xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Falcon 360 Dead Rrod Strikes Again  (Read 215 times)

-Big-Daddy-

• Archived User
Falcon 360 Dead Rrod Strikes Again
« on: August 13, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »

Had my falcon 360 since january this year.... never had any freezes or blips whilst gaming was happily playing battlefield bad company today had a break for half hour  turned it back on and its dead with 3 red rings flashing.

Here was me thinking i was some how immune to this with it being a falcon but now i have been proven wrong.
This is my 4th 360 to die and it has died quicker then my other old generation systems to say im not impressed does not quite cover it.

I am posting here for advice i have x clamped my other older  systems can this same fix be done with the newer build systems?  

I am just so pissed off i never play no longer then 1 or 2 hours at a time  always give it breaks... always well ventilated i just cant figure out where its all gone wrong other then microsoft have got a lot to answer for with the quality of their products!

I know i could send it off to MS for free but the problem is i want to keep my system not be sent back a refurb someone else has ragged to death.

The only link i can think of is yesterday i was using the hard drive to download demos from live.  normally i just use the lil memory units.....  i have found from painful experience everytime i snap on the 20gb hard drive the system always dies shortly after, my last system died after using the HDD for a few hours also   coincidence?!  after losing several systems in a similer fashion im beginning to question this fact....   attachment of HDD possibly overloading the crappy hardware?!

brandogg

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 09:26:00 PM »

Send it in, don't even consider anything else. There's a semi-decent chance you'll get a new "Jasper" system back (don't hold your breath), but the system you get back can't be any worse off than the one you send in.

Wilhelm_I

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 12:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(-Big-Daddy- @ Aug 14 2008, 01:18 AM) *

Had my falcon 360 since january this year.... never had any freezes or blips whilst gaming was happily playing battlefield bad company today had a break for half hour  turned it back on and its dead with 3 red rings flashing.

Here was me thinking i was some how immune to this with it being a falcon but now i have been proven wrong.
This is my 4th 360 to die and it has died quicker then my other old generation systems to say im not impressed does not quite cover it.

I am posting here for advice i have x clamped my other older  systems can this same fix be done with the newer build systems?  

I am just so pissed off i never play no longer then 1 or 2 hours at a time  always give it breaks... always well ventilated i just cant figure out where its all gone wrong other then microsoft have got a lot to answer for with the quality of their products!

I know i could send it off to MS for free but the problem is i want to keep my system not be sent back a refurb someone else has ragged to death.

The only link i can think of is yesterday i was using the hard drive to download demos from live.  normally i just use the lil memory units.....  i have found from painful experience everytime i snap on the 20gb hard drive the system always dies shortly after, my last system died after using the HDD for a few hours also   coincidence?!  after losing several systems in a similer fashion im beginning to question this fact....   attachment of HDD possibly overloading the crappy hardware?!

It is just a matter of time till any system fails if they dont get rid of the x-clamps...
The area under CPU and GPU is still flexing...

Send it in to Microsoft first because they will reflow it for you, IF you still want to prevent from dying again or so you can still do the X-Clamp replacement.
I would recommend that you go for the warranty though.

QUOTE(brandogg @ Aug 14 2008, 05:26 AM) *

Send it in, don't even consider anything else. There's a semi-decent chance you'll get a new "Jasper" system back (don't hold your breath), but the system you get back can't be any worse off than the one you send in.

Yep there is a chance hes getting one of these

Arakon

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 02:11:00 AM »

No, there's not. Jasper is not in circulation yet, and MS always replaces the MB for the same model that you sent in. Send in a Zephyr, get back a Zephyr. Send in Falcon, you get Falcon.

Retman

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 03:06:00 AM »

QUOTE(Arakon @ Aug 14 2008, 09:11 AM) *

No, there's not. Jasper is not in circulation yet, and MS always replaces the MB for the same model that you sent in. Send in a Zephyr, get back a Zephyr. Send in Falcon, you get Falcon.

No, Jasper's were spotted in repair consoles.

jimbobjim

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 03:54:00 AM »

QUOTE(Retman @ Aug 14 2008, 10:06 AM) *

No, Jasper's were spotted in repair consoles.

No, that was Opus.

-Big-Daddy-

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 05:40:00 AM »

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah now i've slept on it i am leaning on more sending the system in to MS its their mess let them deal with it. Problem is i'm not daft they are bound to swap my peachy benq drive for a lite on surely?  i know there is nothing wrong with that drive so if they have the cheek to take it out its obvious they wanna push the unhackable drives more into the wild.

Also does anyone know what the average turnaround now is for sending 360s in and getting them back? im in UK....

It really does go to show when people out there are buying these new consoles thinking they are a lot safer from RROD it cant be further from the truth... the epidemic is still ongoing and will be until they address the x clamps.

Hooked up my spare 360 with samsung drive also last night to play on and it looks like through its semi retirement the dvd drive has knackered up now unbelievable!   judging from the symptons its showing it needs the pot calibration trick done.   i found a guide from here  which looks good.

I'm not having much luck on the 360 front at the moment for sure.

Retman

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 05:53:00 AM »

Yeah you will get a nice unflashable lite-on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

QUOTE(jimbobjim @ Aug 14 2008, 10:54 AM) *

No, that was Opus.

Whoops, hang on what are you lot saying he will get a Jasper?

ARE YOU CRAZY!? They come out later on in 2008

-Big-Daddy-

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 06:04:00 AM »

Lite on drive sounds a dream...... not  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

If i get a jasper back i would deserve it im going through a state of mourning right now  lol

haris2887

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 06:19:00 AM »

if u send it in you might get the new lite-on driver which are not flashable...

XBOXIZGOOD

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 03:30:00 PM »

Unfortunately, my BenQ drive broke and I just sent my 360 in. I guess I will now get the dreaded LiteOn drive, which I'm fine with as long as it works.

-Big-Daddy-

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 06:01:00 PM »

Finally some good news to report went to work on my samsung drive from the spare 360 which was suddenly not reading barely any games..  you know the usual shite  open tray error,  drive just generally being a prick reading one minute then not the next.

Done the pot calibration trick and now games on all kinds of media works a charm... now just need to get the falcon unit mended.