xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Divx On 360  (Read 3175 times)

scooby_dooby

• Archived User
Divx On 360
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2005, 10:37:00 PM »

winamp playlists are your friend.

knasterhuis

• Archived User
Divx On 360
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2005, 04:50:00 AM »

this works fine
you can set the bitrate for video to dvd quality
so the picture is almost as good as the original
its a start till someone cracks the media extender so it can read divx normal way

biggrin.gif

tuhnu

• Archived User
Divx On 360
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2005, 12:25:00 PM »

XBox360 media playing capability is a joke. You can't stream media from OS of your choice, not even from normal XP but only from expensive XP Media Center Edition. Frontend in XBox360 is clumsy and very slow to use and it doesn't even play most of my videos. I'm so dissapointed.

I'm sticking to my modded Xbox and XBMC

babanoosh

• Archived User
Divx On 360
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2005, 04:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(tuhnu @ Dec 18 2005, 01:25 PM) View Post

XBox360 media playing capability is a joke. You can't stream media from OS of your choice, not even from normal XP but only from expensive XP Media Center Edition. Frontend in XBox360 is clumsy and very slow to use and it doesn't even play most of my videos. I'm so dissapointed.

I'm sticking to my modded Xbox and XBMC

Yes, it doesn't impress me either. Kind of self defeating really, to play an avi on the "media extender" dash, since the quality isn't going to be better then xbmc and you have to jump through hoops, withiin a poor UI, to get a degraded quality no less. It won't be replacing the 360 until it's cracked, and xbmc (or successor) is put onto the 360, fow show!

sunnyd71

• Archived User
Divx On 360
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2005, 08:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(babanoosh @ Dec 19 2005, 12:39 AM) View Post

Yes, it doesn't impress me either. Kind of self defeating really, to play an avi on the "media extender" dash, since the quality isn't going to be better then xbmc and you have to jump through hoops, withiin a poor UI, to get a degraded quality no less. It won't be replacing the 360 until it's cracked, and xbmc (or successor) is put onto the 360, fow show!

I actually like the media features. The media center features extra things thrown in for people who have it, it's not the reason most people would buy a 360. I built my MC computer by just installing it and adding a tuner and am very happy with it.

DIVX/XVID playback would be great but anyone who would expect MS to put it in is kidding themselves. Not many reputable companies add divx support to any of their players. I've never seen a sony DVD player with DIVX but I could be wrong. More codecs will probably be added as the 360 is a work in progress but I don't expect DIVX untill the system is open for hacking.

I'm still content with it but we'll see when sony starts announcing dropped hardware/delays/pricing whether or not if it's worth it to sell the 360 and buy a PS3.

babanoosh

• Archived User
Divx On 360
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2005, 08:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(sunnyd71 @ Dec 19 2005, 09:11 AM) *

Not many reputable companies add divx support to any of their players. I've never seen a sony DVD player with DIVX but I could be wrong.

I was with you until there. That's an oxymoron you know...

More to the point; lg, philips, rca (thomson), toshiba, and pioneer aren't reputable companies I take it?

This post has been edited by babanoosh: Dec 19 2005, 04:39 PM

MrSpoons

• Archived User
Divx On 360
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2005, 01:52:00 PM »

this works fine
you can set the bitrate for video to dvd quality
so the picture is almost as good as the original
its a start till someone cracks the media extender so it can read divx normal way

any chance of a step by step guide on how to get this going?
my german isnt as good as it should be  biggrin.gif

sunnyd71

• Archived User
Divx On 360
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2005, 03:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(sealava @ Dec 19 2005, 11:08 PM) View Post

I don't know a bout the USA market but in Asia and Europe almost EVERY new DVD player or multimedia system supports DIVX/XVID playback...
ohh and BTW MS Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 supports common video types including standard avi, .mpg, and .wmv files.
http://www.MS.com/wi...n/features.mspx
good evening...

I agree with you that I am wrong. The last time I looked at my local futureshop for a dvd player only the no name brands had divx support. But that must of been a combination of being in Canada, and being about 6 months ago. Sorry for the misinformation.
BUT media center does NOT play DIVX/XVID out of the box. Since it is a computer it allows you to install the codecs you choose.

violent_bong

• Archived User
Divx On 360
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2005, 03:46:00 PM »

QUOTE(sunnyd71 @ Dec 19 2005, 11:25 PM) View Post

I agree with you that I am wrong. The last time I looked at my local futureshop for a dvd player only the no name brands had divx support. But that must of been a combination of being in Canada, and being about 6 months ago. Sorry for the misinformation.
BUT media center does NOT play DIVX/XVID out of the box. Since it is a computer it allows you to install the codecs you choose.

