xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Need To Adapt Xbox Controller For My Son Who Is Di  (Read 554 times)

ceedee

• Archived User
Need To Adapt Xbox Controller For My Son Who Is Di
« on: August 28, 2005, 07:43:00 PM »

Hi
 My son loves his Xbox and he manages very well to overcome his disability but it would be so much easier for him if i could adapt his controller. He was born with no left hand and as such although he finds it relatively easy to use the thumbstick and direction pad he really struggles with the left trigger. He is only 8 years old and he doesnt quite grasp controller options etc etc and also some games do not allow you to change button mappings.
 What i would like to do is modify the controller to move the left trigger somewhere else preferably into the blank space directly above the right trigger.
 Can this be done easily. Is the trigger a analogue switch or would any on-off type switch work. I can solder reasonably well and am not afraid to cut up the controller I was just wondering if anyone with experience could share any insight or pitfalls etc involved in doing this .

Thanks
Ceedee

Poppeseed

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 07:48:00 PM »

Well, if you know anything about Potentometers (sp?) that is what the trigger is.  It would be an easy solder, so if you know what you're doing you should be fine.

If you just hooked up a wire to a switch and then to ground ( i think) it may work like you're pulling it down all the way.  Search for "dual burst mode" and that has the exact specifications on the triggers

finding nemos

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 08:30:00 PM »

I wish I could help! I would make you a controller like that and donate it to you, but im not exactly sure how to switch the triggers... if you need the buttons like abxy or white and black buttons, I can do that!

ceedee

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 08:35:00 PM »

thanks for that
dual burst mode is something i would never have guessed to type into search lol
i see from that that the triggers are way to complex to just move to somewhere else easily
 i will check with my local electrical store to see if theres a button type switch equal to the trigger in function as this would be easier to fit i think
id like to keep the triggers variable function if poss as he uses that in games i think, or if not may need it in future games.
 thasnks for the offer nemo its appreciated but like you moving a button i can do easily. the trigger is not often covered as few people need to move it. anyway i like a challenge.

Himura

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 08:36:00 PM »

try searching around the lines of "halo 2 crouch switch tutorial"

I know it sounds weird, but theres a picture of the controller buttons all mapped out for rearranging them.

soupy_31

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 08:36:00 PM »

im sure with enough support behind you, you could get MS to make a custom one.  well... im not SURE, but if somebody came to me with a cause like that id try my best to help. sorry im of no help but i send my condolences! :(

This post has been edited by soupy_31: Aug 29 2005, 03:37 AM

Glick

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 08:44:00 PM »

With some hacking up and soldering could you remove the right hand rumble motor and mount the left trigger below the right one? tight squeeze on an s-type but maybe possible.

Poppeseed

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2005, 08:47:00 PM »

Well, if you would like, You could send me the controller, and I could do it for you or I could help you out.

Just PM about it, and I will help, but i must go now so I wont respond till tomorrow probably.

soupy_31

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2005, 08:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(Glick @ Aug 28 2005, 10:48 PM)
With some hacking up and soldering could you remove the right hand rumble motor and mount the left trigger below the right one? tight squeeze on an s-type but maybe possible.

hmm, maybe u can transer a type s controller mobo into the original xbox controller cases. (with slight modifications of course) and that will give you some room to work with! hope this helps :)

ceedee

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2005, 08:50:00 PM »

some great ideas coming i am reading up as we speak

if i understand this right the trigger is just a fancy way of turning a potentiometer
im thinking therefore that instead of a trigger which is sort of at right angles to the pot it turns, is there a switch that acts in the same way but vertically. this could be easily mounted when i discover which points to solder to.

like i said im ok at soldering but electronics are not my forte. ive fitted chips etc but this is harder for me.

Modderxtrordanare

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2005, 08:52:00 PM »

Jeremydammit's Tutorial on moving buttons
Heres what I think someone here was looking for.
 :beer:

ceedee

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2005, 08:52:00 PM »

folow up

sorry if i seem to ignore posts but they are appearing whilst i am replying

not sure what you mean by s-type controllers etc

the one i have is the one that comes with the stock xbox here in the UK

I am from England so whilst i thank you for any offers of modding it for me the logistics of shipping to usa and back are a last resort i think

modderxtraordinare thanks but that covers regular buttons not triggers
triggers are more of a problem to switch

This post has been edited by ceedee: Aug 29 2005, 03:56 AM

Modderxtrordanare

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2005, 08:59:00 PM »

An S type controller is the smaller version of the xbox controller, The bigger, original controllers are the dukes.
So someone was saying you could take the boards out of the small controll and into a big case so you'd have more room to work with.  I dont see anything wrong with that.  It might need some sanding on the insides to fit it good.

ceedee

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2005, 09:10:00 PM »

thanks for clarifying i seem to have a s type
so will look into a duke

on another note i am searching for a switch to rplicate the trigger function but am struggling because i dont know the terminology
does anyone know what that kind of switch is refered to as.

Arjun

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2005, 09:36:00 PM »

I'm going to look into this and if I find something I will post back.