xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 12v Fan Mod Question.  (Read 194 times)

wilgo45

• Archived User
12v Fan Mod Question.
« on: May 02, 2013, 01:43:00 PM »

I agree - 12v fan mod - way too annoying.  Nothing like having to shout over your fans while playing games.

Personally what I use: Talismoon fan in the back and a 50mm x 50mm fan in the front.  2nd fan is rigged for 12 volts, but it has a low decibel rating and its just one fan.  So that one is quiet.

I have been think about putting in a top vent too.  Remove the metal and cut the plastic

With rgh or jtag - you can control your fan speed at anytime with the controller.

And there is also the rheostat method.  Feed your fans anywhere from 5v to 12v - at anytime.  Dial controls it all.

And ... with Jrunner 288 and a nandX device; you can change your SMC config ... and change up settings for fans.

DragonSlayer1987

• Archived User
12v Fan Mod Question.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 02:22:00 PM »

Depends on how much you want to spend, they make case fans that you can modify to fit in place of stock fans. Personally I use talismoon legacy fans with the nitro switch, I have also cut a vent hole in front CPU heatsink and installed a fan.
You can also try removing the thermal paste and replacing arctic silver. I did this and added small heatsinks on chips to a buddies falcon after it red ringed, that was 3 years ago and it is still going strong.

pepito01226

• Archived User
12v Fan Mod Question.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 03:40:00 PM »

I used  Talismoon for an friend of mine xbox 360 slim. And I can honestly agree they are super slient smile.gif comes with additional LED light that can be swapped if you want costume light look for 3mm LED light you would like on ebay as well.

to drop voltage from 12volt to 9volt look for a 1/4 watt resister I believe 200 Ohm can reduce the voltage well enough. If not look for a pot resistor you can adjust the amount of resistance with the pot smile.gif just an idea.

Personally got with  Talismoon fan its less of a headache even if they are alittle expensive.

WhaleTrain

• Archived User
12v Fan Mod Question.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 09:06:00 AM »

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think I'll invest in a Talismoon Whisper with Nitro fan due to the success you lot seem to be having. The fans are currently £15 on Fleabay so I might invest.

Are they easy to set up with the Nitro switches? Any soldering needed or is it just plug in to the connector where the stock oem fan goes?

Might buy a little heatsink for the HANA chip too.

Thanks for the help smile.gif

EDIT: How quite is the Whisper Max on 5V?

pepito01226

• Archived User
12v Fan Mod Question.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 10:08:00 AM »

QUOTE(WhaleTrain @ May 3 2013, 11:06 AM) View Post

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think I'll invest in a Talismoon Whisper with Nitro fan due to the success you lot seem to be having. The fans are currently £15 on Fleabay so I might invest.

Are they easy to set up with the Nitro switches? Any soldering needed or is it just plug in to the connector where the stock oem fan goes?

Might buy a little heatsink for the HANA chip too.

Thanks for the help smile.gif

EDIT: How quite is the Whisper Max on 5V?

Tailsmoon are very easy to install,  I do believe they come with an adapter for the old model phat that have molex connection. It is just straight forward no soldering for the fan. The LED light also straight forward remove, they sit in a header so all you need to do is remember the polarity then line the new one up and slide it in to the header the same way facing the same polarity and bend it a little to fit in to the hole. I had to do that to the slim tailsmoon for my friend.

I don't think you should go with a nitro mod. The nitro mod only sup up the RPM so you can have a better push/pull effect on the fan. Since Talismoon whisper fan has a certain RPM to vibration ratio they run silent but add the Nitro mod and it can unbalance the ratio making the fan run as loud as the original fan.

Here is a video to show you what happens.

tryintomod

• Archived User
12v Fan Mod Question.
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 10:49:00 AM »

12v fan mods are very loud. I ran one here in a console I build personally and there is a HUGE difference. It is even the talismoon one as well. I would recommend just getting a talismoon fan and then keeping your console in the open (not in an entertainment stand). I am with you on the cooling though, it makes a monstrous difference in the temps.