xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Version 1.6 Xbox  (Read 336 times)

placer

• Archived User
Version 1.6 Xbox
« on: June 30, 2012, 10:33:00 AM »

Hello,

Completely new to modding xbox's. I have been looking for several days trying to get a clear understanding of the direction I need to go in....... little overwhelmed. My goal is to install xbmc and larger HD. From what I understand the version that I have is the hardest to mod. From what I have read I can soft mod as well as only hard mod can be done with v1.6, little confused.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Movax

• Recovered User
Version 1.6 Xbox
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »

As softmod is perfectly fine, otherwise you need to install/solder a modchip.

To explain how to softmod is not so easy because there are various approaches depending on what you have available and are willing to do. A very common way is to hotswap to xboxhdm. If you have an old PC (with old IDE hardrive interfaces) that might be the easiest way..(there are upgraded versions of xboxhdm as well that will work better with newer PCs.)

If you have a memory card or are willing to get one, you may have other options (install an exploit).

This post has been edited by Movax: Jun 30 2012, 05:45 PM

placer

• Archived User
Version 1.6 Xbox
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 10:49:00 AM »

I do have an older pc as well as an old xbox controller that does not work to use the cable to modify to use a usb stick.

Movax

• Recovered User
Version 1.6 Xbox
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 11:39:00 AM »

Well to summarize there are two mains ways to install the softmod:

1) Get a gamesave exploit with softmod installer (Krayzie 1.1.1) onto the hard drive. You can hotswap, use a memory card with adapter (for PC), a compatible USB stick with adapter (for xbox). You of course need the original game disk of the game you want to use to run the exploit. (ex. Splinter Cell) Softmod from there.

2) Put the softmod files directly onto the hardrive with hotswap.

There are also various other possible ways, but you should probably start there. If you have easy access to an old PC you could try hotswap with the original xboxhdm with kingroach ndure installer. Be aware there is a small risk of frying your hard drive, not likely though.

placer

• Archived User
Version 1.6 Xbox
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 01:07:00 PM »

Movax,

Thanks so much for getting back with me.

OK, first I have downloaded what I think is the ndure installer from here  and have installed it on another pc. Correct me if I am wrong, but it will create the xboxhdm from which I burn to a cd. From there I boot old pc with cd that will have bigger hd, then will perpare hd to install in xbox. correct?????

Movax

• Recovered User
Version 1.6 Xbox
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 05:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Oct 9 2010, 05:22 AM) View Post

Kingroach's installer makes the script file for you. It's called ndure.htm, and you just have to rename it ndure (no extension). Run Kingroach NDURE 3.1, select your Kernel version under "Kernel Selection" and select "Create XBOXHDM Installer" - leave all other options at default.

Build your xboxhdm disc using the stock C from Slayers / AID / CASH (Slayers:\SYSTEM\All\c\, or AID:\Files\Dash\ms-c.zip, or CASH:\StockFiles\c\), and the Kingroach NDURE 3.1 files you just made. Rename ndure.htm to ndure (no extension), and place it in linux/ndure/ndure. Put the stock C in linux/C, and the Kingroach 3.1 files in linux/ndure (the Kingroach C and E directories and the ndure script should be immediately below this i.e. linux/ndure/C/ and linux/ndure/E/.)

Hotswap and run xboxhdm, select option 1 - boot VGA Console, then type xboxhd, then select option 2 - Rebuild C partition on existing Xbox drive. Once that has finished exit, then type xbrowser, run the ndure script, then select option 1.

Get your kernel version from the stock ms dashboard info screen.. it will be 5838 if you have a 1.6

placer

• Archived User
Version 1.6 Xbox
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »

Movax,

Sorry to take so long getting back. I have been reading up on hotswap and xboxhdm (both still not 100% sure about but, getting closer). Anyway, I was unsure about when you started talking about "stock C and Slayers", so I found another a guide talking (I think) about the same thing link. I went through to step 5 and created the disc and am able to boot from it. From there I believe I run the last part of your post "Hotswap and run xboxhdm...". Also, I have ordered Splinter cell and it looks like it is going to take about a week to get here. When I do get it I am still unsure when it comes into play.

Thanks for everything

Heimdall

• Archived User
Version 1.6 Xbox
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »

The tutorial you linked to is a bit misleading. It tells you to select far too many options in Kingroach NDURE 3.1, and it tells you to install XBMC directly as your dash instead of using the shortcut method (which is cleaner, and makes upgrading lots easier).

Follow my version (from Movax's post) - it is cleaner and simpler, and gets the job done properly.

If you are hotswapping you don't need Splinter Cell.

This post has been edited by Heimdall: Jul 2 2012, 01:27 AM

placer

• Archived User
Version 1.6 Xbox
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 08:16:00 PM »

Heimdall,

Thanks so much for helping,

OK, I ran the Ndure-3.1 setup, the drop down Ndure Retail is selected ( Core files is already checked), selected my kernel version (5838) and selected "Create XBOXHDM Installed". Nothing else is checked. Once done, it creates an ndure folder that has C and D folders, checkid file, and ndure web page (I am thinking the one I am suppose to remove the extension). From there I am not sure how to build the xboxhdm as well as understand the stock c from slayers thing. As far as the Splinter cell game I pissed away four dollars, but that's cool. But, once again thanks guys for helping the moron.  

Movax

• Recovered User
Version 1.6 Xbox
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »

Splinter cell will make it much easier to mod more xboxes in the future!

You have one part correct, now you just need to build the xboxhdm image and burn it. The stock C files (from slayers or wherever) and the files created from the ndure script go to their corresponding locations, then you run the script to create the disk image for xboxhdm and burn a bootable xboxhdm disk. (I think..it's been awhile.)

And yes rename ndure.htm or whatever it is to just ndure.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=496263

placer

• Archived User
Version 1.6 Xbox
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »

Thanks guys

I just got called to work and will be gone for a week, but will be reading up while away. I am sure I will have more questions when I get back.

Thanks again

Phil479

• Archived User
Version 1.6 Xbox
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 08:34:00 AM »

I didn't install a new hard drive however this video helped me loads:

placer

• Archived User
Version 1.6 Xbox
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »

Ok, I watched the video and instead of having a xbox memory card I took an old controller cable and made modded it to use a usb flash drive. from there I used this guide link I got as far step 10. I format my flash drive in action replay, transfer files, plug it into the xbox and it tells my memory card is not working, it has been erased. repeated several times with no luck. Any ideas?

placer

• Archived User
Version 1.6 Xbox
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »

New problem, I managed to get a hold of a 8mb xbox memory card and reader. I cut the reader cable, spliced it to usb, plugged into pc. Using Action Reply is tranfsfer sid 5.0 install and splinter cell files. Plugged card in controller,  went to copy files to the hard drive, no copy option, only delete. At a complete loss, have no idea where to go from here.

Heimdall

• Archived User
Version 1.6 Xbox
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »

Use the D-Pad to move right onto the actual gamesave.

We would normally recommend that newbies should use Krayzie NDURE 1.1.1 rather than SID. If you insist on using SID, make sure you use the latest version (5.11), and pick one of the virtual C, virtual eeprom options.
Pages: [1] 2