xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Is It Worth Buying A New Xbox For $300, Worried About Battery Tho  (Read 1612 times)

T2Steve

• Archived User

FOP-BS

• Archived User
Is It Worth Buying A New Xbox For $300, Worried About Battery Tho
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 07:13:00 AM »

Soldering is not really my thing though and why wouldn't I not just use the USB/save file Splinter Cell softmod which works good with my current Xbox I have now, plus it's quick and easy.

FOP-BS

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 07:14:00 AM »

Deleted

FOP-BS

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 09:08:00 AM »

Nevermind my TSOP vs softmod question I found the pros and cons already from another source. I just want to know about the disc drive question. Also last question even if I buy a new Xbox seeing how its new and all but the HDD is over 10 years old has it degraded at all you think ?

T2Steve

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 11:28:00 AM »

short of being brand new in box unopened you cannot be sure. there will be degradation on them the more they are used. in theory those that haven't been turned on will last a good long while.

FOP-BS

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 12:11:00 PM »

I watched a youtube of someone doing a TSOP mod and thought no I dont think so thats not me. I'd like to get a good back up for the future. I can do the softmod which is easy. So either Ill buy a nice 1.6. Or Ill just buy a premodded Xbox. So when you mod a xbox for someone and put a upgraded HDD what kinda HDD do you put in their ? Cause from what I know about Xbox they dont have the sata hookups and aren't the IDE/PATA HDD's hard to come by these days and cost more ?

T2Steve

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 07:41:00 PM »

no to the webstore. doing a TSOP bridge is very, very easy. the dvd drive always dies first, it's rare for the HDD to fail first. you can swap out any DVD from another xbox, but they are all kind of on their last legs. TSOP or hard modded xbox can use non xbox DVD drives. 

FOP-BS

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 07:08:00 PM »

There's a guy selling modded Xbox on eBay and saying "Note to buyers PLEASE READ, This box now comes with two controllers, upgraded HD Cables for HD graphics, 80 pin IDE cables instead of the standard 40 pin for higher data transfer rates (reduces lag/choppiness) I've also replaced the disc tray bands to avoid the sticky disc drive issue that ALL xboxes get (the original bands used by Microsoft stretched over time causing the stuck tray issue)"

T2Steve

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 11:54:00 PM »

in my experience the only DVD drive with stuck tray issues was the Samsung drives, and yes they did happen and it was relatively easy and not costly to replace the belts. They are something like $1 for 10 iirc. Greasing is more than likely referring to the rails, they have grease on them to lubricate the movement of the DVD drive's laser. HD cables you can get without an upgrade, there are component and S-video out boxes. Yes it makes a difference. Since most TVs don't do s-video anymore (shame) component is pretty much the way to go. From a gameplay perspective, few of the xbox games used 720, most top out at 480p. Still, the image is considerably sharper, even on s-video.

TanUnac

Re: Is It Worth Buying A New Xbox For $300, Worried About Battery Tho
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2021, 05:13:43 AM »

<p>in my experience the only DVD drive with stuck tray issues was the Samsung drives, and yes they did happen and it was relatively easy and not costly to replace the belts. They are something like $1 for 10 iirc. Greasing is more than likely referring to the rails, they have grease on them to lubricate the movement of the DVD drive's laser. HD cables you can get without an upgrade, there are component and S-video out boxes. Yes it makes a difference. Since most TVs don't do s-video anymore (shame) component is pretty much the way to go. From a gameplay perspective, few of the xbox games used 720, most top out at 480p. Still, the image is considerably sharper, even on s-video.</p> mcdvoice

Soldering is not really my thing though and why wouldn't I not just use the USB/save file Splinter Cell softmod which works good with my current Xbox I have now, plus it's quick and easy.