xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: Using The X2lite Programmer (x2cable/xp Method)  (Read 9395 times)

XdonX

• Archived User
Using The X2lite Programmer (x2cable/xp Method)
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2004, 02:08:00 PM »

Need help. I've done everything there. Okay when i hook up the programmer on my computer there is suppose to be the two red light on right ?

- then i place the x2.3b lite plus modchip to the programmer,
the two blue led lights go on. then what's next ? connect the wire the they provide
with the programmer to the modchip then hook it up to where ? does it go on the programmer ? but when i do the lights all go out ?

- My computer i'm using is an Window Xp ? is that alright to use.

- when i hook up the wire that they provide. my computer freezes and i can't
do anything.

- when i go to MsDos i type the steps you say . cd x2 ---> c:x2 ---> x2cable r --->
unable to start driver ? what does that mean ?

PLS. let me know what i can do. i can't get my modchip flashed. Cause i flashed a bad on it. It really sucks cos i paid for the chip and i bought the programmer and i can't even get it to work. please help.

im_so_shibby

• Archived User
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2004, 09:33:00 PM »

dont use the wire provided

TKallstar

• Archived User
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2004, 12:36:00 PM »

The problem im having is that i hooked the lite +  up to the programmer and hooked the programmer up to the printer port and it says unable to start drive.

XplicitContent

• Archived User
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2004, 07:44:00 PM »

I did it and it worked like a charm! biggrin.gif  BUT, instead of this tutorial, I used the one from modchipman.com in the "how to" section. It guides you using the X2 Lite Flasher, unlike this one. It really helps instead of using the X2cable method, the flasher does the x2cable for you easily. I'm sooo happy it didnt screw up! You guys should check out their guide, its good.

X-ecuter

• Archived User
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2004, 02:59:00 PM »

http://www.teamxecuter.com/x2prog/

there you go wink.gif

seriouslysilly

• Archived User
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2005, 11:15:00 AM »

oldie but a goodie

Lerxst

• Archived User
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2003, 01:00:00 PM »

After reading about the many people having troubles with the X2lite programmer, I decided to write a detailed tutorial on using it, as the information I found was sketchy at best. This was written from a standpoint of using XP as the OS, but should apply to 98/ME etc.

(DISCLAIMER: I take no responsibility for anything that goes wrong with anything by using this tutorial! Period. Use this tutorial at your own risk)  :)

Requirements:
1) X2lite Chip
2) X2lite programmer
3) PC with DB-25 printer port
4) DB-25 parallel cable male to female (shorter is better), or using my simple “no cable” mod. (See Fig.D)
5) Knowing how to create directories, unzip files and copy files – basic stuff
6) A 1MB BIOS called “bios.bin” that you wish to flash the X2lite with. (I do not cover how to create the BIOS)
7) 9v 500mA DC power supply, or 9v alkaline battery, or open USB port on your PC
8) Software for the X2lite programmer (x2cable.zip). Get it here. or here

The first step is to make the connections of the various components as follows:

1)   Connect the ground wire (Fig.A step 1) from the programmer to the X2lite chip. It has a little plastic connector and should fit into the slot on the X2lite chip. Do not force it, as it has a grooved connector that should fit only one way.

2) Connect the X2lite to the programmer (Fig.A step 2 and Fig.B ). There is a female socket on the X2lite, and a male header pin on the programmer. Flip the X2lite upside down and gently push the X2lite onto the header. Be careful not to yank the ground wire off of the programmer.

3) Remove the flash protection jumper (Fig.A step 3 and Fig.B )

4) Connect the parallel cable to the programmer (Fig.A step 4 ), or do the “no cable” mod (Fig.D ) and connect to the parallel port on your PC. (Note: if you are doing the “no-cable” mod and are using a 9v battery, you may want to insert it now because it will be more difficult to insert the battery when the programmer is attached to the PC)

Fig.A
(IMG:http://webpages.charter.net/aragon/images/figa.jpg) Picture of the parallel cable

Fig.B
(IMG:http://webpages.charter.net/aragon/images/figb.jpg) Picture of the 9v power adapter

5) Set the power switch according to the power source you are using. (Fig.C) If don't have a 9v power adapter, then just use a 9v battery by placing it in the battery cradle on the programmer. You can also use the supplied USB connection to plug into an open USB port on your PC. Just make sure to set the power switch according to your power source (Fig.C)

Fig.C
(IMG:http://webpages.charter.net/aragon/images/figc.jpg)

The “no cable” Mod
If you don’t have a parallel cable, you can connect the programmer directly to your PC’s parallel port by slightly modifying the connector plate that is screwed on to the X2lite programmer. The port on my computer had connector standoffs, and the programmer also has them, thus not allowing me to connect it directly to the PC’s parallel port.

a) Use some needle nose pliers to remove (un-skrew) the two standoffs on the X2lite programmer connector plate. (Fig.D)
b ) Remove the connector plate. (Fig.D)
c) Apply two small dabs of superglue to two inside corners of the connector plate. (Fig.D) (Test the fitting BEFORE you apply the    superglue so that you can get a feel for seating it correctly back in place)
d) Seat the connector plate back on the face and let set for a minute.
e) Done!

