xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Swapping Hard Drives.  (Read 199 times)

Alex715

• Archived User
Swapping Hard Drives.
« on: April 25, 2013, 12:08:00 PM »

Hi, so last week my old Xbox finally gave up and died on me, dust on the motherboard. So I went ahead and bought a new one off of ebay, cleaned it up and swapped the hard drive with the one from my old Xbox. So of course when I started the machine up I was hit with error 6. So having looked it up I realize that my old hard drive was locked to the motherboard on my old xbox, from what I've read in order to unlock it I need to put it back in the old Xbox, of course that's not going to be possible. So anyway what I want is another way to get my old hard drive to work. I believe that both xbox's are 1.5's and when I was cleaning up the new xbox's innards I noticed that the previous owner had fitted a modchip, I don't know what kind but I can open it back up and have another look if it's helpful. Despite the modchip the xbox seems to boot into the stock dashboard (under the old drive), I'm open to flashing something. The old hard drive is a Seagate (one I want in) and the newer one is a western digital (which I'm sure runs noisier btw). Anyway, if somebody has any ideas that would be great, many thanks.

Heimdall

• Archived User
Swapping Hard Drives.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 12:30:00 PM »

You need to remove the lock from the old hard drive, either with the eeprom contents from your old Xbox (for which you will need an eeprom reader if you don't have a copy of the eeprom), or you may be able to use one of the master passwords (XBOXSCENE or TEAMASSEMBLY). To do the unlocking you will need to use xboxhdm (version 1.9 if your PC has two IDE ports on the motherboard, version 2.2 if it doesn't), or you can use Autobuilder 5.1.

Drop it into the new chipped Xbox and you might be OK. However, if your original Xbox was softmodded then you will need to remove the softmod from the drive and put a booting dash where the BIOS on the chip is looking for its dash. The easiest way to do this is with a boot disc, like HeXEn (Google Heimdall's Xbox Engineering Disc, burn the iso to DVD-R at 4x or slower)

This post has been edited by Heimdall: Apr 25 2013, 07:35 PM

Alex715

• Archived User
Swapping Hard Drives.
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »

Thanks a lot. I'm going to try in a few hours and I'll post the results.

Alex715

• Archived User
Swapping Hard Drives.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 02:32:00 PM »

It works! Thanks a lot for your help, I was clueless smile.gif

Heimdall

• Archived User
Swapping Hard Drives.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 04:13:00 PM »

Glad you got it sorted. smile.gif