xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27

Author Topic: Tutorial: Wilhelm's Improved X-clamp Replacement  (Read 2921 times)

Wilhelm_I

• Archived User
Tutorial: Wilhelm's Improved X-clamp Replacement
« Reply #360 on: October 25, 2008, 04:54:00 AM »

Oh well, there we go again...

Sorry for being offline for a while but I had some stress, with school and yesterday conscription got my arse as well(ye we still got this over here).
Sucks pretty much that the government reserves the right to force young men to join the army but thats just the way it is.
As they found me suitable(T2) in the medical and psychological tests it looks like I am gonna be crawling in tactical gear with a G36C through the mud in the near future.
Havent got the letter yet with the date and shit but I am expecting it soon since I am almost done with college.
The whole fun will take at least a year.
I hope they will not decide to send me to Afghanistan to "fight for the peace"(thats the nice slogan of the German army lol)
Wont be online a lot in this time so... hope some of you will miss me at least a bit wink.gif

Alright, lets see what weve got here.

QUOTE(__Blaz0__ @ Oct 21 2008, 08:52 PM) View Post

Well, like many in this thread my Xbox has taken a straight path the the electronic graveyard.  Mid session in a Gears of War game, the screen went crazy with all types of characters.  At that point I knew it was busted.  I have witnessed a few vid card failures on PC's to know it was gone.  Turn box off, then back on.  Boom, red light.  #4, error code 74.  Just reading now, I learned how to test the secondary error code which I will try tonight.

Yesterday I picked up the hardware to swap out the X clamp.  The procedure went great.  Reattached the GPU heat sink, packed the DVD drive on, and plugged a fan in to cool CPU(At this point, it is just the motherboard sitting on a dictionary with everything loaded up on).  Turned on, look to my disbelief, it actually worked.  Lights go green and right to dashboard.  Turn to my buddy that stopped over and give high fives, etc.  All proud of myself I proceed to put everything back together.

I get it all back in place, back to normal, turn on power.  What do I see now, back to square one.  Light #4 comes on blinking red.  I'm not sure if I maybe wiggled something back into place when I was doing the X-clamp fix or what.  I plan on borrowing a heat gun tonight to try to give that a go.  Has anyone had a similar experience with it working then not?  I would love to be able to fix this as I am not just yet ready to plunk down my hard earned cash for something that is not my fault.  I take good care of my equipment and feel I am getting the short end of the stick here.  I have multiple original Xboxes that have never failed me.

-Blaz0

QUOTE(__Blaz0__ @ Oct 22 2008, 01:41 AM) View Post

extended error code is 1022.  checked the AV cable with a good one, not that, n=so I guess only thing left is encoder chip. sad.gif

E74 is pretty retarded, the 360s just randomly work sometimes even with the 1 red light still flashing but after a couple of minutes the screen will get artifacts etc...
Since the X-Clamp replacement didnt work you will have to give the heatgun a go this works in most cases...

QUOTE(Rickets06 @ Oct 24 2008, 10:29 PM) View Post

Hey guys, my cousins xbox had RROD 0020 (overheating?) and it's been about 4 weeks or so, and it started to freeze during the xbox splash animation and then it red ringed shortly afterwards 0102 (error in the digital back bone, ram, gpu/cpu)

So I tried my own version of your improved xclamp mod Wilhelm and I cleaned up the old thermal paste and added fresh paste.

It didn't work and I tried "baking" for the first time. I put the dvd drive in and put the fan face down on the cpu heatsink (blowing air IN, not sure if that's the best but it's easier)
I waited about 1:30 and shut it off, later on, it was still 0102.
I tried again and baked it for 2:00 and the fan reved up a little so I stopped it. Later on, it was great, I put it all back and played a game, and it froze (no sound, still picture) about 30 minutes in. Turning it on again gave 0102 again.
Took it all apart and baked it for 3:00 and it worked and later I played for maybe 10 minutes and it froze...

So, now, perhaps the fault is under the CPU and I should remove the dvd drive and the fan and let the CPU get hotter...
Or maybe I need to consider tightening my screws a bit as soon as the 360 has gotten hot. Do you think I need to let it cook so long that I get 2 red lights?

PS: hopefully the fault isn't under the ram... maybe I should find a couple washers to put on top? But I have a feeling the MOBO needs to be heatgunned  sad.gif

Guys, thanks so much for reading and shedding light on all this stuff, you're amazing  smile.gif

Overheating is not gonna fix it no matter how long you wait...
Adjust the tightness of the screws, make them tighter, just a bit you dont want it to get back 0020 if it does loosen them a bit...
If you cant make it go away at all you will have to heatgun it...

