xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Case Screen Mods Help  (Read 367 times)

adeon

• Archived User
Case Screen Mods Help
« on: October 07, 2005, 10:37:00 AM »

i have done 2 case mods that involve screens,

I did one with the hippad screen, and it was great, I am now working on a psone screen mod, (no pics atm sorry :( ) but my question is, have you done one?

this happen with my Hippad scrn, and now with the PSone  :angry:, it works ok with the AV not plugged in, and once I plug the AV in I get video quality loss, the screen gets darker, and its hard to see , I used 30AWG wire on both, maybe thats whats wrong, I think, if anybody has done these mods, and dont get video quality loss, plz Help

ubernewb

• Archived User
Case Screen Mods Help
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 11:35:00 AM »

well of course you got a signal loss... you're taking a signal meant to drive one tv and splitting it to use two. anytime you split anything you get a loss..

only two ways around that problem:

1. look into a small video amplifier (used in car stereo a lot to run multiple screens off of one source unit) .. you should be able to find one that runs on 12v for less than $20 or so if you're good at searching, $40 if you're not. most of them are fairly small so stuffing it in the case shouldn't be too much of an issue.

2. install a switch to turn the lcd off when you've got it running on the tv

adeon

• Archived User
Case Screen Mods Help
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 12:18:00 PM »

thanks ubernewb, will try to find one :)

adeon

• Archived User
Case Screen Mods Help
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 12:26:00 PM »

I found this,,, http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?pa...&prod_id=464944 it supports 4 screens, I havent come to find one with 2, and i dont know how Big this migth be,.,

ubernewb

• Archived User
Case Screen Mods Help
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 02:12:00 PM »

yeah, that would work fine.. it even gives you the ability to adjust the output to fine-tune it (too much signal can be just as bad as too little) .. doesn't look too big judging by the size of the rca jack.. but it gives the dimensions at the bottom of the page, roughly 4 x 3 x 1 .. i imagine it would save some room by removing the thing from it's casing

SICKdimension

• Archived User
Case Screen Mods Help
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 02:45:00 PM »

Just out of curiosity, does the video loss come just from plugging in the AV, or does it come from plugging in the AV and having the TV on? Just extending the wires doesn't create the loss, it's driving 2 screens, right?

adeon

• Archived User
Case Screen Mods Help
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 02:55:00 PM »

Sick, the video Loss comes when you/I plug the Av cable in, even if the TV is off, the loss is still ther, maybe if I switch to thicker wire, it will be less quality loss, Im going to try diffrent methods untill theres less loss, if all fail i will just go with a switch

ubernewb

• Archived User
Case Screen Mods Help
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 03:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(SICKdimension @ Oct 7 2005, 10:49 PM)
Just out of curiosity, does the video loss come just from plugging in the AV, or does it come from plugging in the AV and having the TV on? Just extending the wires doesn't create the loss, it's driving 2 screens, right?

partly right.. it's actually both. if the cable is extended too far, the resistance in thw wire creates a loss. with one tv, you won't notice the loss that much.. if you have two screens, both processors feed off the reduced signal.. then they take that split reduced signal and the end result is a downgrade in picture quality. just like if you take an amplifier that is meant to run one speaker and tie 2 speakers to it.. each speaker will get less power since it has to be split between them.

if you're got any extra $$, order one of those pieces he linked to earlier (or find one on ebay) and play with it. then you can play around with it and experiment with the results of too little and too much signal. it's interesting to see, especially first-hand. i've had to deal with it several times myself while installing multi-monitor car a/v systems.

another thing that comes into effect here is the quality of the screen itself.. a better screen can make do with the lower signal levels and compensate on it's own.. cheap lcds (like everything we see for gaming, and the cheap ebay screens) don't have the same compensation so they are more supceptable to problems.

dareuk

• Archived User
Case Screen Mods Help
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 08:20:00 PM »

hey iv been trying to do this mod for fukn ages now and im stuck with the wiring so when you do this could you plz post me some pics of all the wires in place plz big help email [email protected]            :beer:

adeon

• Archived User
Case Screen Mods Help
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 08:24:00 PM »

hey Dareuk, what screen are you trying to do the mod with?