xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Slim Fan Wiring  (Read 171 times)

Seriusdude

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Slim Fan Wiring
« on: April 02, 2013, 04:38:00 AM »

I am somewhat a newb when it comes to forums, but I do however have a basic understanding for electronics, and have done my research, only to find my self at a dead end.  Search engines nowadays give you a bunch of crap and never give you what your looking for anymore.

(Back to topic)

I need an expert's advice on an idea I have about a toggle switch mod idea I havefor the Xbox 360 Slim fan unit. (trinity)

I heard a rumor on youtube that if you cut the blue wire, the fan will run at max speed.

Could it be possible to run a circuit by cutting the wire, and connecting said circuit to a toggle switch mounted to the back?

I simply want an alternative in the summer in my hot attic, to put the fan at max speed when playing graphic intense games, and be able to switch it back to normal when watching Netflix, playing arcade games, etc.

I understand the blue wire is what sends a reading in which controls the fan's speed automatically.

THIS NEXT PART is where I need an expert's opinion.  I have a mod chip installed, along with a Talismoon whisper Slim.  Would these in any way affect any shorting/frying issues?

Below are links in reference to the chipset and the fan in case you haven't seen either.

Fan Mod Chipset

Talismoon Fan

I figured I could just cut the blue wire, splice the blue wire into two separate wires, and run them to a single pole switch mounted outside the xbox.

IS THERE ANYTHING that could go wrong with that setup?  (minus flaws in my craftsmanship) lol
Is there a better setup, and why woul it be better?

My other concern is, will I get banned for using max fan speed while I am gaming online? uhh.gif

Any and all help would be much appreciated!  Thank You.

Seriusdude

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Slim Fan Wiring
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 02:53:00 PM »

[quote name='DragonSlayer1987' date='Apr 2 2013, 02:27 PM' post='1105774447062394280']

Seriusdude

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Slim Fan Wiring
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 05:12:00 PM »

WELL I still haven't got the parts in the mail yet, but I will post pics of the mod when its done/undergoing progression.  I have a friend that says he has experience with potentiometers, and that in order for that to work I would need a 2-PST switch for each separate circuit.  So I don't know if I will bother with the potentiometer at all.  

Thanks Dragon Slayer!
I will definitely look into putting the switch into the Internal Hard Drive casing!  Sweet idea.  As I have a vault Case, and that switch could get into the way when I have it on in the winter.  ON another note Dragon Slayer, that's for the clarification on banning for fan mods.  That really puts me at ease. smile.gif

Once I get the parts in the mail, I will set up some pics of it.  Definitely will consider mounting into the HD Drives bay to keep it concealed and out of the way.

Good Looks!

Now my only last worry is to find out if this modchip set between the motherboard 4pin female fan insertion and fan 4pin male plug, will allow me to cut the blue wire, and not damage the chipset.  I don't think it should be a problem, but its always good to double check.

IF anyone knows anything about circuitry in chipsets, here is a link to what it looks like for a layout/diagram reference.

http://www.circuitsu...Slim/basic.html

Seriusdude

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Slim Fan Wiring
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 11:12:00 PM »

Well, I finally got the SPTS in the mail today, and finally decided to splice the blue wire to my Talismoon Slim fan.  IT WORKS GREAT!  Definitely a better and way easier alternative to a potentiometer, as using such without a temperature measuring device, it could overheat an shutoff mid game.  It is a little loud, but when I have my headset on, I don't even notice it.  I have noticed slightly better load times, and less glitchy graphics problems.  

I did not find a good spot for mounting it yet, so its just hanging out of the right vents until I can find a good spot, as in the winter I use my Vault case, and most easy mounting points for the switch prevent me from using the case, unless I just cut the case out, but I would rather not make a mess out of anything else, as my case plexi-glass window cut-out mod lacked the craftsmanship to look anything near professional quality, but its a start on learning.

So if your console gets a little too hot in the summer, or you just want to insure your Xbox 360 Slim's longevity, this could be your alternative! Will post pics once finished and my camera is charged. smile.gif

DragonSlayer1987

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Slim Fan Wiring
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 12:25:00 PM »

Glad to hear adding the SPST switch did the trick.