xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: EEPROM on Xbox 360 and xexdump utility  (Read 4516 times)

Aceraider4

• Archived User
EEPROM on Xbox 360 and xexdump utility
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2005, 08:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(azninvasion @ Dec 6 2005, 04:03 AM) View Post

Its almost certainly not a decoy. It could be just an appendage from development days. Or a patch to the cpu. In any case, it seems that the xbox is not generating error codes like its supposed to, so certainly it handles something. As you can run the 360 without the dvd and it will not display an error code.

My guess is that it somehow limits the 360 cpu operation so it doesn't overheat. So one day you'll get your proof its not a decoy when that chip you removed caused your xbox to melt lol.

id be very interested in how the eeprom controlled thee cpu operation; i know how it works when locating bad sectors on a hard drive, but im not sure how that would apply to a processor, but then again, im rather ignorant of cpu theory

ppazz13

• Archived User
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2005, 08:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(Aceraider4 @ Dec 5 2005, 09:47 PM) View Post

i still think they could justify the expenditure: i think it would be safe to assume that only about 50% of the units got the decoy thats $5000, throw in a conservative estimate for shipping, installation, etc. and i think it would still bring it to at most $20,000.  now, assuming that the analyst estimate of a $160 loss on each launch unit, that would mean ms spent between $460,000,000 and $560,000,000 on production, that equates to about 0.000043% of the budget was spent.  i say its decoy until someone can prove me wrong

Good argument back.  It just seems too easy though to me.  I guess we'll see soon enough.

Staticvoid

• Archived User
« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2005, 12:36:00 AM »

we need some xbox360 owners to take a peek inside and tell us if only the cores have the chip. i still think its something to do with the hdd,(what other differences are there between core and premium) untill we see a premium with one.

sm0kie

• Archived User
« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2005, 12:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(Aceraider4 @ Dec 6 2005, 02:28 AM) View Post

not nearly enough memory on the chip; the chip itself could store a small text document, the dashboard is multiple mbytes in size

I meant like a boot.ini file in windows, its only 243bytes with 2 OS's. Maybe the chip stores a simular file at upgrade telling the 360 to boot update.xbe (or whatever its called) instead of dashboard.xbe (or whatever...)
This would be stored on the HDD on a premium version. Someone needs to take there HDD out and run untill MS tries to update, they may be asked to insert HDD to continue. A core version owner wouldn't be asked becuase the chip is pressent.

instabin

• Archived User
« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2005, 12:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(sm0kie @ Dec 6 2005, 08:15 PM) View Post

I meant like a boot.ini file in windows, its only 243bytes with 2 OS's. Maybe the chip stores a simular file at upgrade telling the 360 to boot update.xbe (or whatever its called) instead of dashboard.xbe (or whatever...)
This would be stored on the HDD on a premium version. Someone needs to take there HDD out and run untill MS tries to update, they may be asked to insert HDD to continue. A core version owner wouldn't be asked becuase the chip is pressent.

One thing wrong with that idea. You need at least a memory card to connect to the live serveice with the core xbox.

sentinel0

• Archived User
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2005, 12:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(mad_pc_man @ Dec 5 2005, 08:35 PM) View Post

Yo!
(some ideas follow, no particular order)
1. Has anyone tried using an xbox modchip in a 360, all types of chips, (xecuter spidergx etc...)
2. Has anyone got an output of the eeprom.
3. Can you use an exe from MCE to do some stuff.
4. Can you wipe the hdd/eeprom/tsop clean and see what happens.
5. Might be a bit n00bish but what exactly does a hypervisor do, (in simple layman's terms)
cheers
mad_pc_man

you could have gotten most of those answers from www.free60.org

maximilian0017

• Archived User
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2005, 01:54:00 AM »

QUOTE(maximilian0017 @ Dec 5 2005, 07:29 PM) View Post

This would also explain why some consoles have this serial eprom and others don't, Old versions of the CPU could be patched this way and newer versions of the processors wouldn't need the patch because it is integrated in the new microcode.

Confirmed

cheztir

• Archived User
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2005, 08:59:00 PM »

Having a patch chip is logical for MS. A .01ยข chip is better than rolling out a whole now line of CPU's.

However, i am curious. Perhaps one of the small flash chips near the CPU (as referenced here) 2048bits and 4096bits has some bigger signifigance.

IPB Image
Has anyone checked the other flash chip (pictured above, 2048bit) near the chip? Is it there on all 360's?

Also,
"According to IBM the CPU has 'an interface for a serial EEPROM in case patch logic configuration was needed during bring-up'." - Free60

Could one of these two chips link to Hypervisor code or even the 360 TSOP lock code? Doubt it. But curious.
EDIT: Better thought to second queston, potentially a boot sequence?

celicagt1993

• Archived User
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2006, 01:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(Staticvoid @ Dec 6 2005, 08:43 AM) View Post

we need some xbox360 owners to take a peek inside and tell us if only the cores have the chip. i still think its something to do with the hdd,(what other differences are there between core and premium) untill we see a premium with one.

after reading this thread, i looked at my premium has the chip....  i don't think it has anything to do with HDD or not to HDD...  sounds like a cpu patch....  considering there are two different companies making the 360...  

if anyone wants any other info off my system to help with this, let me know

one more thing to think about with this chip, since we know that the system will work fine without it, has anyone tried using the media center extender part of the 360 without it?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]