xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Dvd Drive Open And Close Alone  (Read 23 times)

Heimdall

• Archived User
Dvd Drive Open And Close Alone
« on: November 03, 2010, 04:59:00 AM »

Sounds like trace corrosion. See this post for links to resources that might help you fix it.

fallenangle

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 07:58:00 AM »

If it's not that it could well be 'just' a problem with the DVD tray drawer.

I've had exactly the same problem on a used (Crystal v.1.6) Xbox I bought in February this year. Right from the start ie. when still as retail the DVD (Samsung) tray drawer was troublesome. I cured it using advice given here and elsewhere of it sticking closed by putting in a new drive band. But that never completely cured the occasional random opening and closing.

Usually this would occur during loading a disc, the light would blink green (as it should on that machine) but much longer than normal. I'd sometimes get the 'Checking' message and then it would spit the draw out again.  

The DVD drive completely failed a few weeks ago and the damned strange thing is that the tray drawer, the only thing that now works, has not had a tray opening/closing incident like that since. It actually sounds more reliable.

I know that comment may seem weird but I've spent so much time working on that tray drawer before and since I know the sound, feel and operation of it has altered for the better. Not much help though sad.gif

My original theory was that the tray itself was slightly warped and wasn't always triggering whatever it is that causes the tray drive motor to cut off once it is properly closed. The problem occurred much more frequently when there was no disc ie. no weight on the tray. During play though I was guessing the vibration was sometimes enough to release the tray drawer opening mechanism (micro switch?).

Now I'm not so sure that's correct. The disc drive is permanently stuck in the down position and the tray drawer, as said, now works perfectly. I don't understand why this should be but it would be logical to think it is connected. But how?

fallenangle

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 04:32:00 PM »

Scrub those comments about it now working perfectly.

Today or the first time in two weeks I fired that console up and the first thing it did is treat me to a series of DVD tray drawer openings, disc in and empty.

Jiggling the tray trawer seemed to cure it so maybe my first theory is correct.

I've now bitten the bullet and opened up this console (the first time I've done this with any Xbox).

Extracted the DVD drive but I still can't work out how it cuts/triggers and reverses the motor to the tray drawer. But there was quite a bit of dust and compacted fluff  in the mechanism and I'm hoping that giving it a good clean and following a Xbox DVD drive repair/trouble shooting guide I found it might sort out the tray opening problem even if the drive is otherwise stuffed.

fallenangle

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »

Sorry to hijack this thread again but against all the odds I appear to have fixed my dead DVD drive Xbox and somehow sorted the tray opening/closing problem as well.

Once I'd taken the thing apart I eventually discovered that the disc drive was not locked in the down position as I'd thought.. There was nothing wrong with it, the disc drive or tray drawer mechanism either. The fault was the laser carriage had somehow just stuck in place.

Once released and a little appropriate lube on the drive shaft it started working properly again. Strangely this is exactly the same problem I had with the only other console that has caused me problems - a Dreamcast. Cure was the same too and that's been working without any significant trouble for 5+ years since I repaired it.  

I took the opportunity to give the whole Xbox Samsung DVD a thorough dusting and cleaning, re-lubricating in a few places too. Put it all back together and it's now working just as it should. Why any of this should have cured the tray drawer issue I don't know but I've given it a thorough workout with media of all types and not had any recurrence.

grasp

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 12:57:00 AM »

No problem fallenangle, "Sorry to hijack this thread"  tongue.gif , if i understand what you say, i'm going to see if it's not the same for my "bobox"

fallenangle

• Recovered User
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 06:15:00 AM »

You should consider Heimdall's suggestion as to the cause of your problem  being the strongest possibility in your case. If I've understood your original post correctly: you've fitted a mod-chip in a previously correctly functioning machine and afterwards it doesn't work properly. It might just be coincidence but chances are those two things are related.

However there's no harm in giving the DVD drive a 'spring' clean and service, far from it. I hope it works out for you.

BTW I found a short but very useful guide which certainly helped me:-

http://llamma.com/xb..._dvd_repair.htm

hope it's OK to post this link.