xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Replacing A Controller Port For The First Time  (Read 736 times)

wrekx

• Archived User
Replacing A Controller Port For The First Time
« on: October 19, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »

Hi, Examine inside of all controller ports on the xbox.   Try spot the difference.
On the top of the port there should be 2 metal contacts that contact the top of the controller plug.  
On the bottom side there should be 5 gold coloured contacts that should come in contact with the controller plug.  

Any bent or snapped.  If not, maybe a clean might help.

Sometimes dust can get in and on the contacts but also metal corrosion or build up can affect the contacts.

I usually check for bent contacts that will not make contact with the plug properly or if they look ok compared to the others a flattened cotton swab with contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol to clean the bottom contacts, but something much thinner with a tissue over it to make it in the thin space on the top.  MAKE SURE YOU DON'T BEND THE CONTACTS UP or sideways!  Remember they need to poke down / up far enough to make contact with the controller plug when inserted.  Gentle in out clean only.

Hope this helps.

phreak2k13

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 03:07:00 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

I took a good look inside, I see the contacts.  They dont look different on port one than any of the working ones.  I don't believe port one has ever worked since I got this box, I picked it up used.  Is there something inside I can check for if I pull the drives out?

phreak2k13

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 07:28:00 AM »

Wow... is this forum dead or what? over a week and one reply from one newbie...
It's either dead, or not interested in growing.