xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Failed X2.3l+ Installation... What Now?  (Read 1020 times)

kardis

• Archived User
Failed X2.3l+ Installation... What Now?
« on: January 02, 2004, 11:51:00 AM »

Hi, I'm new to all this and tried to install an X2.3l+ in my v1.4/1.5 xbox. Once I finally got all the lights to come on (2 blue and 1 green), I tried enabling the chip and got the dreaded 2 boots then FRAG. Even worse is when I remove the chip completely, the xbox still does the 2 boot then FRAG. I've read this can be due to a bios error, or some other general error, such as a short on the mobo. Is it possible I toasted the onboard bios while doing the install? Or would this have to be a short?

I'm buying a multimeter today so I can check the traces and see if I disconnected one while I was scraping away the coating on the D0. If so I will try to reconnect the trace, either with a conductive pen or by soldering some 30 AWG wire as suggested.

My question is if there is a short on the mobo, would it still be possible to boot from the bios on my X2.3l+ if it's enabled and has a functional bios? I never got to see if my chip was actually installed correctly, except for that I can get the 3 lights, so I don't know if it's not working because the bios on the chip is bad, or because the chip is still not installed correctly. Furthermore, if the mobo is messed up, would it not matter, because the chip wouldn't work anyway? Should I bother getting a programmer to flash a new bios onto the X2.3l+ and try to get it to work, or forget about that until I can get the xbox to boot up correctly without the chip installed? I'm hoping I can get the mobo fixed, but if not I'm hoping a working mod chip will allow me to still use the xbox.

Any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

kardis

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2004, 02:50:00 PM »

Ok, so I checked the traces around the area where the mod chip came in contact, and they were all intact. If I stripped the D0 point too much, would that lead to the 2boot/FRAG? If not then the only thing I can come up with is that the onboard bios and the bios on my X2.3l+ are bad. Does that sound right? If so I should be able to flash my chip with a programmer and be able to boot up.

Thoughts?

Zlashx

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2004, 03:33:00 PM »

These light chips just don't work worth a damn with a 1.5.  It did the same thing to my xbox and screwed it all up.

ShyutanSan

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2004, 06:24:00 AM »

Man... why do people scrape away the surface of the d0? on the xecuter lite +??? you don't need to do that.

the pogo pin is so huge, it will hit the d0.  v1.5 xboxes should have no problems with the 2.3 Xecuter Lite Plus, once you put the chip in and get the 3 LED's to light up, the cromwell bios should take over and then the dvd tray should open.

Did you make sure that your harddrive + dvd drive were plugged in?  After all the stuff is properly pluged in, thats when you turn on your xbox with chip enabled.  The dvd tray should open, and thats when you put in your bios cd.  (xecuter2 4979 Repack works well)

I had everything work the 1st time i put this stuff in, no errors.  So if it is still fragging after that, there may be a problem with your chip.  (or the fact that you scraped off too much surface on the d0)

rustlessbowl

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2004, 06:34:00 AM »

Make sure you haven't plugged one of the cables going into the hard drive or dvd drive in upside down. I've done that before   unsure.gif ..

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2004, 07:28:00 AM »

These light chips just don't work worth a damn with a 1.5. It did the same thing to my xbox and screwed it all up.

Sounds to me more like poor installation and flashing techniques. Cannot understand people blaming the Mod for bad fitting and commisioning. If unsure or not fully confident on fitting the Mod I would get someone that is.
The Mod is fine unfortunately some of the installs I have had to fix are terrible