xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Rrod 3red Lights Error Code 0020 Explained  (Read 380 times)

The Minstrel

• Archived User
Rrod 3red Lights Error Code 0020 Explained
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 11:16:00 PM »

Just had a quick check around mine, they're loose but I don't think it should cause much concern.  I'll have a better look later on when I get up and see if it could be affecting anything (doubtful, but I have had the 0020 error for the past month or so while I've been lazily neglecting it).

Thanks for the information, though.  Very interesting.

Wilhelm_I

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 01:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(ghostsofdecepticon420 @ Jul 29 2008, 09:01 PM) View Post

I will look at my caps tonight as I have an 0020 error'ed box and the xclamps have not had any effect what-so-ever.  I also will try to loosen the bolts a tad to see if it is a 'pressure' issue.  I'll update you and let you know what I find out.

Just to clear it up...
0020 is either a bridged solder joint/short under the GPU, RAM or the traces of the CPU that lead to the GPU or it is a problem with the way these components are powered, this can happen when you draw power from the regulators that power it or remove caps etc...
So this guy can be right because a loose cap can trigger it but this is a very rare cause...
Most of the time it is a short under the chips.

If the X-Clamp Fix doesnt work try my heatgunning tutorial and concentrate on the CPU/GPU/RAM area a lot of people fixed it like that....

Jimmz X

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 04:38:00 PM »

Hi all

I have fixed 0102 and 0020 on my xbox 360.   When I got the RROD I checked the error code which was 0102. so I did the X clamp fix. I booted up the xbox and I still had RROD but the error code had changed to 0020.

Reading up on this code and alot of people said that it was the worst code, could not be fixed ect.
Yes it can!

I found that by putting plenty of thermol compound on the chips under the heatsinks fixed it. All the guides  recommend a small blob, but this is not always enough. The thermol compound is non conductive so it cannot short the xbox out if it gets on the circuit board, but you dont need to go mad with it.
Not to little and not to much.  I also only used one washer on top and one on the bottom when doing the X clamp fix.  Hope this helps someone out!!   biggrin.gif

TehGodPwner

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 03:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(rajaei @ May 10 2008, 08:08 AM) View Post

sorry to repost my first topic wasnt all that right
hi my name is rajaei and i would like to share something with everyone here on xbox scene which is error code 0020 also know as the RROD 3 red lights ,this error is cause by the caps on the mobo (the black caps with gray on top) they are not all solderd good so by time one gets loose which sometimes touchs again and your 360 boots and sometimes doesnt ,well if you take out your mobo and hold one of the caps one by one while moving the cap slightly back and forth while looking at the solder point under the mobo you will notice one of them is a little loose (you have to look at it very good best to use a magnifing glass ) all you have to do is resolder it tightly but be carful not to mess up the mobo because the point where you are soldering is very fragile,i have tested this on over 98 xbox 360's and fixed them all this way.

IPB Image

Could you help a newb at soldering explain it or give more pictures? Trying to fix one atm with this error. The two are loose and the one you marked fan is also. Just a picture or a tut on how to solder it would be nice. Thanks
Pages: 1 [2]