xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Led Lights Mod, Help!  (Read 164 times)

MrGray

• Archived User
Led Lights Mod, Help!
« on: April 07, 2013, 03:24:00 AM »

Sorry for the double post but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to edit my post??

Anyway, an update, I measured the amps when it works and is connected to the wall adapter and it measures 2.2 ish, and again when it was in my xbox and NOT working and it shows no amps.

Not sure if it helps but I thought i'd post it anyway.

RDC

• Archived User
Led Lights Mod, Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 09:36:00 AM »

You have 15 minutes to edit you post.

Something seems off there, a 2.2A current draw for 24 LEDs is a bit high, unless they're each 100mA LEDs and all in Parallel. If you made that yourself, it would draw around 500mA at most with the same rated LEDs.

Check the voltage of this 12v adapter you're using. If it's not a switching type it will be over 12v, whereas the 360 is exactly 12v and since those things were made for a car they could have been made to work at a littler higher voltage than 12v, like everything in a car is. Even though it's rated at 12v, when a car is running the Alternator will put out closer to 14.4v or so, so it can charge the battery, this also means that everything 12v in the car is getting 14.4v as well. The Red working where Green doesn't could also point to a voltage issue, since Red LEDs have a lower voltage requirement than Green ones.

They should still work on a fixed 12v though, so check your connections again. A bad solder joint or too small of a wire can act like a Resistor and it could be you're losing voltage there just enough to not make it light up, then last but not least, make sure the 360 on since there's no 12v in there when it's off.

RDC

• Archived User
Led Lights Mod, Help!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 11:02:00 AM »

Blue LEDs do have a higher forward voltage than Reg or Green, but it's all in how they're wired up.

If those things work on an external adapter, but not on the 360, then the only thing I can guess would be how you have it wired up. Have any pics?

RDC

• Archived User
Led Lights Mod, Help!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 11:23:00 AM »

Solder joints, where you're taking power from. Some better pics of the LED boards. Something is just off here for them to not be working in the 360 when they do out of it.

RDC

• Archived User
Led Lights Mod, Help!
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 12:00:00 PM »

Move that Ground connection to one of the actual Ground spots of the plug, to number 3 right under your 12v connection for example. It looks like you have it on the shield solder lug, and it looks like on that version of board that lug is isolated from Ground. Even though it should still be grounded when it's all together and in the cage, that could be causing some issue.

If that fails, try out an older PSU, one of the original 203W models and see if it gets them to light up.

Aside from that though, I don't see any reason they shouldn't work there.

RDC

• Archived User
Led Lights Mod, Help!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 12:55:00 PM »

Are you sure the polarity is correct on the wiring of the Green LEDs?

RDC

• Archived User
Led Lights Mod, Help!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »

Just wondering if the polarity on the wall adapter is reversed or not, since not all of those things follow a standard, sometimes center is positive, sometimes it's negative, so I can't think of anything else but how it's wired up causing it. The soldering looks good, the Red LEDs work, and the Green LEDs work on the adapter, so all that's really left is what wire is going where with them when it's in the 360.

RDC

• Archived User
Led Lights Mod, Help!
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 01:36:00 PM »

Welcome. Next time, look at your meter a little closer, I'm sure it read -12v from that wall adapter versus the 12v from the 360, big difference. wink.gif

MrGray

• Archived User
Led Lights Mod, Help!
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 01:38:00 PM »

It did actually, but I'm still quite new, I didn't think anything of the - just kinda figured it was always there or something haha. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle wink.gif

Take care.