xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Controller Port Lights  (Read 1415 times)

Chicken_Chaser

• Archived User
Controller Port Lights
« on: July 01, 2006, 11:47:00 PM »

Here's my finished controller port leds! I started them last night, went to sleep at 12am, woke up at 11am, started them again, and ended up finishing them at about 4pm (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) . God they were a pain to do, and I used De-Solder braid to help loosen the metal casing around the ports, which helped alot. Also, the lights in the 3rd port are facing a wierd way (Slipped when I put the portds back in I think), so they're dim (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) I'll fix it up later. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleep.gif)

Also, any suggestions on what else to do to my Xbox are welcome, but nothing too hard lol (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I was thinking of buying a fan with a cathode and throwing that in there so the back glows  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) What size are they, like 60 or 80 or something (The size where you don't have to cut anything to fit it).

Enjoy,
CC.

Special Thanks to Grim_D!

Here's some pics:
(IMG:http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a38/Jizzlefoshizzle/Ports1.jpg)

(IMG:http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a38/Jizzlefoshizzle/ports4.jpg)

(IMG:http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a38/Jizzlefoshizzle/ports3.jpg)

(IMG:http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a38/Jizzlefoshizzle/Ports2.jpg)

Sorry about the quality, my camera is crappy and I can't be bothered loading the software for my bro's one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

This post has been edited by Chicken_Chaser: Jul 2 2006, 06:49 AM

twi7ch

• Archived User
Controller Port Lights
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 11:51:00 PM »

Very nice. How many leds did you put for each port?

Looks nice, I'm also thinking about doing a fan mod to make mine glow a bit.  I think I saw a 60mm fan with red leds (color I need (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif))...maybe they will have green but don't hold me to it.

Chicken_Chaser

• Archived User
Controller Port Lights
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 11:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(twi7ch @ Jul 2 2006, 03:51 PM) *

Very nice. How many leds did you put for each port?

Looks nice, I'm also thinking about doing a fan mod to make mine glow a bit.  I think I saw a 60mm fan with red leds (color I need (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif))...maybe they will have green but don't hold me to it.

Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif). I used 2 3mm leds for each port, I followed This Tutorial which is pretty good.

Ah yeah, I guess i'll take a look at my local comp shop for a fan with green, I could just order one in aswell if there isn't any. If you do get the fan, make sure you post pics when it's fitted  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .

Thanks,
CC.

Stratus

• Archived User
Controller Port Lights
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 12:30:00 AM »

Looks good, It's a simple mod, but it really adds to the Xbox's look. I like the green in the Halo LE

Good job, it turned out good.

Chicken_Chaser

• Archived User
Controller Port Lights
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 01:13:00 AM »

Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Yeah most of the colour on my box is gonna' be green (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

On another note, i plugged my controller in and it didn't 'click' in, so I took out my 1 & 2nd ports, and a pin has been bent inside port 1  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Now my controller doesn't plug in. It looks like this:

___----|===
--------|===
--------|===
--------|===

the --- represents the pins inside the port, and the = represents the wires on the back of the port (under the metal case). The ___ represents where the 'prong' is meant to be sitting, flush against the bottom of the port. the 1st 'prong' has bent back somehow, and by putting the controller in, it's folded over itself, and now it's blocking my controller going in. I'm trying to hook it with wire to unbend it, but it'd be so much easier if the damn ports opened up like the dongles -.- Ideas for fixing, anyone?

thanks,
CC.

This post has been edited by Chicken_Chaser: Jul 2 2006, 08:16 AM

Chicken_Chaser

• Archived User
Controller Port Lights
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 01:37:00 AM »

I fixed it, although my prong is a bit bend, i'll work it back into place (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by Chicken_Chaser: Jul 2 2006, 08:37 AM

silent_line

• Archived User
Controller Port Lights
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 02:39:00 AM »

looks great....i was going to start mine today but i'll save them for a lazy sunday afternoon....keep up the good work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Chicken_Chaser

• Archived User
Controller Port Lights
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 03:05:00 AM »

Haha yeah, that's why I fixed mine up today. I might see if I can get a fan with a cathode soon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

Post pics when your ports are done  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy.gif)

Thanks for the comments,
CC.

grim_d

• Archived User
Controller Port Lights
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2006, 04:52:00 AM »

looking good buddy, pop some vent leds in there, it's simple to do and looks great, it just takes a few hours to get it all done.

you coud pick up an 80mm green led fan and get that in there.

if you put any cathodes in there (apart from a jewel one cos it's an le) then ill kick your ass. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

just pm me if you need any help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Chicken_Chaser

• Archived User
Controller Port Lights
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006, 05:23:00 AM »

QUOTE(grim_d @ Jul 2 2006, 08:52 PM) *

looking good buddy, pop some vent leds in there, it's simple to do and looks great, it just takes a few hours to get it all done.

you coud pick up an 80mm green led fan and get that in there.

if you put any cathodes in there (apart from a jewel one cos it's an le) then ill kick your ass. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

just pm me if you need any help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Ah thanks for the info! and i assure you, NO cathodes other than maybe a jewel are going in there hahaha (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

thanks man,
CC.

This post has been edited by Chicken_Chaser: Jul 2 2006, 12:23 PM

bucko

• Recovered User
Controller Port Lights
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2006, 06:06:00 AM »

Nice job mate, I would use an LED fan if I were you. It's 60mm to fit in Xbox but they are hard to find (in England anyway). I wouldn't connect a cathode fan up to the Hard Drive (Y splitter) or Motherboard power would probably draw to much, mind you I've never put any cathodes in my Xbox's.

This post has been edited by bucko: Jul 2 2006, 01:06 PM

Chicken_Chaser

• Archived User
Controller Port Lights
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2006, 06:10:00 AM »

Ohh okay, i'll check for any 60mm led fans in my area, although i'll prob have to order one in cos' I haven't seen any round here, and I don't really wanna' have to mess around fitting an 80 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Thanks for the tip though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy.gif) ,
CC.

This post has been edited by Chicken_Chaser: Jul 2 2006, 01:11 PM

grim_d

• Archived User
Controller Port Lights
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2006, 06:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(bucko @ Jul 2 2006, 01:06 PM) *

Nice job mate, I would use an LED fan if I were you. It's 60mm to fit in Xbox but they are hard to find (in England anyway).

QUOTE(Chicken_Chaser @ Jul 2 2006, 01:10 PM) *

Ohh okay, i'll check for any 60mm led fans in my area, although i'll prob have to order one in cos' I haven't seen any round here, and I don't really wanna' have to mess around fitting an 80 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Thanks for the tip though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy.gif) ,
CC.

http://www.xboxchopshop.com 60mm led fans, gd prices, fast shipping (even internationally) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by grim_d: Jul 2 2006, 01:33 PM

Chicken_Chaser

• Archived User
Controller Port Lights
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2006, 06:44:00 AM »

QUOTE(grim_d @ Jul 2 2006, 10:31 PM) *

http://www.xboxchopshop.com 60mm led fans, gd prices, fast shipping (even internationally) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Damn, they're out of stock for 60mm Custom Led ones (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Def good prices! I'll check back to see if they have any in stock soon if I can't find one around town for sure!

Thanks,
CC.
 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pop.gif)

grim_d

• Archived User
Controller Port Lights
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2006, 07:33:00 AM »