xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Freezing Issue After X Clamp Replacement  (Read 106 times)

stippy420

• Archived User
Freezing Issue After X Clamp Replacement
« on: July 31, 2008, 06:40:00 PM »

You may need to have the solder re-flowed. There are several people on here that can do it for you or you can try one of the fixes posted. Personally, I'd get it done right by somebody that does it a lot. =)

Derfuhrer

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »

The idea is to separate the heatsinks from contacting the motherboard with either Nylon or rubber washers to prevent possible short out on the board. You should follow the guide here in the sticky exactly because imo if you use diff amounts and sizes of washers the contact wont be right...too strong or not enough

M2X

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 01:16:00 PM »

Good news that it is working now but please! Do me, yourself and the community a favor and do the shroud divider and GPU airflow mod in conjunction with the x-clamp replacement.
Belive me it helps a lot.
On one of the boxes that I fixed, I had some artifacts. It would throw artifacts after about 5mins in the dashboard.
Then I did these mods and it didn't throw a single artifact after ~2hours hardcore gaming! It has been working fine for now.

badducky

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »

Good news that it is working now but please! Do me, yourself and the community a favor and do the shroud divider and GPU airflow mod in conjunction with the x-clamp replacement.
Belive me it helps a lot.
On one of the boxes that I fixed, I had some artifacts. It would throw artifacts after about 5mins in the dashboard.
Then I did these mods and it didn't throw a single artifact after ~2hours hardcore gaming! It has been working fine for now.

well actually I did the shroud divider a long time ago, before I got the RROD. I agree that it helps a lot, more hot air is kicked out. I also got the talismoon fans, and I used tape to improve airflow (some of the RBJtech mods) .I don't know exactly what you mean with GPU airflow mod but I guess you are refering to the tape.

But then I got the RROD anyway even after all these precautions.

But the xbox is still running fine now after 3 days biggrin.gif