xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Idea For A Project  (Read 278 times)

pepito01226

• Archived User
Idea For A Project
« on: May 18, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »

though this sounds very cool and but all too promising to complete.

I doubt you will be able to make the optical drive thinner, even the newest xbox 360 slim optical drive are just a fraction of a size smaller than the the phat xbox 360 optical drive. You might have to RDC or you can cut the back panel and work that around the optical drive. Hay why not run it externally???? Just need to extend the power cable and get a longer sata cable.

When talking about the touch button you mean on the xbox 360 slim??? Not the same PCB interface as the phat, a simple tact switch will not work. If I were you I would use the phat instead since the interface has a simple SMT tact switch. Can easily be desolder and a wire can be run to the front of the Acer panel. From the looks of the Acer anyways it has a tact switch. maybe you can tap into that and to the from interface PCB on the phat xbox 360??

For the DVI you could just get Dvi to HDMI adapter or Dvi to RCA and make your work load very simple.

But if you want to put in the extra effort here I can help avoid with the pulling of the hair lol some pinout for the DVI interface.  
IPB Image

IPB Image

Btw reading about the Hdd being solder to the motherboard.. Wow that kind of sucks... But don't worry I found something you are going to like This Hard drive caddy adapter for thin slotted optical drive

Just have to pull the Hdd out and take it out of the holder and slide it into the slim slot adapter and i guess done smile.gif

Actually there is a lot of little things you are going to have to think about. Though this Idea is wonderful and if you can pull it off amazing job.

I think its ambitious but hay ambitious built rome. So good luck smile.gif

Marcheslav

• Archived User
Idea For A Project
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »

It should be noted that you can use tact switches on the slim ROL.

pepito01226

• Archived User
Idea For A Project
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 09:19:00 AM »

Would be impressive to see a water cool trick in the Acer AIO.

Yeah the slim has an APU a processor and graphic built in. This does save size for everything because the board is about the same as a mini ATX.

with the Static touch sensor like Marcheslav says you can use the tact switch. You might have to poke around with a meter to see where you can connect the leads from the switch to. I would use the PCB board that is in the Acer just tap into it run a lead to the tact for the power simplest thing to do.

For speaker you can look for mini cube speaker that has a mini battery pack inside or you can tie into what power supply you might run. I've seen mods on running PC PSU to the slim.

If you you can not find room for the optical drive just find an external enclosure just need the shell lol then you can sleeve the SATA and Power cable that should keep eye from looking at the horrible looking lines coming out lol I hope you can get the optical drive mounted again that I would very much love to see.

If the screen do not work there is a converter adapter for laptop screen to external screen it has its own converter with back light support but will require a power adapter. Not sure what video setting you can get I do know they have a DVI and HDMI output.

As soon as I find it i'll post a link for you.

Btw welcome on the little help smile.gif

Please do keep us on the update I am interested in watching how this comes out.

xbox-enthusiast786

• Archived User
Idea For A Project
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 08:56:00 AM »

smile.gif

I was planning on using the PCB originally with the acer to make it "stealth" as possible. I have just remembered that the PSU in the acer machine is around 250W which is perfect as I can retain the original PSU and adapt it to the xbox slim motherboard. The extra Wattage capability would account for the water pump, extra fans etc.

External Drive enclosure may be the best option I think if I was to watercool it, I could go for the blue-ray enclosure that you could buy for the xbox 360 fat version and enclose the new CD drive into it/adapt it to fit?

I have a spare mini cube speaker which is pretty good and bassy and uses a usb cable to charge it up that I could use within it however I really wanted to somehow use the original speakers as the way the acers work is that you can control the volume through the built in PCB touch buttons. I may have to see if I can get some sort of a hardware driver that would allow me to use the wires from the speakers built in and hook them up to the output on the xbox. I need to get hands on though then I can ask them questions lol.

Only daunting thing to me atm is the watercooling side of things, :L

The Radiator may have to be dual 80mm or something as small as that and the price of the lian li slim water pump all added up would cost a fair bit sad.gif

I may have to go the cheaper quick way of an all in one system and make my own bracket for the cpu, depends on funds when the time comes. I'll be selling it off once done to make a small profit.
Need to find a Case and preferably a modded xbox wink.gif

pepito01226

• Archived User
Idea For A Project
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »

Awesome smile.gif to hear you might be able to adapt the internal PSU from the Acer to the xbox and the blu ray external should do great might have to cut the back out on the external to run the sata and power cable from and too the xbox motherboard.

For the speaker issue, since the Acer board supply power to the speaker you will need an external power. I think for you should use another cube speaker something cheap I seen on eBay small cubic speaker under $15 so do some searching there. You can replace the driver with the one on the Acer but you need the mini power board that supply power to the speaker then you can tap on the xbox board where your output for the speaker will be. I think you might be able to adapt the PSU to run the speaker power smile.gif 12 volt or 5 volt not sure you should investigate, usually the cubic tells you in the back if not on the mini Ac to Dc converter brick tells you what the output voltage.

Hmm price is usually the issue especially watercool it can get expensive. I would say to save some cash get a pre assemble one with a 80mm radiator. Issue is clearance since the pump and block is one same. I measured mine for a friend of mine its 76 mm square. The pump you found is nice and good sizing but the radiator is thick. Would stand out a lot specially if its externally and attached on the back. I found this 80mm block though its about as thick it is compact and direct to size and this VGA water block by EK which is low profile and fits nicely over the APU The pipe comes in and out from the sides which is alot of help and saves more space.

Btw before you do sell it off. Have records of your work and show case it out. Trust me a lot of people will want to see your work. I know it will rock dood.

Lol why not do the mod job yourself since your already wanting to do a nice case mod job smile.gif

xbox-enthusiast786

• Archived User
Idea For A Project
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 03:29:00 AM »

yeah haha, I usually keep logs of my projects with plenty of pics of the hardware side lol. I'd have to investigate how the hardware mod goes about with these new slims as i've done a few things with the fat one but not with the slim ever in terms of hacking lol.

The vga waterblock you mentioned says max hole dimension is 58x58mm while the xbox is 65x65mm after doing a little research:

IPB Image

I think after a little home engineering it should be good as I really like the design of in/out or I could buy this which is purpose built and can get 90 Degree connectors.

Depending on the space I may cancel the idea of a reservoir and just add a fillport to the top. I've been looking for some cases but on eBay there are only a few available and they are on "buy it now" rather than bidding. I'm trying to source a faulty one or a cheap working one to keep costs to a minimum.

Thanks for ideas/help, can't wait to get started with this when case is bought.

pepito01226

• Archived User
Idea For A Project
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 11:26:00 AM »

Ahh didn't thinking of the alignment lol

Yeah that block will work great you might need to get some 90 degree's fitting like This or This because running 45 to straight will have clearance issue.

For the Reservoir you can try and fit this Inline Reservoir and fit it externally?

What about a Two in one pump/Reservoir? It is low profile though not sure how it might fit. I know clearance is a major issue. Still some Idea to go by smile.gif

your welcome and I can not wait to see how it all starts to come out.

tryintomod

• Archived User
Idea For A Project
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 10:41:00 AM »

I would love to see this project complete. Any updates?

xbox-enthusiast786

• Archived User
Idea For A Project
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 02:59:00 PM »

Anyone want to see this done or what (a few years later lol)

xbox-enthusiast786

• Archived User
Idea For A Project
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 03:01:00 PM »

So basically, I've liquid cooled it and it works (sorry for posting link to another site):