Fig.D
(IMG:http://webpages.charter.net/aragon/images/figd.jpg)

6) Connect the other end of the parallel cable to your PC. (Fig.E step 5)

Fig.E
(IMG:http://webpages.charter.net/aragon/images/fige.jpg)

7) Connect the power to the programmer. (Fig.F step 7)

Fig.F
(IMG:http://webpages.charter.net/aragon/images/figf.jpg)

Connections finished.

The next steps are to set up the x2cable software and program your X2lite.
1) Create a directory on your C:\ drive called “x2”
2) Unzip/extract the x2cable.zip to the folder you created in the previous step
3) Copy your “bios.bin” file into the “x2” folder that also contains the extracted files from the previous step
4) Now open a DOS command prompt by selecting: Start>Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt (See Fig.G)

Fig.G
(IMG:http://webpages.charter.net/aragon/images/figg.jpg)

5) In the command prompt you just opened, type:
cd C:\x2 (See Fig.H)

Fig.H
(IMG:http://webpages.charter.net/aragon/images/figh.jpg)
Then type: dir and it will list all the files. (This should match Fig.H)

6) Now test the programmer by reading the BIOS first before writing (Fig.J). (if your X2lite came pre-flashed with Cromwell 1.8) Type the following:
x2cable r crom19.bin
(This will take approx. a minute and a half to complete)

Fig.J
(IMG:http://webpages.charter.net/aragon/images/figj.jpg)
If you are getting SYNC=variable here, then there is a power or connection problem, or the parallel cable is too long.

7) Now it is time to flash the new BIOS onto the X2lite (Fig.I). Type the following:
x2cable w bios.bin

(It will then erase and begin writing the BIOS to your X2lite. This process will take approx. eleven minutes, and will then verify the write for another minute and a half.)

Fig.I
(IMG:http://webpages.charter.net/aragon/images/figi.jpg)

8) Done!

~Lerxst
EDIT: I have more pictures, but I'm at the limit.
EDIT: Picture sizes smaller, typos

This post has been edited by Lerxst: Jun 9 2003, 04:55 PM

spIdeZ

• Archived User
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2003, 01:14:00 PM »

Nice, very detailed  cool.gif Have you submitted it to be a tutorial?

Lerxst

• Archived User
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2003, 04:59:00 PM »

QUOTE (spIdeZ @ Jun 8 2003, 04:07 PM)
Nice, very detailed  cool.gif Have you submitted it to be a tutorial?

Thanks. I will submit it, but some of the pictures are over the 400 pixel limit, so they my not accept it even though those pics are smaller than the rest. If I resize the command prompt pic's, they become unreadable. (at least for my old eyes).

~Lerxst

Lerxst

• Archived User
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2003, 09:10:00 AM »

*bump*

Someone may need this.

~Lerxst

loquillo

• Archived User
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2003, 05:59:00 PM »

biggrin.gif  laugh.gif Hey man your the beeesstttt!!!!! this tutorial work best  than any other that I read or see!!!!!  oh and another thing I do the  tutorial with windows 98 SE and works perfect ok!!!!  and another thing than youuuuuuuuuuuu very muchhhhhhh!!!!!  This programer rocks!!!!!!

loquillo

• Archived User
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2003, 06:01:00 PM »

Thanx for the email man youre the best!!!!!!!

this tut it works!!!!!!!!!!  

Lerxst

• Archived User
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2003, 06:13:00 PM »

QUOTE (loquillo @ Jun 9 2003, 08:52 PM)
biggrin.gif  laugh.gif Hey man your the beeesstttt!!!!! this tutorial work best  than any other that I read or see!!!!!  oh and another thing I do the  tutorial with windows 98 SE and works perfect ok!!!!  and another thing than youuuuuuuuuuuu very muchhhhhhh!!!!!  This programer rocks!!!!!!

Hey thanks! - I'm glad this has helped, and I appreciate the kudos.

If there is anyone else who would like to provide some feedback on this, it would be much welcomed. I want to submit this tutorial, but I would like to get more eyes to look at it first.

Thanks,
~Lerxst

Foolio

• Archived User
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2003, 11:33:00 PM »

Very nice job, Lerxst! I've tried to help one or two people in the forum here with their programmer but I didn't have time to go into as much detail as you have here. As far as I have seen, this is the best set of instructions out there for using the programmer. Excellent work!

Dunny

• Archived User
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2003, 04:00:00 AM »

You may want to add this to your instructions.

If you keep getting Sync 7 Errors when flashing, use X2PRO instead ... I tried X2cable on 3 Machines today and it wouldnt work on any!  Tried X2PRO, flashed a 256k Bios to 1 and it worked .... at last!  blink.gif
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14