xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Duox2 Lite Problems  (Read 1070 times)

Bacon_Boy

• Archived User
Duox2 Lite Problems
« on: March 25, 2006, 07:38:00 AM »

I installed at DuoX2 Lite chip in my xbox (probably v1,2 or v1,3). My xbox boots fine with the eject button, then it boots up to normal bios. But when i press the normal ON/OFF button, i starts up with the EvoX in the corner of the screen, and then it freezes in the middle of the startup. Other times it may start up with a black screen, but I can still hear the hard drive booting up.

Sometimes I can make it boot up if I press the eject button during boot-progress, then it MAY start ut with the chip activated if I am lucky. But this does not always work. When I get to boot up the xbox with the chip activated I can use it as normal, so I installed slayer and transferred some programs with FTP from my computer, but when I need to restart the XBOX i get the same problems. Either I get a black screen (with sound) or the boot up logo freezes. Can someone please tell me what's wrong with this annoying xbox?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Chancer

• Archived User
Duox2 Lite Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 01:02:00 PM »

This most commonly down to high resistance connections on the LPC caused by dry soldered joints. Re-flow the soldering using a good high powered soldering iron.

Bacon_Boy

• Archived User
Duox2 Lite Problems
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 04:41:00 AM »

Thanks, I have already re-soldered the LPC-points many times, but I will give it a try again. If anyone has any other tips please post it here since I really want this xbox to work as normal.

Bacon_Boy

• Archived User
Duox2 Lite Problems
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 07:44:00 AM »

Re-soldered all of the points one more time, and ohmed them to the right limits, except pin #1 which has about 10M ohms more than it should have. I dont understand why, since I have measured all of the traces to pin #1 and none are broken or damaged. The solder used on pin #1 is the same solder which was used on the other pins, so why is it so much more resistant on it? Should I try to remove the solder on pin #1 and replace it with a new one?

Julius Pleaser

• Archived User
Duox2 Lite Problems
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 07:52:00 AM »

You just answered your own question.   If you are getting 10ohm through the solder on pin 1 then who cares why it is happening, regardless you need to fix it, and to do that you would desolder and resolder fresh.

Chancer

• Archived User
Duox2 Lite Problems
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 08:16:00 AM »

If it measures 10M ohm thats 10 Meg. The connection is open circuit virtually so despite what the soldering looks like its not working.
Post some pictures of the work, it may help someone to spot something you missed

Bacon_Boy

• Archived User
Duox2 Lite Problems
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 03:21:00 PM »

It isnt 10 M ohms in the soldering, so I dont know why I have 10 extra Mega ohms on pin #1. Measured all of the traces around pin #1, and it is something on the xbox or something on the chip which creates the extra 10 mega ohms. The soldering is fine. What could it else be? I will try to take som pictures tomorrow of the soldering.

The xbox will boot up sometimes if i press the eject button during startup with chip activated. I made this happen serveral times. Does this mean that the chip is fine then?

Julius Pleaser

• Archived User
Duox2 Lite Problems
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 05:13:00 PM »

Why do Noobs try to claim it is not something they did?  Stop trying to disagree with us.  It is either your soldering, or you damaged something while soldering.

Chancer

• Archived User
Duox2 Lite Problems
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 01:06:00 AM »

It isnt 10 M ohms in the soldering, so I dont know why I have 10 extra Mega ohms on pin #1. Measured all of the traces around pin #1, and it is something on the xbox or something on the chip which creates the extra 10 mega ohms. The soldering is fine. What could it else be? I will try to take som pictures tomorrow of the soldering.

If you measure correctly between 2 points that are joined via a trace and a straight soldered connection there can be nothing else causing a resistance of 10Meg other than the connection that joins the 2 pieces.
Its the same as measuring between the ends of a single piece of wire.
How exactly are you measuring this?