xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Verbatim Still The Best?  (Read 1352 times)

j_wijker

• Archived User
Verbatim Still The Best?
« on: March 15, 2008, 05:45:00 PM »

I am about to buy new Dl disks and I can choose between Verbatim and some other brands which are a lot cheaper. For example, a cakebox of Verbatim disks is 23.35 euro, a brandless cakebox costs 10.35 and a Philips cakebox costs 14.55. I know that Verbatim used to be the best brand if you want to avoid making unusable disks. Is this still the case and is it worth it to pay at least twice as much?

Thanx in advance

J_wijker

Commex

• Archived User
Verbatim Still The Best?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 05:55:00 PM »

Yes, make sure they are made in singapore Verbatims though. All other brands have horrible failure rates.

kurrrrt

• Archived User
Verbatim Still The Best?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 08:51:00 PM »

Ive started off using Verbatims which are the best no question but they are so expensive. I bought Aone dual layers and there pretty dam good for £3-4 i can tell slightly that there not as good as verbatims. My 360 dvd drive (Samsung MS25) gave me read errors with Ritec media. I havent had one coaster or read error with both Verbatim and Aone. Im sticking with Aone now though alot and i mean alot cheaper than Verbatims.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/125847

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Verbatim Still The Best?
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 01:07:00 AM »

As mentioned above MIS Verbatims are the best way to go.  Have a look at the first link in my sig for more info.

ibiza911

• Archived User
Verbatim Still The Best?
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 01:02:00 AM »

I would also like to add I use Fujifilm DL +R  2.4x and haven't came across a coaster yet and have backed up 13 games with no problems.

fuckdead

• Archived User
Verbatim Still The Best?
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 07:23:00 AM »

Hi ppl. I am curious about the Aone dual layers. I use Verbatim, but i saw these Aone, and they are much more cheaper  than verbatim. The quality difference is large ?
Will these dvds decrease the live-time of my samsung drive ?

Apologize for my english.

This post has been edited by fuckdead: Mar 27 2008, 02:24 PM

Scan-C

• Archived User
Verbatim Still The Best?
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »

They will definately shorten the life of your laser. If someone could post the media code of this aone discs we could say more about the quality.
I used ricohjpnd01 for some backups and it was annoying as hell. The drive was seeking like crazy and the game did lock up after some minutes. Burned it on verbatim and played through without one lockup. I couldn't care less about the laser but playing the same part over and over again makes me use verbatim or even better  taiyo yuden (hard to come by as dl media).

crazyshiza

• Archived User
Verbatim Still The Best?
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 11:20:00 AM »

QUOTE(ibiza911 @ Mar 27 2008, 08:02 AM) *

I would also like to add I use Fujifilm DL +R  2.4x and haven't came across a coaster yet and have backed up 13 games with no problems.

I used to use Fujifilms then I noticed I was getting read errors at random places in games, now I only use Verbatims and no problems.

fuckdead

• Archived User
Verbatim Still The Best?
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 12:07:00 PM »

ok .... thanks .. i will continue buying the verbatim discs although they are too expensive...

swampy1111

• Archived User
Verbatim Still The Best?
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 12:26:00 PM »

ive used the aone printables for over 12 months now and ive never had a coaster and my laser is still fine so i not sure of them shotening the life of the laser and at £44 per 100 discs compared to £185 for verbs i wouldnt mind spending £10 on a new laser
can't remember the last time i had a aone fail
i did buy some non printables once and had problems with those so it must be a different dye on those, i think verbs are a good disc and they gained a good reputation from the ps1 days (well deserved then)

fuckdead

• Archived User
Verbatim Still The Best?
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 03:12:00 PM »

whats your drive ?

I Bac0n I

• Archived User
Verbatim Still The Best?
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 01:25:00 AM »

Get the verbatims off ebay, they are as little as $1.50 a disc which isnt too expensive imo.  Lets say you have a backup on memorex media and it fails after a month.  So you burn another to memorex media, already you have passed the price of 1 verbatim and the verbatim will last alot longer.  I have a GoW backup from Feburary of 2007 and its still plays fine today.(if its properly taken care of)

SigmaXIX

• Archived User
Verbatim Still The Best?
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 09:08:00 AM »

Ya, when you're getting failures writing to Fujifilm, etc, what drive are you using?  Those Pioneer DVR-112D are near-flawless.

I use all Verbtaim Made in Singapore only.  BUT, because of recent supply constraints, I'm thinking about TDK DL.  Anybody hear about TDK DL?