QUOTE(strife18 @ Oct 24 2008, 11:28 PM) View Post

Hey,
So i can get my xbox to work again after heatgunning.  It goes green lights and everything for a couple days and then stops and goes back to the 0102 problem initially.  It is the same as before  Im using nylon washers less thermal paste and have not received any overheating issues at all.  I use the credit card pieces on the corners too.  I do not move the Mobo until cooled and I do not move the Xbox after playing for the few days so I can't blame it on something hitting something loose.  You saw the pictures before and everything seems in place and I'm having a hard time explaining why it stops if I change nothing.  I know your prevailing theory is uneven pressure/stress on the mobo creating bad connection on GPU/CPU but there is no stress being put on them.  There is holes in the chassis giving plenty of room for my screws, the only other thing putting pressure on the mobo is the weight of the heatsinks and the screws holding the mobo in the case.  

Do you have any other theories or anything that I may be overlooking in the ways of pressure or stress?

Try to tighten the screws down more and see if this helps, it somehow looses contact after a bit again, and make sure that the cc pieces got the perfect height, that the actual chip die makes good contact but I guess I have told you already about that so just ignore it if you did it already...

QUOTE(CrackHour @ Oct 25 2008, 04:21 AM) View Post

Hey I think all this work you guyz have done to try and help with these issues are great and all, but instead of going through all the trouble with gpu dies, clamp pressure and so on, wouldn't it be easier to try and eliminate the real culprit which is heat. If you cooled the hell out of the box, wouldn't this prevent the board from warping to the point of dislodging the gpu or other components. How much would you need to cool it by to eliminate these problems.  These solutions seem more reactive than proactive, not knocking them if they work. Just wonder if another approach is needed.  I mean if Microsoft is designing smaller chips to put in newer versions and eventually two chips on one die and smaller chips mean less heat. Then it's pretty clear that the real issue is heat. Obviously once the damage is done, it's too late. But if they (Microsoft) sees excessive heat as the problem, then sounds probable that a good way of preventing these types of problems would require excessive cooling.  No?

Ye it is recommended to keep it as cool as possible this will prevent the deformations by heat.
However you must regard that there is always flexing no matter how warm it is, thanks to the X-Clamps and other design flaws that cause static flexing...
Falcons are failing more and more as well the older they get, just like the Xenon models, the cooling just makes it last slightly longer...

xlinkx

• Archived User
« Reply #361 on: October 27, 2008, 12:52:00 AM »

I fixed an RROD xbox with this tutorial a couple of days ago but the fan was running very fast and loud.  I've used it for 1 or 2 days then finally I got a 2 flashing redlights.  I did the heatgun trick and it started working again but the fan is still really loud.  I've fixed 4 or 5 xboxes already but i've never had this problem.  I appreciate any suggestions.

J_star

• Archived User
« Reply #362 on: October 27, 2008, 09:15:00 AM »

I bought mine washers, but 2 that i have spare i thought of using for the ram, is much lager then the ram itself i was wondering if this is a problem, its 20mm big

J_star

• Archived User
« Reply #363 on: October 27, 2008, 10:31:00 AM »

I did this version of x-clamp, but mine xbox whent frome showing no video to 3 red lights and doing nothing, not even spining the fans ohmy.gif

I tryd the word around, but nothing worked sad.gif

I think i broke it or i just wont turn on because it wont get hot afther 3 minuts

cuzifelt1ikeit

• Archived User
« Reply #364 on: October 27, 2008, 01:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(J_star @ Oct 27 2008, 06:07 PM) View Post

I did this version of x-clamp, but mine xbox whent frome showing no video to 3 red lights and doing nothing, not even spining the fans ohmy.gif

I tryd the word around, but nothing worked sad.gif

I think i broke it or i just wont turn on because it wont get hot afther 3 minuts

same thing happened to me. any idea whats up?

the power light on the brick doesnt change colors either, and it isnt the brick it does it with any brick

Rickets06

• Archived User
« Reply #365 on: October 27, 2008, 01:37:00 PM »

"Overheating is not gonna fix it no matter how long you wait...
Adjust the tightness of the screws, make them tighter, just a bit you dont want it to get back 0020 if it does loosen them a bit...
If you cant make it go away at all you will have to heatgun it..."

Thanks for the reply Wilhelm! Sorry about the news, stay sharp man... But uh, I hear you can really wrench the crap out of the screws as long as you tighten one at a time, little by little (just like a rim on a car)
So I should go ahead and snug them way way way down like that? I do have 4 pieces of credit card on the corners for both chips...

