xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: In Car Power Supply  (Read 146 times)

killzer

• Archived User
In Car Power Supply
« on: April 11, 2013, 01:59:00 PM »

I recently bought a new Chevy Silverado with the rear entertainment package and for a 400 mile trip I decided to hook up my 360 for the kids. This worked okay but not great.
The problems started with the inverter I already had, an el-cheapo 200 watt inverter. This inverter created an ungodly amount of line noise, to the point I had to mute the audio and the video had all kinds of squiggly lines running through it. So before even leaving town I stopped by the Auto Zone and bought a brand new $80 400 watt inverter. It still had line noise but only on the audio and not nearly as bad. The problem this one had was that it would shut off the Xbox when ever I killed the engine, the fan was stupid loud and the fuse blew on the way back home (it wasn't rated properly).
When I got back home I decided that there must be a better way so I hopped on the old interwebs to look for a solution. After deciding that $400 was way to much to spend on a Sine wave inverter I started thinking... Why should i convert the 12 Volt DC power from my truck to 120 Volt AC just to convert it back to 12 Volt DC again? The answer, I shouldn't have to.
After a little bit of digging around I determined that I can build an in vehicle 360 power supply with an array of high current wide input adjustable auto buck boot converters, a 3 Amp wide input 5 Volt buck converter (for the standby power that allows you to turn your xbox on via the wireless controller) and a small control circuit to switch it between standby and on (the same as the original power supply does).
The whole unit will be about half the size of the original 120 Volt AC power brick and will create less heat, no noise, and can keep the xbox running with the engine off. (it will run off anything between 7 and 24 volts DC)
I will soon be ordering the parts that I need to build this thing (at least the ones I can't get from the local Radio Shack) and my total build cost is going to be about $45.

If anyone is interested I would be happy to post build pics, schematics, tutorials to build your own. Or if you're not as good with electronics, I would be willing to build one for you for $55 or $60. The total output capacity will be around 250 watts so it will be fully capable of running any version 360, phat or slim.

killzer

• Archived User
In Car Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 02:16:00 PM »

First off, what is a BST section?
Second, I very clearly asked if anyone was interested in build pics/schematics/tutorials. I'm not going to waste my time creating and posting schematics if nobody is interested in them and I can't post build pics because I don't even have the parts yet. That's why I asked if anyone was even interested.
Third, I'm not interested in getting money out of this. If I was, I sure as shit wouldn't be offering up schematics and tutorials.

RDC

• Archived User
In Car Power Supply
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »

If you want to do a WIP on this, then do it, not just what you might do if there is any interest. Any kind of sales, yes you did mention it in that fashion, belong in the B/S/T section of the forums as well.

The Posting Rules and Guidelines for the Forums here, as well as the additional info in the Pinned topics at the top of this and every other section, make all of this clear.

Closed.