xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Refreshing A Softmod  (Read 210 times)

Code-Red

• Archived User
Refreshing A Softmod
« on: June 29, 2012, 08:32:00 PM »

I did a softmod about 5 years ago, and decided to pull it out of storage and use it again. Unfortunately, for some reason most of the games are deleting themselves or are corrupt, and the system is generally degraded.

I have the EEPROM but no backup of the hard drive. What's the easiest way to get it back to life? I'm thinking something like this:

1. Download Slayers
2. Extract EEPROM
3. Remove HDD and format, then use XboxHDM (with slayers?) to reformat it

I've never used Slayers before, so this is new to me.

Movax

• Recovered User
Refreshing A Softmod
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »

What does the xbox do exactly?

This is my best guess, not knowing what is wrong:

You should determine if the hard drive is damaged. If you are confident it is okay or you want to give it a chance you should look for HeXen (google) and burn to DVD-R at low speed and boot that on your xbox and install a new softmod.  (softmod section look for krayzies 1.1.1.)

If you want to install a new hard drive, there are various ways to do so. http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=659887

Code-Red

• Archived User
Refreshing A Softmod
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 03:09:00 PM »

I believe the hard drive is fine (I think I corrupted XBMC at some point over the years), however I'll check it when it's pulled.

I can't install a new hard drive because I don't have the original HDD backup, so that's what I need the help with. Do I install the Slayers backup, restore it to stock, then re-softmod it? Or is there an easier way than that?

Movax

• Recovered User
Refreshing A Softmod
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »

If the system will boot backups/homebrew then get HeXen and give the re-softmod a try like in my previous post.

ldotsfan

• Archived User
Refreshing A Softmod
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(Code-Red @ Jun 30 2012, 10:32 AM) View Post

Unfortunately, for some reason most of the games are deleting themselves or are corrupt, and the system is generally degraded.

What is the hdd size? How did you format it? The symptoms seem to suggest more than just XBMC files corruption.

Just to be clear, you shouldn't use Slayer anymore - at least for softmods. HeXEn is the modern equivalent and designed to work with softmods.

Code-Red

• Archived User
Refreshing A Softmod
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »

Ahhhhhhhh. For some reason, I thought we were talking about HeXen the FPS, and I was sitting here thinking "how the hell is this supposed to fix my Xbox?".  biggrin.gif

Thanks Movax and Idots. I'll give it a try today and see how it works afterwards.