xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27

Author Topic: Tutorial: Wilhelm's Improved X-clamp Replacement  (Read 2913 times)

balenski79

• Archived User
Tutorial: Wilhelm's Improved X-clamp Replacement
« Reply #375 on: November 02, 2008, 06:40:00 PM »

I am not sure because i dont have a temp gun but gauging it off the temp of the air coming out of the back of the 360 it dosent feel any hotter than room temp just real powerful "wind" coming out of the thing.. I did notice a massive difference though when i removed the card from the GPU Heatsink in the fact that it was just cool to touch,, No where near how hot it was before the mod, i would say near to room temp again..

farntheplaya

• Archived User
« Reply #376 on: November 02, 2008, 07:38:00 PM »

excelent work balenski79 just a quick question

would you suggest putting a smaller fan near the Harddrive connector as there are some holes there and you can get some airflow inside the system

balenski79

• Archived User
« Reply #377 on: November 02, 2008, 07:42:00 PM »

The more airflow you can get into the xbox 360 the better, The fans at the back modded to 12v are ample to drag the air out but remember.. Once you do this mod the cpu heatsink is the sucking point for all other air in the case that isent part of the ducting system

Wilhelm_I

• Archived User
« Reply #378 on: November 03, 2008, 12:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(farntheplaya @ Nov 3 2008, 04:14 AM) View Post

excelent work balenski79 just a quick question

would you suggest putting a smaller fan near the Harddrive connector as there are some holes there and you can get some airflow inside the system

You wont be able to fit a fan on the left, it must be thinner than 1mm and not bigger than 3x3mm...

This extended fan shroud is a good idea though, will bring 2 or 3 extra °C

siskue2005

• Archived User
« Reply #379 on: November 03, 2008, 05:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(siskue2005 @ Nov 4 2008, 05:55 AM) View Post

but i am a bit confused , where does the AMD fan draw air from??
Should i make a round hole in the 360 outer case?? so that the fan gets more air from outside?(i saw a similar photo of a 360 in Llamma's site)

is the AMD fan drawing air inwards or pushing it outwards???  huh.gif

why cant i edit??

anyways
i was talking about this picture
should i make a hole like this??
IPB Image

and also i saw people adding two fans inside like this
is it worth trying that??
plz help thankz
IPB Image

balenski79

• Archived User
« Reply #380 on: November 03, 2008, 06:24:00 PM »

yeah the pic looks ok, just put a grille over it or somethin to protect any unwanted fingers bein mangled up,

the fan is pushing air into the xbox not drawing it!!!!

MAKE SURE YOU GET THIS THE RIGHT WAY AROUND OR ELSE FRONT AND BACK FANS WILL CANCEL EACH OTHER OUT AND THE WHOLE THING IS POINTLESS (CHECK THE ARROWS ON THE SIDE OF THE FAN FOR DIRECTION OF SPIN AND FLOW OF AIR

as for the cardboard no it should be fine, the cardboard i used was the dual layered corrugated stuff which you could bend into a perfect line so it acts as an airgap between top and bottom layers prob 1-2mm thick.

the cardboard only acts as a duct for the air to travel so by the time the air is being passed over the heatsinks it wont have time to heat up... Unless you got something SERIOUSLY wrong with ur xbox but yeah mate that should be ok!

siskue2005

• Archived User
« Reply #381 on: November 04, 2008, 12:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(balenski79 @ Nov 4 2008, 07:30 AM) View Post

yeah the pic looks ok, just put a grille over it or somethin to protect any unwanted fingers bein mangled up,

the fan is pushing air into the xbox not drawing it!!!!

MAKE SURE YOU GET THIS THE RIGHT WAY AROUND OR ELSE FRONT AND BACK FANS WILL CANCEL EACH OTHER OUT AND THE WHOLE THING IS POINTLESS (CHECK THE ARROWS ON THE SIDE OF THE FAN FOR DIRECTION OF SPIN AND FLOW OF AIR

as for the cardboard no it should be fine, the cardboard i used was the dual layered corrugated stuff which you could bend into a perfect line so it acts as an airgap between top and bottom layers prob 1-2mm thick.

the cardboard only acts as a duct for the air to travel so by the time the air is being passed over the heatsinks it wont have time to heat up... Unless you got something SERIOUSLY wrong with ur xbox but yeah mate that should be ok!

Thank u for u help mate love.gif
very much appreciate it  pop.gif

but one more question
this pic, setting 2 fans inside on right side will even more increase its efficiency isnt it?
should i put an extra fan in there?? like this
IPB Image

the XCM powerfull fans, are they any good?? should i buy them?
if i make the stock fans 12V will it make them as powerfull as xcm?
or does the xcm take too much electriclty and which damages the 360?
plz help me with this one too smile.gif

siskue2005

• Archived User
« Reply #382 on: November 04, 2008, 01:43:00 PM »

any help please?  sad.gif

balenski79

• Archived User
« Reply #383 on: November 05, 2008, 05:04:00 AM »

I find that the one fan does the trick... You see you have got to remember, the air is directed from the front fan and the airflow continues in motion towards the back of the case, If you put any fans blowing sideways into this ducting system you will slow this airflow down. Think of a jet engine sucking air in and blowing out then a sidewind entering the side of the engine disrupting the flow..

Maybe that is a bit OTT for an explanation but its the best i got right now that describes the way i see it.