I gotta check my thermal paste on the gpu cuz I was moving the heat sink around... so, I'll check back just to make sure i'm not going to end up with something broken like crazy. Thanks for the help Wilhelm, good luck  wink.gif

bobasp1

• Archived User
« Reply #366 on: October 29, 2008, 12:45:00 AM »

hey i did ur method and it rrod'd again after 4 days. Would tightening the screws do anything??? Basically the 360 isn't really hot when it rrod'd and I drilled holes on the bottom so the screws would fit through and not flex the board. any tips?

Heat gun? Tightening the screws? Letting the 360 heat up for 2min?

Error 0102 to fixed to 0102

bobasp1

• Archived User
« Reply #367 on: October 29, 2008, 02:33:00 AM »

QUOTE(bobasp1 @ Oct 28 2008, 11:21 PM) View Post

hey i did ur method and it rrod'd again after 4 days. Would tightening the screws do anything??? Basically the 360 isn't really hot when it rrod'd and I drilled holes on the bottom so the screws would fit through and not flex the board. any tips?
Heat gun? Tightening the screws? Letting the 360 heat up for 2min?
Error 0102 to fixed to 0102

Ohh ffs why is the edit button disappear after like an hour >_>

The holes i screwed for the board isn't fitting anymore which sounds like it was flexing and making a huge amount of stress on the screws that were putting pressure on the mobo from the corners of the holes.

Have you seen that before? Oh and the cpu and gpu are not to hot.

I took it out, changed the screws tightness, and then  the no fan thing for about a min. Waited 25 min and tried again but i just didn't put it in its case it seemed to work just fine, but i cant get it back in the holes O_O. Should i just make the holes like an extra 2.5mm of space?

CocoaPistolero

• Archived User
« Reply #368 on: October 29, 2008, 03:26:00 PM »

I'm attempting to repair my console and got to the part where I took my x-clamps off.  Now I'm trying to remove the thermal paste.

I was slightly alarmed because the thermal paste looks like it was over-applied:

http://img522.images...cimg1522ar5.jpg

Is this normal?  If not, how should I go about removing this?  Is removing it necessary? There are those small silver rectangular things with paste on them, and I don't want to damage them or scrape them off or something ridiculous like that.  Not that I'm sure such is possible, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

CocoaPistolero

• Archived User
« Reply #369 on: October 29, 2008, 05:23:00 PM »

Bottle says 91% but I'm not having much luck getting a mirror finish.  How long should it take me?

CocoaPistolero

• Archived User
« Reply #370 on: October 29, 2008, 10:18:00 PM »

Well no luck so far.  I put everything together and got freezing/RROD before I really even played anything.  I would post this in the success thread but there are a number of things I could be doing wrong.  I was rather unsure about applying the thermal paste.

Firstly I was unable to get a complete mirror finish on the dies.  Close to it but not perfect.  Honestly I spent a few hours trying to get them clean and eventually gave up trying to get it perfect but I was aware it might screw me over later.

I used a grain of rice like stated and spread it with a credit card but it was never quite "even", each time I spread it, it seemed a little off.

My washers may not be the right size.  The heatsinks are heating up but I'm not sure if they're making direct contact with the GPU/CPU.  I know my screws are the right ones.  I ordered this stuff off Amazon instead of going to Home Depot so I tried to get as close as possible to 2mm total.

I guess I'll take everything apart and try again and attempt to do a better job.

CocoaPistolero

• Archived User
« Reply #371 on: October 30, 2008, 01:10:00 AM »

Had better luck this time but the console still froze.

This time I did clean to a mirror finish (somehow applying more paste made the paste come up way easier).  I also followed the instructions for applying my thermal compound.  It is not Arctic Silver 5 but Arctic "Ceramique" which is actually supposed to be a couple degrees cooler.  However, one does not spread it like they would AS5, rather they rub some compound into the heatsink and apply a dab to the CPU and smash them together like a sandwich, I suppose.

I was running Gears of War (which I figured would be a good stress test) and got about five minutes in before it froze.  I really hate the feeling of my console being a ticking time-bomb!

At this point I guess I'll try tightening the screws or perhaps reducing the tightness.  I don't know.  Maybe I have to give the compound some hours to settle or something.  (Wishful thinking.)

Wilhelm_I

• Archived User
« Reply #372 on: October 31, 2008, 07:50:00 PM »

[quote name='Vertex699' date='Oct 27 2008, 12:23 PM' post='4364675']

J_star

• Archived User
« Reply #373 on: November 01, 2008, 09:02:00 AM »

No the light wont turn on of the psu.

Only 3 light blinking, so it is worse than what i started with.

RYU81

• Archived User
« Reply #374 on: November 02, 2008, 06:00:00 PM »

how much temp for cpu & gpu after this mod?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27