

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 06:32:00 PM »

The newest unit works great in fact the second time it froze I was easly able to get into the xbox menu and go back to the Dash. This show that Fable 2 was the real issue. Maybe the second console was fine. If anything im presuming my first console did have an issue (Possible memory) and  thats why it froze at boot. The second and third just have NXE problems I guess. Only odd thing  I did was stupidly plug the HD in when the unit was on. But Im not worryed SATA is hotswap able.

At this point Ill keep it, if it freeze with other game then im going to return it and be done with console gameing all together and stick with PC.

Millerboy3

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 02:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(-suo @ Jan 15 2009, 09:08 PM) *

The newest unit works great in fact the second time it froze I was easly able to get into the xbox menu and go back to the Dash. This show that Fable 2 was the real issue. Maybe the second console was fine. If anything im presuming my first console did have an issue (Possible memory) and  thats why it froze at boot. The second and third just have NXE problems I guess. Only odd thing  I did was stupidly plug the HD in when the unit was on. But Im not worryed SATA is hotswap able.

At this point Ill keep it, if it freeze with other game then im going to return it and be done with console gameing all together and stick with PC.

sounds like you have a plan... but have you tested any other games?

-suo

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 04:03:00 AM »

Interesting night. My Friend came over with his xbox 3rrod same day as my mad console swap. We baked his unit in a towel and it fixed his problem. So we were playing some Fable 2 coop while we cooked his unit and the game froze up 2 twice. I put in GTA4, Fallout3 and Forza 2 all run fine for about 30 mins before I decide to move on to the next game. Tried fable 2 again it locks up. Delete game from HD, delete Knothole DLC, perform maintenance on HD. Started a new game from a fresh start locked up before the tutorial ended leaving me to watch the beginning again.

First Jasper (x0845)- Lockup at boot logo on cold start every other day. No issues once started
Second Jasper (x0848) -Ran slow, Locked up 5 mins into Fable 2.
Third Jasper (x0850)- Locks up after 5 mins in fable 2.

???

-suo

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 12:36:00 PM »

Other games are now freezing. WTF (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)