I bought a yamaha dvd player to go with my home theatre about a year ago, and it supports divx playback...and I am also in Canada lol, but yeah a step by step tutorial on how to playback divx/xvid files would sure be nice, I don't speak a word of German wink.gif

simbot82

• Archived User
Divx On 360
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2005, 04:21:00 PM »

Playing Divx on media center –

Download Windows Media Encoder 9 from here and then Install.

Put your divx video in “My Videos” and then open up notepad, in the document write - mms://*INSERT PC IP ADDRESS*:8080 and then save your notepad file as *name of video*.asx

screen shot of what your notepad document should look like. (note ip address replaced with X's)

**for example if your video is called perfectdarktrailer.avi the notepad file would be saved as perfectdarktrailer.asx**

save the file to the directory of the video your wanting to watch.

Open up Windows Media Encoder

In the wizard dialogue popup box click “Custom Session”

In the sources tab change “Source From” to File and then browse and open up the video you want.

Use the other tabs to change the quality of the output. In this case we have set it as “DVD quality video”

When you’re happy with your settings click “apply” and then start encoding.

Open up media center on your 360 and locate the .asx file and play it, you should now be able to watch it on your xbox 360 J

Original Discussion here

Someone confirm cause I cant i am aussie

babanoosh

• Archived User
Divx On 360
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2005, 08:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(jizmo @ Dec 21 2005, 07:33 AM) View Post

It's all a big joke, yes. dry.gif

MS's claim for not supporting Divx just doesn't hold any water. DVDs are used atleast to same extend to copy movies, and the same goes for every kind of media format out there. Yes, believe it not - even WMV.

The idea of media serving from PC to Xbox sucks hairy giant balls anyway. Having to have two highly power-hungry machines running and encoding and decoding stuff just to watch one movie makes me so angry, I'd like to find the engineer who thought of it and kick him in the face. I mean, what a waste of resources.

I'm with these guys - till MPEG4 files can be played from a self-burned DVDs, CDs, USB HDDs or transferred to x360's HDD, I won't bother spending all that time, electricity and money. $400 for the x360, $1200 to Media Center PC and $100 for the MCE and you still can't do things you'd want to do with the whole set. Sounds like humbug to me.

Pass me that $100 second hand Xbox and XBMC any day.

I couldn't agree more smile.gif I'm already lining up my 2nd xbox purchase. I've been running a 1.0 since launch (way back when) but I'm getting concerned I'm playing on borrowed time now. I'd do the 2nd hand thing but I wouldn't want to take the chance on longevity.  I just hold xbmc so dearly. MS will never come close because its far outside their "business model"... nothing touches it. I think I'll grab the 1.6b when they come down to $99.99 (unless my box craps out sooner) and maybe get a spider chip smile.gif

digitec

• Archived User
Divx On 360
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2005, 11:36:00 AM »

I am never letting my original xbox go, all I need to do is set it up so that it loads up to Media Center and not Evox. And maybe get a larger harddrive.

fandabidozi

• Archived User
Divx On 360
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2005, 05:45:00 PM »

I think its shit not having DivX and XviD support but lets be realistic not all DVD players have it yet in europe. Poeple still persist to buy Sony shite and i havnt seen a sony one yet that supports AVI...

Anywho.. the battle for HD rages on in Europe as unlinke in the US we take our time and think about it before just releasing it... beetamax anyone!!??.....

but the reason is MS has WMV.. divx and xvid are AVI (free tech) so there hoping and trying to get all pc media to WMV-HD which it obviously wont cos its shit and too big... so im keeping my old xbox for this only..

also i noticed for some reason maybe cos its a media center pc its connected to but the fookin 360 brings up the thumbnail images of the avi's (the first frame)...

is that cos its getting it off the pc or cos its got the codec for divx hidden and juts wont use it???

comradpoplin

• Archived User
Divx On 360
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2006, 03:54:00 AM »

its only a matter of time in my opinion till 360 has the full support of divx and avi formats be it through a modchip or some hacked content we just have to hold on

olay

• Archived User
Divx On 360
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2006, 06:27:00 AM »

This might have been posted, I didn't feel like reading the whole thread...

For Divx/Xvid support on your 360, simply go to http://www.runtime360.com/

All you have to do is select your divx-file in media center on your 360 and press X, then choose more and "transcode" in about 5 seconds your divx will start.

I'm surprised so few people know about Transcode 360, it's really great wink.gif.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4