xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Pgr2- Unlocking Paris And La  (Read 1471 times)

jizzlobber

• Archived User
Pgr2- Unlocking Paris And La
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2003, 05:57:00 AM »

biggrin.gif
you said you're a programmer by day and a woman on the weekend  uhh.gif

anyway, apparently this game was close to running at 60fps but they decided to cut it down to 30fps... i'm guessing the engine could handle a few more cars.
I'm fairly clueless but they have basically halved the poly per second rate by halving the framerate right?

would be awesome to have even 10 cars on track.

another thing... have you actually tried raining night races?

Mr_Belowski

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2003, 06:07:00 AM »

wink.gif

The night wet races work fine - and look very nice. Give it a try - just add
Rain = 1
Night = 1

to one of the races in the races.ini file. It's pretty intense in the dark and spray. I've got 3 or 4 wet night races in my hacked version.

As for 30fps, there's actually a flag in frontend.ini that's set to lock the game at 30fps. I've not tried changing it, but if they had it close to 60, then I see no reason why the game engine wouldn't handle a few more cars - as you say, there should be some poly-pushing head-room. Things might get a little sluggish on the replay and in the wet, but that's OK. It just depends on whether the 7 AI car limit is hard-coded into the game anywhere. To be honest, I'd be suprised if more than 7 worked, but it's definitely worth a try.

jizzlobber

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2003, 06:26:00 AM »

smile.gif

So are you basically just tweaking the world kudos series here?
making you own custom made events to replace the others?

I can't believe bizarre creations made it so easy to do this cool stuff!

tlc

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2003, 06:45:00 AM »

This is awesome news.  I'm really interested in the 30/60 flag thing, too.  I'm going to have to go tinker with this.  Please post your stuff when you get a chance.

Do you think it's possible to add AI cars to the time trials?  That way, you can pick any car and any track and race?  That would be cool to see.  Granted, it would be a set car class, I'm imagining if its even possible.  Additionally, have you tried looking at the TDATA or UDATA directories for PGR2 to see if a non-HD game will read these files (like how Mechassault and DOA3 update their content)?

jizzlobber

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2003, 07:03:00 AM »

QUOTE (Mr_Belowski @ Dec 2 2003, 03:07 PM)

As for 30fps, there's actually a flag in frontend.ini that's set to lock the game at 30fps

Is it possible to change it to run at 60fps?
it might be possible to set up a race the higher framerate can handle!?
would be VERY cool.

tlc

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2003, 07:39:00 AM »

Backing up now...

Edit:

It doesn't seem like changing anything in the Frontend.ini does anything (i.e. disabling AA, sound, or car damage), much less change the framerate.  Ah well.  Additionally, there isn't anything suspect in the savegame directories either.

Mr_Belowski

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2003, 10:33:00 AM »

sad.gif

tlc

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2003, 10:43:00 AM »

No prob.  The only thing I don't like about this game is that you can't select a car/track in single player and race against AI.  I know that it's a stupid request, but I wish it was in there.  I may look into what can be done about that.

Regardless, this is a great find.

Mr_Belowski

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2003, 12:56:00 AM »

smile.gif
Class_7:  575M Maranello (various AI cars from the correct class)
Class_8:  Viper SRT-10 (Some Viper spec races, some mixed)
Class_9:  Pacific Muscle (same cars as the original Pacific Muscle class)
Class_10: Unchanged except all street-races
Class_11: No Ferrari 575M
Class_12: No Ferrari Challenge Stradale. Race structure unchanged for this class (hot-laps etc still present)
Class_13: Unchanged except all-street races. Last 3 races F50 spec, one level of 959 spec
Class_14: Last Nurburgring race AI all drive Speed 12. Some of the other races are also spec races

Of course, each class still has the same number of levels and races as before (this is also editable, but I've not had time to explore it).

I've still got a few races to change for levels 12 (the old Track Day series) and 14 (the old Ultimate series). The AI for the Viper racing series also needs a little optimisation. I've make some changes to close up the racing in Class 7 (Ferrari 575M), Class 2 (Trans-Am), and Class 14 (Ultimate), but I've not had a chance to test these changes. They're pretty subtle changes, so won't break anything, but may not have found the optimum settings yet. Class 9 (pacific muscle) isn't great - it works but the AI needs to be faster.

Also, I've only set up the AI for the 'platinum' difficulty level - in this hacked version of the game, there aren't any different AI levels. I'll try and set this up when I get a few hours, but for now you'll only be able to select 'platinum' difficulty (well, the other difficulties won't crash or anything, but you might not get the right AI cars). The AI are, on the whole, very good. I'm reasonably good at PGR2, and in this hacked version they give me some fab close races at Platinum difficulty. The races are longer than in the normal game - usually 8 to 10 laps, with a few 20 lappers (but not at the Nurburgring of course wink.gif).

I like spec races, where all the cars are the same. This makes it tons easier to optimise the AI skill to make for close races. In the races where the AI cars are mixed I've tried to modify their skills to balance out the different car performances, but getting it just right would take ages, so you'll probably find the mixed-class races less close.

There are a few night-rainy races in Class 13, but as you'll see, the frame-rate can sometimes be a little suspect.

My plan is to do some more testing, but I won't get the chance to do this until Friday now, so rather than leave it I figured I might as well let you see what I've been working on. I don't have any web-space, so I'll have to email the .zip file (I prefer doing this anyway cos, like I said, I've still got some testing and optimisation to do).

So... anyone that wants to modify their Hard-Drive copy of PGR2 to have 8 car street-races only, and to drive the cars in the list above, form an orderly queue. Actually, just PM-ing me your email address will do smile.gif

jizzlobber

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2003, 01:48:00 AM »

sounds awesome mate!
how big is the file? I might be able to host it

jizzlobber

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2003, 02:38:00 AM »

send it my way then, i'll reply with link when it's up.
[email protected]

EDIT- does it contain a readme with instructions?

Mr_Belowski

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2003, 02:47:00 AM »

Sent...

jizzlobber

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2003, 03:33:00 AM »

smile.gif

jizzlobber

• Archived User