xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 360 Red Ring Of Death. I've Tried Seemingly Everything...  (Read 50 times)

HawkPidgeon

• Archived User
360 Red Ring Of Death. I've Tried Seemingly Everything...
« on: September 20, 2008, 02:15:00 AM »

I like saving money; it's almost imperative given the United States' economy these days. So I ordered a broken 360 off of Ebay for 10 bucks, thinking I could fix it using the well-known x clamp fix. I've been trying for two days to get it to work. I've overheated my Xbox dozens of times, and I've even tried the towel trick in combination with the x clamp fix. A few minutes ago I tried the penny trick... I've had no success. I always get error 0022: "GPU Error / GPU Overheating" according to Llamma. Does anyone have any ideas? I'd really like to get this thing working...

HawkPidgeon

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 03:55:00 AM »

Sorry for the double post... I couldn't find an edit button. I wanted to add that it takes about 20 seconds before the red lights start flashing. Also... when I opened up my 360 for the first time I noticed that it had none of the rubber pads on the memory chips around the GPU on the bottom of the board that most 360's have. Could that be causing my problem?

Professor_Xbox

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 07:37:00 AM »

Depends what x-clamp fix you bought. If you buy from me (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/xbox_expert) then you'll get it with Antec thermal paste. You did use thermal paste, right?

Also the x-clamp kits that drill through the case aren't v good - Case flexes when it gets hot. Board warps.

The towel trick is the worst thing to do since it will blow up the capacitors - when you look at them do they look flat or bowed up? If flat you're still okay, otherwise that might be your problem. Altho from experience I'd say ANA chip.

The whole rubber pads on RAM chips/penny trick/Xecuter fix is overrated.

As you will see from here the 0022 error is more likely a scaler/(H)ANA chip problem;
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=484726

"There is high chance it's a scaler chip problem (the "ANA" or "HANA" chip near the AV cable connection)"

Which means you're going to need to heatgun your console.

This post has been edited by Professor_Xbox: Sep 20 2008, 02:40 PM

HawkPidgeon

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »

Thanks bunches for your reply. I do have blown caps... I guess that's my own fault. I've seen lots of stuff run (albeit slowly) with swollen capacitors before though; I'm still gonna try. Is there anything I can use in place of a heat gun? And I used Llamma's kit... so I did drill through the case. However I placed the screws inside of the case and am now using only 4 washers instead of 5, more like the kits that don't require you to drill. Thanks again for your help! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Professor_Xbox

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 01:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(HawkPidgeon @ Sep 20 2008, 06:40 PM) *

Is there anything I can use in place of a heat gun? And I used Llamma's kit... so I did drill through the case. However I placed the screws inside of the case and am now using only 4 washers instead of 5, more like the kits that don't require you to drill. Thanks again for your help! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

No, I've had people using hairdryers by getting the console hot (with the fans on CPU) and then hairdryer onto ANA chip and it has worked but only for 5 mins!

Xbox Scene has a good section on how to heatgun by Wilheim I:
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=651407

Nonetheless it is tricky!

If you really don't want/can't heatgun then lets go with this .......and this is me being completely experimental but hey, experimentation is fun!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Not sure about the whole x-clamp you have - seems odd. Guess you had to cut the GPU heatsink to get the screws to fit. Hopefully you only have 1 washer (or none) on the underside (spring washer would be great but if not then no washer is probably better than any since it won't have any effect.)
2 washers on top of motherboard? Thermal paste too.

Okay. First take the fans out. Also the DVD. Fan shroud out so you can access the ANA chip easier.

Then with the motherboard sitting in the case but not screwed in (just the front board with the lights slotted in) rest the fans on the CPU heatsink (and plug them in!!!) Get some 1/4 inch washers - nice and heavy duty things - (3 should do it) and rest them on the scaler chip (it's the one with XBOX 360 in a silver circle).

Turn on Xbox (with power and AV cables in). Wait for 10 mins til it gets hot. Then put hairdryer over the scaler chip and concentrate on that chip for 1 min at max hairdryer power. Then turn off for 20 mins ...at the wall - if you unplug at the back and the washers slip off the chip then might short something - see, told you experimentation is fun!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
Turn on and see what happens!

SAFETY NOTE: The Xbox has 12V power through it so not a great chance of electrocution... unless you're a mouse! However whilst the chance of hairdryer + xbox = kaboom!!! are slim to none just be careful. Don't be having a cup of tea or a bath whilst doing this! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif)

My thinking is the hairdryer + xbox heat softens the BGA solder. This then presses down because of the washers ontop and you have yourself a connection! Working xbox! (Yes, it's a slim chance Wilheim I/anyone else that's going to flame this idea! but HawkPidgeon you are my guinea pig!!)

This post has been edited by Professor_Xbox: Sep 20 2008, 08:17 PM

HawkPidgeon

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 02:01:00 PM »

Thanks for the reply again! I'll definitely try this! Think I could use quarters or some other large coins in place of the washers? And yes... I have Arctic Silver Ceramique thermal paste on the processor dies and I have two washer both under the motherboard and on top. You're saying you want me to take the washers out from underneath the board? Thank you so much!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

humboldt111502

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 02:19:00 PM »

Most hairdryers barely get 60 degrees celcius, and any conncection caused by that would be from temporary flexing or warping until contact is made....or even flatten and bridge solder balls if weights are added on top.   To get a good new connection, the lead free solder needs to be heated to about 230-240 degrees celcius for it to melts all the alloys inside the solder and make a new solid connection.  The only problem is that these temps can ruin other components on the board and melt plastic, so proper isolation of those parts is critical.  Another thing is that everytime the solder gets heated to extreme temps, some oxidation occurs making it harder and harder to make a good connection with each new attempt, so get it right the first time.  Good luck with the hair dryer though, will be interesting to see how long/if it works.

HawkPidgeon

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 03:08:00 PM »

Hmm. Well I took away one layer of washer on the underside of the board... I'm thinking I might just want to try getting another one off eBay. I'm not sure what else to do. If the hairdryer's only going to provide a very temporary fix, then I'm not sure I want to try it. I want a 360 that really works.

Professor_Xbox

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 04:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(HawkPidgeon @ Sep 20 2008, 10:08 PM) *

If the hairdryer's only going to provide a very temporary fix, then I'm not sure I want to try it. I want a 360 that really works.
Damn, there goes my guinea pig!   (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

The only way to fix it permanently would be the heatgun method. If you want to buy a better x-clamp fix I sell those on ebay (and ship Worldwide);
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/xbox_expert

However, I think either way you'll need to heatgun. BUT....... it might JUST work with the extra washers. Humbald is wrong about squishing the solder balls. The hairdryer just won't get it hot enough at all. The best it will do is slightly soften and with the washers on top it might just stick back on. I'd give it 40-50% chance of working. Heatgun 100% chance (if done right).

This post has been edited by Professor_Xbox: Sep 20 2008, 11:31 PM

HawkPidgeon

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 04:34:00 PM »

Thanks for the link, I'm going to bookmark that. Extra washers? I thought you told me to take washers out... and I'm going into town today, so I'll check to see what my options are in terms of a heat gun. Thanks again.

HawkPidgeon

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 08:24:00 PM »

Every time I try to overheat the 360, I get a different error. It's usually either 0022, 0102, or 0020. Right now it's 0020... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

HawkPidgeon

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 11:41:00 PM »

I'm just gonna buy another one... Thanks for your help though guys ^^. I'll remember your eBay store for when I need some x clamp fixes.