xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Replacing Dying Laser Question...  (Read 185 times)

BoNg420

• Archived User
Replacing Dying Laser Question...
« on: March 04, 2013, 06:13:00 AM »

QUOTE(Chrushev @ Mar 4 2013, 07:02 AM) View Post

If I am to replace a dying LiteOn laser, should it matter which I get? Like are there different versions of Liteon Lasers?

For example some drives are HW rev A0A1, while others are A0A2... are the lasers cross compatible?

Reason I ask is because I have a non working A0A2 and put it inside a A0A1 and it gave me "Open Tray"... doesnt see the disk... im guessing the laser is shot, but I want to make sure before I toss it in the trash...

So basically if the laser is good it should work... right?

Im pretty sure the answer is yes... but I cant use a laser from Hitachi or Samsung.. right?

Thanks!

Yes you cant use a samsung or hitachi laser.  They use SF-HD63

Benq and liteon use same laser HOP141x

Just get one on ebay search for drive type and laser, or laser model #

Remember to remove the antistatic ball on the laser when you get it.  Also you might want to check your spindle motor and make sure it didnt freeze up either.

steveo1978

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 12:22:00 PM »

I have had good success with doing the pot. tweak on some of the lasers. if you are willing to going to replace the laser its worth giving it a try before you buy the laser.

http://dwl.xbox-scen...1.0_by_Moda.pdf its the basically same method on all drives

Gazc0igne

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 04:41:00 AM »

pot tweaking is a waste of time your just scraping the barrel as such with a worn laser.

lasers can be picked up for around £5 and swapped in minutes.