The fan i fitted was 70mm and running at 12v 3800rpm produces around 40cfm which for this application is more than fine. Check this out

http://cgi.ebay.com/...031010002r14483

The XCM Cooler is a fan which dosent have the ducting system.
The back fans are fine with more volts unless you want cool looking LEDs
If you get this system up and running on a shoestring budget you will find it more satisfying.

If i was gonna add any more fans to this system it would be EXTERNAL fans blowing In on the opposite side to the HD.. See i dont think it is a good idea to have the 360 standing up because the low level heat from the CPU is rising up to the GPU and the pull of the heatsinks wont do a pre-rrod system any good.

Hope this helps!

siskue2005

• Archived User
« Reply #384 on: November 05, 2008, 07:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(balenski79 @ Nov 5 2008, 06:10 PM) View Post

I find that the one fan does the trick... You see you have got to remember, the air is directed from the front fan and the airflow continues in motion towards the back of the case, If you put any fans blowing sideways into this ducting system you will slow this airflow down. Think of a jet engine sucking air in and blowing out then a sidewind entering the side of the engine disrupting the flow..

Maybe that is a bit OTT for an explanation but its the best i got right now that describes the way i see it.

The fan i fitted was 70mm and running at 12v 3800rpm produces around 40cfm which for this application is more than fine. Check this out

http://cgi.ebay.com/...031010002r14483

The XCM Cooler is a fan which dosent have the ducting system.
The back fans are fine with more volts unless you want cool looking LEDs
If you get this system up and running on a shoestring budget you will find it more satisfying.

If i was gonna add any more fans to this system it would be EXTERNAL fans blowing In on the opposite side to the HD.. See i dont think it is a good idea to have the 360 standing up because the low level heat from the CPU is rising up to the GPU and the pull of the heatsinks wont do a pre-rrod system any good.

Hope this helps!

thank u mate, thankz alot
Today i went to a local shop and i saw the exact same fan there!
But there are 3 wires in that! unsure.gif  that confused me!
can u tell me what are those three wires
As the tutorial u posted the fans only have 2 wires!
Can u tell me the color code of those three wires.... plz help me where those 3 wires go? uhh.gif

siskue2005

• Archived User
« Reply #385 on: November 05, 2008, 09:10:00 AM »

i think i got it

The Red/Black/Blue wire i have

in that the Red is Live Black is ground and blue is for fans' speed control
So i would just leave it alone and connect those two with it!

Is that how it works? biggrin.gif

balenski79

• Archived User
« Reply #386 on: November 05, 2008, 12:39:00 PM »

red is live
black is ground
blue is fan speed

if you look at the rf module you have 3 black screws holding it on...

make a ring in the black wire and solder it so it is a solid ring that can't come apart then attach it to the top left screw that fastens the rf module on. that will give you a good ground point!

No probs!

Wilhelm_I

• Archived User
« Reply #387 on: November 05, 2008, 02:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(siskue2005 @ Nov 4 2008, 01:25 AM) View Post

Hi great modding stuff there, keep it up  love.gif

but i am a bit confused , where does the AMD fan draw air from??
Should i make a round hole in the 360 outer case?? so that the fan gets more air from outside?(i saw a similar photo of a 360 in Llamma's site)

is the AMD fan drawing air inwards or pushing it outwards???  huh.gif

I am bit confused

And also one thing, the cardboard u have kept over the GPU heatsink, will that burn or catch fire if the heat sink heats up?

plz help me!

thankz

The air intake fan witha  hole in the case will be a lot better than the XCM solution it sucks much more fresh air in, I got temp probes in my 360 and the same setup and it reduces core temps by around 9-11°C which is pretty good since I already got the 12V mod in there etc, so the decrease on stock systems will be even higher...

*EDIT*
And just to clear that up there is no way in hell that the heatsinks get hot enough to burn something, 90°C is pretty much the maximum you have to expect, this is the reason why overheating the 360 wont melt the solder as well...

siskue2005

• Archived User
« Reply #388 on: November 06, 2008, 01:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(Wilhelm_I @ Nov 6 2008, 04:02 AM) View Post

The air intake fan witha  hole in the case will be a lot better than the XCM solution it sucks much more fresh air in, I got temp probes in my 360 and the same setup and it reduces core temps by around 9-11°C which is pretty good since I already got the 12V mod in there etc, so the decrease on stock systems will be even higher...

*EDIT*
And just to clear that up there is no way in hell that the heatsinks get hot enough to burn something, 90°C is pretty much the maximum you have to expect, this is the reason why overheating the 360 wont melt the solder as well...

thank u very much for ur valuable comments

i just repaired my 360 with the method u posted together with LLAMA's type drilling the board and putting the screws from below!..... i also made the credit card piece a longer strips and set in all around the chip (except in GPU's upper side)...... and i am going to make the fans 12V and attaching shrouds and AMD fan with it!

thank you all , thank u very much love.gif

out4it

• Archived User
« Reply #389 on: November 06, 2008, 07:46:00 AM »

Just tried your method. Works like a charm the first time. No retightening. What I did was use spring washers on the bottom of the board. And just tightened until they were flat. Hope this holds up. I also took a dremel and cut a rectangular hole into the side of my case opposite the hd. I was looking and the air has to pass throught the holes in the plastic case, then through tiny holes in the metal case. Well I removed the metal and now I can feel the air being sucked in!!! By the way I had 3 red rings with error code 0020
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27