xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Static Or Logical Ip?  (Read 118 times)

Junglist_Refugee

• Archived User
Static Or Logical Ip?
« on: April 08, 2005, 02:07:00 AM »

is there any advantages in using a static over a logical?

transfer rates?

bigga

• Archived User
Static Or Logical Ip?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 02:21:00 AM »

I take it that you mean Static or Dynamic (DHCP) IP.  If you connect your xbox to a router (with a straight thru/patch cable) then you need DHCP and if you connect straight to your PC (through a Network Interface Card with a crossover cable) then you need a static IP.

One way I have found of boosting the speed is to FTP through XBMC, as this tends to give better speed especially on the standard HDD.  Just run XBMC as connect as you normally would.

This post has been edited by bigga: Apr 8 2005, 09:22 AM

Ecrofirt

• Archived User
Static Or Logical Ip?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 05:28:00 AM »

QUOTE(bigga @ Apr 8 2005, 09:21 AM)
I take it that you mean Static or Dynamic (DHCP) IP.  If you connect your xbox to a router (with a straight thru/patch cable) then you need DHCP and if you connect straight to your PC (through a Network Interface Card with a crossover cable) then you need a static IP.

?

My Xbox is plugged right in to the router, and I've had it set with a static IP for over a year. It connects to the internet without problems.

GodOfWarAres

• Archived User
Static Or Logical Ip?
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 07:26:00 AM »

And i have mine set up as dynamic through a 2nd NIC

nickb834

• Archived User
Static Or Logical Ip?
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 01:53:00 PM »

All of your scenarios are correct, however to give a definitive answer:

You have to use a Static IP if there is no DHCP server on your network.

If there is a DHCP server then you may also use a Static IP if:

1) The static IP you specify is acceptible for that network ie right range
2) That IP you specify is not used already or reserved
3) That the DHCP / network is actually configured to allow mixed static / dynamic IP address

You can actually specify any ip in any of the scenarios above, but whether it works depends on the above circumstances.

If you specify to use DHCP where there is no DHCP server available then your NIC will receive some arbitrary IP address which is almost guaranteed NOT to work.

Alot of home routers have built in DHCP servers these days and the advantage of using DHCP over static is that basically, home users can plug and unplug new devices onto the network at random - without worrying about what settings to use.

There is no advantage of using either Static or Dynamic IP address as far as transfer rates or even network latency is concerned.

The disadvantage of Dynamic address particularly for larger networks is that your devices may not receive the same ip address all the time. Alot of home routers allow you to use Dynamic address whilst reserving particular address for a specific host. This helps for FTP as you will be able to access the device using the same ip evry time.

HTH

Nick

JungMin

• Archived User
Static Or Logical Ip?
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 02:28:00 AM »

I CAN ftp to my xbox when NOT in XBMC no problem.  When in XBMC, I CAN connect to the internet (watch movie trailers, online radio, etc).

BUT.....

I CAN'T connect to my XBOX when XBMC is loaded???  I cant ftp to it, nor can I connect to the webserver.

XBMC is set to get IP info automatically (DHCP).  If I change it to static, then I can connect to the webserver.  (my xbox is connected directly to my pc - 2nd NIC)

Now that I type this.....I think the problem is that I dont know the IP of my XBOX when i'm in XBMC!!!  I dont see it listed anywhere, because it gets it automatically.

If I used the IP that is setup in the dashboard, it doesnt work - obviously cuz its getting a new IP when in XBMC.

Yeah, so i think i know the problem, but dunno the answer.