xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Comparison Between Pioneer 109 And 112  (Read 935 times)

Rimbaldo

• Archived User
Comparison Between Pioneer 109 And 112
« on: March 17, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »

I´ve just bought my 360, hacked it´s hitachi 0078k with Maximus 360 FW tool and it worked flawlessly..
As I bought it, I also ordered a Pioneer DVR-112 because I was afraid my DVR-109 wouldn´t be so good and I needed also another DVD-Recorder at my home´s computer...

Both drives are flashed to it´s latest firmwares...

As my Verbatims DVR +R DL didn´t arrive yet... I bought the only other media I could find in my city, which happens to be Ridata (Ritek G01). I´ve read in the forums that the pioneers work best with top media, but I didn´t have a choice so far...

Look at the strange results!

I burned a Ridata in my Pioneer 109 with CloneCD 5.3.0.1 and chose 1x speed (It was my fisrt burn ever in a DVD+R DL).

The game runs perfectly well, no delays, no out-of-sync sound, movies. Just perfect.

Then came my DVR-112 (updated to the latest firmware) , and I burned another game at the same 1x speed with the same CloneCD. The DVD showed a more clear halo close to the center, and didn´t run at all.

I then changed burners, and burned again, this time on the 109, the same game with the same CloneCD at the same 1x speed and... the game worked perfectly!!!

So... as I read in the forums If I buy Verbatim media it would be corrected? Why is my 109 less picky about cheap media than the 112? Should I expect this Ridata DVD´s which are working flawlessly (at least apparently) to get worse with time? Because of it´s quality?

But the weird thing is... at least in these Ridatas DVDs... my 109 works much better than my 112...

How come?

poots

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 01:51:00 PM »

Try using an older firmware on the 112..

I have one, never updated the firmware are it never spins out duds.

I use ''fortis' branded discs and they always work.

peace

poots.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 12:35:00 PM »

There are so many variables with cheap quality media that these results are not in the least bit surprising.  Also Ritek's quality control on their discs leave something to be desired and I would be doing some error rate scans on these before you decide to just use them instead of Verbatim.  Just because you end up with a working disc doesn't necessarily mean it's a good burn.

Rimbaldo

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 06:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ Mar 18 2007, 07:35 PM) *

There are so many variables with cheap quality media that these results are not in the least bit surprising.  Also Ritek's quality control on their discs leave something to be desired and I would be doing some error rate scans on these before you decide to just use them instead of Verbatim.  Just because you end up with a working disc doesn't necessarily mean it's a good burn.

Yes.. I agree.... as I said before,  I ordered Verbatins (which still haven't arrived yet...) and I'll use them. I just thought it was strange an older burner burning better than a newer model using the same settings and media .... in this case a cheap one... How can I do to check this error scan? Can I use Nero to check it out? Do I have to compare the recorded DVD with the original ISO?

Thanks

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 11:55:00 PM »

You will need a Lite-On, Plextor or Benq burner to do the scan.  Yes you can use Nero CD/DVD Speed for the quality test (provided you have one of the aforementioned burners) and no you don't have to compare it with the original disc.