xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Wth? Screw Issue For X-clamp Fix?  (Read 49 times)

zero.Fx

• Archived User
Wth? Screw Issue For X-clamp Fix?
« on: August 02, 2008, 01:54:00 AM »

Alright guys - I have a serious issue here. I followed Llama's guide and did everything until I stopped at the drilling part.

I drilled the holes with a 13/64 drill.

I purchased the M5 .80 x 10 (oval head) screws with Nylon washers (size 10 I believe... but not flat I think) and it's too short but I tried screwing it tighter, and there would just be no effect whatsoever, meaning it just wouldn't screw tighter or anything...

I'm not a mechanic guy or anything - but before I buy any new screws for the x-clamp fix, should I be purchasing the M5 screws in the first place?

What do you recommend me?

Thanks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

This post has been edited by zero.Fx: Aug 2 2008, 08:57 AM

Wilhelm_I

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 02:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(zero.Fx @ Aug 2 2008, 10:30 AM) *

Alright guys - I have a serious issue here. I followed Llama's guide and did everything until I stopped at the drilling part.

I drilled the holes with a 13/64 drill.

I purchased the M5 .80 x 10 (oval head) screws with Nylon washers (size 10 I believe... but not flat I think) and it's too short but I tried screwing it tighter, and there would just be no effect whatsoever, meaning it just wouldn't screw tighter or anything...

I'm not a mechanic guy or anything - but before I buy any new screws for the x-clamp fix, should I be purchasing the M5 screws in the first place?

What do you recommend me?

10mm sounds indeed a bit too short...
If you want to screw through the case you will need 3mm additionally, so try to get some with 15mm length or so...
Otherwise just use my tutorial, then you dont have to screw through the case at all.

zero.Fx

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 02:08:00 AM »

QUOTE(Wilhelm_I @ Aug 2 2008, 04:40 AM) *

10mm sounds indeed a bit too short...
If you want to screw through the case you will need 3mm additionally, so try to get some with 15mm length or so...
Otherwise just use my tutorial, then you dont have to screw through the case at all.

Hi Wilheim, thank you for the quick response man. How about a 20 mm one, just to be safe and not panic about THAT being short?  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

But seriously I really don't know why it wouldn't even tighten at all, do you know what the reason could possibly be?

Wilhelm_I

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 02:13:00 AM »

QUOTE(zero.Fx @ Aug 2 2008, 10:44 AM) *

Hi Wilheim, thank you for the quick response man. How about a 20 mm one, just to be safe and not panic about THAT being short?  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

But seriously I really don't know why it wouldn't even tighten at all, do you know what the reason could possibly be?

Well because the screw is simply too short to reach the heatsink.
Dont get 20mm ones they will be too long, then you will have to cut holes into the GPU heatsink and if you are unlucky the DVD-drive wont fit into the case anymore...
15mm is good you got 2mm additional, the only thing you have to worry about there is that they are too long..

zero.Fx

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 02:22:00 AM »

QUOTE(Wilhelm_I @ Aug 2 2008, 04:49 AM) *

Well because the screw is simply too short to reach the heatsink.
Dont get 20mm ones they will be too long, then you will have to cut holes into the GPU heatsink and if you are unlucky the DVD-drive wont fit into the case anymore...
15mm is good you got 2mm additional, the only thing you have to worry about there is that they are too long..

I'll get the 15 mm one's but hopefully they won't bet too long?  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I've went to the hardware stores with my Mom quite a few times and she is getting mad about it - calling my Xbox a shitbox LOL... so hopefully this is the right size...  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy.gif)

Edit: MUST the screw be flat headed + the nylon washer?? Do you think this is long enough to put the screws from the case?

This post has been edited by zero.Fx: Aug 2 2008, 09:25 AM

Wilhelm_I

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 02:25:00 AM »

QUOTE(zero.Fx @ Aug 2 2008, 10:58 AM) *

I'll get the 15 mm one's but hopefully they won't bet too long?  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I've went to the hardware stores with my Mom quite a few times and she is getting mad about it - calling my Xbox a shitbox LOL... so hopefully this is the right size...  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy.gif)

Edit: MUST the screw be flat headed + the nylon washer??

The size of the head of the screw pretty much doesnt matter if you screw it through the case

zero.Fx

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 02:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(Wilhelm_I @ Aug 2 2008, 05:01 AM) *

The size of the head of the screw pretty much doesnt matter if you screw it through the case

Alright man - just another one - will a 15 mm be long enough to go from the outside of the case into the heatsink?

Wilhelm_I

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 02:30:00 AM »

Yes definitely, you need a screw that is 3mm longer which is 13mm, there are no 13mm ones so you are getting a 15mm one.
This means that you got 2mm additionally in case I forgot anything or so.
It will reach the heatsink for sure...

zero.Fx

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 02:33:00 AM »

QUOTE(Wilhelm_I @ Aug 2 2008, 05:06 AM) *

Yes definitely, you need a screw that is 3mm longer which is 13mm, there are no 13mm ones so you are getting a 15mm one.
This means that you got 2mm additionally in case I forgot anything or so.
It will reach the heatsink for sure...

Thanks for the help man, it was greatly appreciated.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)