xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Chipped Xbox Just Died - Psu?  (Read 209 times)

fallenangle

• Recovered User
Chipped Xbox Just Died - Psu?
« on: July 05, 2013, 06:14:00 PM »

Turned on my Xecuter 2.6 V1.6 chipped Xbox tonight and it booted as normal. Went to run a game from the HDD, started that OK but then the Xbox suddenly tried to reboot, failed and then went dark. Front LEDs off, power supply cord/plug checked and working - Xbox just dead.

I'm guessing it is the PSU but there was no sound, no smell or previous indication anything was wrong. Are there any other possible causes of this sort of thing?

Obviously I'll be taking it apart so see what's what but I was wondering if there is some internal fuse or other component(s) that may have blown rather than the whole PSU. Is that possible and, if so, where and is it easy to get replacements?

If it is the whole PSU I should be OK as I bought a crystal v1.6 Xbox to cannibalise for just such problems but are they simple to fit? I believe only other v1.6 PSUs can used with v1.6 Xboxes, is that correct?

fallenangle

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 06:49:00 AM »

Update: good and bad news.

I don't think it is the PSU itself. This morning I tried powering up the Xbox again and it started as normal, all external chip and Xbox LEDs lit up fans/HDD clearly working. Then thirty seconds later it switches off just like before and can't be turned back on again.

However, if I leave it five minutes with the power off and switch it on again the external chip LEDs momentarily light up, quickly followed by the Xbox ones but then it all shutsdown again five seconds later.

It seems to indicate it may be component failure of some sort ( a capacitor perhaps?) but where to look and how to tell?

Any help appreciated.

fallenangle

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 04:29:00 AM »

Looks like it actually is the PSU/power board problem. Rather than taking it out just to find it wasn't that I managed to connect a spare v1.6 Crystal Xbox PSU's output to the MB of the v1.6 in question by balancing it upside-down. The cable was just long enough to reach.

Powered on first time and ran until the Xbox shut itself down as, I think, it does if there's no HDD and output connections attached.  I hope that's correct but I guess until I replace the power board I'm not going to be certain.

I might get another v1.6 because if this is an issue with well used Xboxes, as the chipped one is, I can see myself needing another spare to canabilise in the future.

Also I might also unlock the chipped Xbox's HDD. I thought the most likely thing to go was the chip and with the HDD still locked I'd be 'safe' if that happened. The Xbox would still be bootable to the MS dash. But with it locked I would have been in trouble if this current, apparently PSU, fault hadn't been resolvable.

fallenangle

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 07:14:00 PM »

This forum desperately needs a regular edit option.

Anyway, last update. Replaced the PSU board in the misbehaving Xbox from one in my 'spare' v1.6 Crystal Xbox and everything is now working again.

What I can't see or work out is what is wrong with the old PSU board. I tried fitting it in the 'spare' Crystal Xbox and initially it worked but after a couple of test restarts it suddenly shut down just as it had in the Xbox it came from. But there's no evidence of capacitor leakage or any signs of scorching or other component failure, it all looked very clean and I've given it a good dusting just to make sure. No obviously dry or cracked solder joints either.

But something has obviously failed or is in the process of failing but what? Any ideas?