xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Hard Drive Upgrade Help  (Read 285 times)

djj2k

• Archived User
Hard Drive Upgrade Help
« on: October 14, 2013, 05:30:00 PM »

did you unlock your old drive before cloning with chimp?
did you lock your new drive after cloning with chimp?
If both of these is yes then likely the cloning process didn't go smoothly despite appearing to.  
If you think its a lock issue though try reading the new drive with a tool like xboxhdm to test if you can lock it.  You can't lock a drive that's already locked, so it would return an error if that's the case or lock it successfully and then it might work in the xbox.  You'd have to hook it up to a pc though to do that with xboxhdm, but there are other tools you can do that with on your xbox directly with both drives hooked up (one in place of the dvd drive)
Try recloning the drive again if you unlocked and locked okay the first time, but make sure chimp does a 'raw' transfer if there's an option for that, so it copies everything without trying to read the data.  
I had a similar problem upgrading a drive trying to clone it with Fedora on my desktop, but retried with a raw image and it worked the second time.  If the raw option is there in chimp you should be golden.
I've never used chimp so I hope this is helpful to you.
Best of luck with it.

Jairomyth

• Archived User
Hard Drive Upgrade Help
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(djj2k @ Oct 15 2013, 12:30 AM) View Post

did you unlock your old drive before cloning with chimp?
did you lock your new drive after cloning with chimp?
If both of these is yes then likely the cloning process didn't go smoothly despite appearing to.  
If you think its a lock issue though try reading the new drive with a tool like xboxhdm to test if you can lock it.  You can't lock a drive that's already locked, so it would return an error if that's the case or lock it successfully and then it might work in the xbox.  You'd have to hook it up to a pc though to do that with xboxhdm, but there are other tools you can do that with on your xbox directly with both drives hooked up (one in place of the dvd drive)
Try recloning the drive again if you unlocked and locked okay the first time, but make sure chimp does a 'raw' transfer if there's an option for that, so it copies everything without trying to read the data.  
I had a similar problem upgrading a drive trying to clone it with Fedora on my desktop, but retried with a raw image and it worked the second time.  If the raw option is there in chimp you should be golden.
I've never used chimp so I hope this is helpful to you.
Best of luck with it.

Hi djj2k, thank you so much for replying.
(Did you unlock the drive before cloning with chimp?)
I didn't and honestly I didnt think about doing that. It was a new hard drive so I just figured it would work.

(Did you lock the new drive after cloning with chimp?)
I believe it did lock. There is tutorial I was following along with on youtube, and my screen confirmed what his showed so I figured it worked.

I will attempt to reclone the drive with chimp tomorrow, do you think I will need to unlock the drive before doing this?

I do not see a "raw image" option on the CHIMP list. here is a screenshot of the menu:
IPB Image[/img]

I should also note that at the end of the cloning process in CHIMP, it asks you to locate the the source key(EEPROM).  I backed up my eeprom with SOFT MOD INSTALLER DELUXE recently but am unsure where it was located. Could this possibly be the reason the dasboard did not transfer?

again thank you so much for your help. smile.gif

fallenangle

• Recovered User
Hard Drive Upgrade Help
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 06:15:00 AM »

Did you set the new HDD's jumper back to Master?

If it isn't this there are known problems when using some IDE to SATA adapters so it could just be that. There are some threads here about thse matters if you look.  

Jairomyth

• Archived User
Hard Drive Upgrade Help
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 11:51:00 PM »

Hi FALLENANGLE, the hard drive itself didn't have any jumper settings and when I initially tried to use chimp, it would freeze. That was when I noticed the adapter had its own jumper which lets you select mastor or slave. when I set it to slave CHIMP started working and when It finished, after closing out of it I reset it to master. But I still have no luck.

I'm going to attempt to use XBOXHDM and see what results I get

thanks again for replying smile.gif

Jairomyth

• Archived User
Hard Drive Upgrade Help
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »

Hi everyone, Ok the  XBOXHDM attempt failed on me, so I'm back to chimp. I'm trying version 2.618. this time when I try to click on the blender icon the screen shows a error 04 and says it cannot read FATX? does anyone have any ideas?