xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Cloning A Hdd In Chimp V2.4  (Read 76 times)

Xiion

• Archived User
Cloning A Hdd In Chimp V2.4
« on: May 09, 2007, 09:11:00 PM »

I have read alot of tutorials for getting a cloned HD with Chimp on my xbox, i have EVERYTHING set up: 1 new hdd (was used before by a friend, and had a virus on it, still might have it on it), 1 xbox version 1.0, and a pc that i can use to attach the molex power cord to the hd. i would use xbhdm but the computer im using doesnt plug into my monitor.

now, when i scan for the hd on the ide cable, it shows up as /dev/hdb. now i unlock it, and disable security. that works. now here is my problem, i hit clone hd, press exit once it comes up with first menu that makes sure i have the right harddrive in the right position (slave and master) new hd on slave, softmodded hd on master. i hit exit, brings me to a new window, this one asks yes or no to wipe out and format /dev/hdb. i hit yes. then it freezes. happens to all my other harddrives i've tried it on and its really about to make me rip out my hair with tweezers. if anyone can help i will be most thankful. the hdd i am using IS lockable, but just yesterday after trying to unlock it, it said the drive was frozen. but when i went to check if it still was today, it wasnt. my ide cable broke on the dvd part, so i cant pull it out, other wise i wont have a dvd drive anymore. so ill be doing this with my friends xbox, which is also a v1.0

i have learned alot lately about the xbox, and modchips, softmods, linux on the xbox, all that good stuff, but only because of my ban. after i got banned twice, which was a dumb mistake for me to do, desperate in answers, i search all over the internet, each answer leading to a new question. i have recently found
the answer to my xbhdm problem, which is that i need a different computer. hopefully my friend ryan will bring his computer home from his dads house so i may tinker with it, but until then, its chimp v2.4. any help at all is very appreciated.

1hotjob

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 07:05:00 AM »

Read in the "Utilities that run on the PC, Xbox related" section. You may need to go back 3-5 pages. There was an excellent tutorial written to utilize the clone function in Xboxhdm. It gives you some parameters to type in so you get a progress bar and it doesn't take a day to clone the drive.

The simplest way to get his Xbox going is to mod it then FTP the dashboards over.

Xiion

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 05:04:00 PM »

that answer was the exact opposite of what i was asking for. cant use a computer, and i am not a noob when it comes down xbox modding, i have every app on my xbox except for all linux distros. i dont have any illegal warez on the box, however. which is a good thing. but i need help with why i am getting this problem with chimp 2.4

1hotjob

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 05:52:00 PM »

Sorry, I haven't used Chimp and was unaware that it was an Xbox App.

Can you mod his at all? If so, why not FTP the stuff between Xboxes? I know it isn't your ideal solution, but you can connect the two with XBMC, Xtoolbox(?), Avalaunch and UnleashX. From there transfer the files.

Xiion

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 10:38:00 PM »

im actually trying to use chimp to upgrade my hdd to a 80gb western digital. it is lockable, i've checked with config magic 1.6 and all other versions of config magic, i managed to lock it, then unlock it to test it out, and it worked jsut fine. my question is, would there be a way to change the harddrives unique unlock/lock code to my stock harddrives eeprom code? cos that'd help me out so i may access both the hd's on my xbox and format the new one using a slayers disc with out it locking up/ freezing. probably not possible, but if i were able to restore my broken harddrive on my 1.6b xbox, i'd be able to change the eeprom on the motherboard to the new hd's eeprom code. w/e... someone tell me if its possible or not.

1hotjob

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 08:01:00 AM »

The locking code is unique to the Xbox, not the HD. You can put any HD in your Xbox and format it, do what ever you want to it. Then to lock it is another story.

The simplest way to do it is to get his eeprom and flash it to your Xbox with Configmagic. After that, when you lock a HD, it will work in his Xbox. If you play on Live with your Xbox, you will need to flash your's back so you have different eeproms.

If his Xbox is chipped, you don't need to do that. His chipped or Tsop'd Xbox doesn't need a locked HD. It should boot an unlocked HD.

Xiion

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »

its not chipped, but im going to get a duox2 chip sometime over summer if possible and place it into my 1.6b box. are there any other ways to upgrade a softmodded xboxes hd with only the xbox and not using a computer? i dont know or when im going to be able to get my hands on a different computer i can use xbhdm on. unless someone i know nearby can upgrade my hd using a hardmodded box. i only know one guy, but he doesnt live near me.

Xiion

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 12:22:00 AM »

I'm very sorry for the bump, but i'm desperate for answers on this, as it still wont work. i ordered my modchip, and it should be arriving sometime this week.