xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Microsoft Charges you 50 USD for 2 Months of LIVE  (Read 2419 times)

MrFish

• Archived User
Microsoft Charges you 50 USD for 2 Months of LIVE
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »

QUOTE(leorimolo @ Aug 19 2008, 02:55 AM) *

If you live outside of the US its pretty hard to find these for retail prices

Just buy them off the internet and pay with Paypal. Even with their conversion charges, the tanking dollar means you're still saving 50%.

QUOTE(z3ddicus @ Aug 19 2008, 07:24 PM) *

Also, why does the headline read "Microsoft Charges you 50 USD for 2 Months of LIVE"? That is a completely false and misleading headline.  He is still getting 12 months of Xbox Live for his 50.  He is paying for the 2 months he is deliquent and the following 10 months.

RTFA. They charged him $50, then didn't give him his ten months.

g8crapachino

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2008, 12:29:00 PM »

Yes, everything you read on the internet is true.   jester.gif    

This story proves that no matter how asinine and fundamentally flawed a story may be,  there will always be people suddenly coming out of the woodwork claiming the same thing.  You simply can't prove anyone's story either way and since it's Microsoft it makes people feel smug to jump in and bash.

When my account expired it automatically reverted to Silver.  When I paid again it reverted back to Gold.  It was as simple as that.  That was my experience and the experience of a multitude of others.  Those people suddenly claiming otherwise have yet to provide a plausible explanation as to why they were treated differently and why they waited until this news article was posted to suddenly claim the same thing happened to them.

PHC oMaLz

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2008, 01:15:00 PM »

QUOTE(Kerii @ Aug 19 2008, 02:04 AM) View Post

Sounds like bull.

When my credit card expired and my subscription ran up, my account simply reverted to silver automatically.
I got a 1 month e-mail reminder before it happened, and another one when it did happen.
Wasn't really gaming much at the time so I let it sit for over six months like that.

Reactivating earlier this year involved nothing but updating the expiration date of the card on my 360, and then selecting a subscription plan.

You might want to check your cc again cause i also had a situation like yours and I was told i need to pay for a 6 month sub. and if i wanted to i could by a year sub after that to cont. with a gold membership.

I filed a complaint to M$ and the acualy rebust me for 5 months  on the 6 month sub

MrFish

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2008, 02:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(g8crapachino @ Aug 19 2008, 08:05 PM) *

when my account expired it automatically reverted to Silver.  When I paid again it reverted back to Gold.  It was as simple as that.  That was my experience and the experience of a multitude of others.  Those people suddenly claiming otherwise have yet to provide a plausible explanation as to why they were treated differently and why they waited until this news article was posted to suddenly claim the same thing happened to them.

I'll wager you use scratchcards, not a recurring credit card subscription. Hence your subscription works the way you'd expect it to, and not in the wacky legacy-from-LIVE-for-the-black-Xbox way that the credit card subscriptions do.

If you search here, you'll doubtless find a tonne of people complaining that they've had their account canceled, locked, or had to pay through the nose to get it back, and the thing they'll all have in common is that they paid by credit card. The whole scheme is slightly asinine, because credit cards last 5-6 years, so 16-20 percent of your customer base will be using a card that's not good for the rebill. Add to that the scratchcard scheme giving you customers the impression that they're making a one-off purchase, and hilarity ensues.

I've seen, with my own eyes, accounts that have been cancelled for the rebills bouncing because the credit card expired, which is why I only use scratchcards.

hassle

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2008, 02:57:00 PM »

i dont understand how this happened? ive had an expired card on my account for almost a year, and i have bought 3 or 4 1 month cards from blockbuster and used them without a problem. its a prepayed account, and iff they cant charge your card you dont get the gold account. SO HOW THE HELL DID THIS HAPPEN?

The only way i see this being legit is if they gave you a gold account without charging you... and Microsoft isn't that generous

MrFish

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2008, 04:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(hassle @ Aug 19 2008, 09:57 PM) *

i dont understand how this happened? ive had an expired card on my account for almost a year, and i have bought 3 or 4 1 month cards from blockbuster and used them without a problem. its a prepayed account, and iff they cant charge your card you dont get the gold account. SO HOW THE HELL DID THIS HAPPEN?

The only way i see this being legit is if they gave you a gold account without charging you... and Microsoft isn't that generous

Did you ever pay for your LIVE Gold subscription (not Microsoft Points) with that card? And did you remember to downgrade to LIVE Silver manually, or cash-in a LIVE Gold scratchcard before the billing date?

If you answered yes to both questions, you'll see no problems.

If you answered no to both questions, you'll see no problems.

If you answered yes to the first, and no to the second, then something quite unexpected happens.

Mushy2000

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2008, 05:10:00 PM »

Wow... XbxScene I'm disappointed...  this story is old... and he was refunded 6 hours later after the story was posted...

http://consumerist.c...box-live-member

Please stop posting this garbage...

Kerii

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2008, 08:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(PHC oMaLz @ Aug 19 2008, 12:51 PM) View Post

You might want to check your cc again cause i also had a situation like yours and I was told i need to pay for a 6 month sub. and if i wanted to i could by a year sub after that to cont. with a gold membership.

I filed a complaint to M$ and the acualy rebust me for 5 months  on the 6 month sub
I do banking online, so it's unlikely considering how often I check it.

I'm looking at it right now sorted by keyword Microsoft, there's the one from March when I resubscribed, and all the other ones look fine.

QUOTE(robo989 @ Aug 19 2008, 04:47 AM) View Post

This is a BS story. No, I mean sure its true, but you have no right to be contesting these charges.

You're all obviously a bunch of kids who have used your parents visa card, and just "forgotten" about it.

Well I'm afraid this is real life, and if you want to use credit cards and what not, you need to understand that there are implications for things like...

NOT PAYING YOUR BALANCE ON TIME
AUTO-RENEWELS

If you're not familiar with this kind of shit, then more fool you.

I'm surprised this has even made it as a "story".

The person even admitted IGNORING REMINDERS TO PAY.

Ahhhhh this post is a waste of time you lot aren't even 18 are you? Silly little kids, need to shut up and grow up.
++ To this.

I once overdrafted my checking twice in the same day for a $40 penalty each. I don't blame my bank, it was my fault for not being aware my checking account was empty.

Devedander

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »

Curious what all the nay sayers think in light of MS admitting there mistake and making it right?

To all those saying it was his fault and these are fines like an overdraft, have you found this "about to go to collections" surcharge anywhere in tos or paperwork?  Somehow I doubt it...

This isn't like a late penalty or fee as everyone seems so quick to say, its a tier 1 rep making something up on the spot like a best buy employee making some bogus reason up for denying your return or warranty.
Pages: 1 2 [3]