Xbox360 Forums > General Technical Hacking Discussion

EEPROM on Xbox 360 and xexdump utility

(1/17) > >>

XanTium:
EEPROM on Xbox 360 and xexdump utility-- Posted by XanTium on December 2 03:20 EST
XboxHacker/Free60 pointed out there's a Atmel EEPROM on the Xbox 360 near the CPU:

There is also a small flash chip near the CPU, as seen in these pictures:
* 1stgame article (probably a developer unit)
* informit.com article
* independent photo
* Anandtech article

As discussed in this article (by oz_paulb) on the xboxhacker.net forums, this appears to be a Atmel 25020 EEPROM. The chip from the 1stgame article reads:
ATMEL524
25020AN
SU18
Datasheet can be found here[atmel.com]

--- End quote ---

XboxHacker.net also posted an xexdumper utility (for linux) that was released by oskie on IRC. You can download it here.

seedyrom2003:
So with this said, The eeprom has been dumped? Now we wait for someone to hack the crap out of it or am I just having high hopes?

Cthulhu32:
Give me some time tomorrow after I finish my web dev class and I can convert Xexdump from PERL to C/C++ (depending on if I need any C++ calls) unless someone else beats me to it.

oz_paulb:
QUOTE(seedyrom2003 @ Dec 2 2005, 11:05 AM)
So with this said, The eeprom has been dumped? Now we wait for someone to hack the crap out of it or am I just having high hopes?

I'm still trying to get my hands on a 360.  Once I get one, the first thing I'll do is remove both the EEPROM and the NAND flash (TSOP) and dump their contents.

The original Xbox had an EEPROM for per-Xbox settings (serial number, PAL/NTSC, etc).  I imagine the 360 EEPROM serves a similar purpose.  (Although they could have used the NAND for this type of storage)

- Paul

prestige:

Here's a win32 version of the app I rolled this morning.  Hope it helps:

http://www.chaosorder.org/xexdump.zip

-prestige

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version