xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Paid Dashboard Upgrades  (Read 1188 times)

Griffen37

• Archived User
Paid Dashboard Upgrades
« on: April 28, 2005, 04:01:00 PM »

In an interview, xbox chief stated, "Sure there will be a next generation at some point, but you will also see innovation happen along the way more and more frequently because [of] software ... without requiring shifts on the hardware side."  Could MS be readying consumers for dashboard upgrades similar to OS upgrades -- requiring payment?  This is pure speculation, but clearly gamers are willing to spend money on the latest and greatest, so I wouldn't count it out.  Say it ain't so, though.  See the article I got the quote from here. <

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Paid Dashboard Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 04:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(Griffen37 @ Apr 28 2005, 03:56 PM)
In an interview, xbox chief stated, "Sure there will be a next generation at some point, but you will also see innovation happen along the way more and more frequently because [of] software ... without requiring shifts on the hardware side."  Could MS be readying consumers for dashboard upgrades similar to OS upgrades -- requiring payment?  This is pure speculation, but clearly gamers are willing to spend money on the latest and greatest, so I wouldn't count it out.  Say it ain't so, though.  See the article I got the quote from here.

I doubt it... I'm pretty sure no one had to pay for XP's SP2   :rolleyes:

considering how most people consider the dash updates to be annoying... <

Griffen37

• Archived User
Paid Dashboard Upgrades
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 03:29:00 PM »

True, no one paid for SP2, but you paid from DOS -> 3.1 -> 3.11 -> 95 -> 98 -> 98SE -> ME -> 2000 -> XP.  And I know that as cool as I found some of those updates to be, but also found much of it annoying (especially everything between 98 and XP).

Anyway, I agree it isn't probable, but I seriously hope it isn't even being contemplated.

<

Slamm36

• Archived User
Paid Dashboard Upgrades
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 09:38:00 PM »

if it comes to thast and there would be a great improvment from one "os" to the next then i would be willing to pay no more than the price of the games <

JimmyDeushku

• Archived User
Paid Dashboard Upgrades
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 09:52:00 AM »

I liked the dashboard updates lol or should I say I like the surprise of what will be on the update. XBOX live 3.0 Tsunami sucked ass had like 2 of the 30 listed new features. The could possibly release a new OS for it after it's been out for a while, but if they charge for it then people would just pirate it like they pirate Windows XP Professional Edition!  :D <

P3ST4

• Archived User
Paid Dashboard Upgrades
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 11:03:00 AM »

look at the current xbox live...when they upgraded from 2.0 to 3.0, it was a free upgrade...i dont think they will charge you

<

Ickypoopy

• Archived User
Paid Dashboard Upgrades
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 12:01:00 PM »

If they have an "paid upgrades" its going to be to add optional functionality.  Like, lets say the new Xbox doesnt support progressive scan DVDs, (like the current one) so they could have an optional paid upgrade to buy progressive scan for DVDs.

They wont charge you for routine (and likely mandatory) updates to the dashboard.

This post has been edited by Ickypoopy: May 3 2005, 07:02 PM <

deftonesmx17

• Archived User
Paid Dashboard Upgrades
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 01:47:00 PM »

I could see them doing that as they already charge for online game service. <

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Paid Dashboard Upgrades
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2005, 02:25:00 PM »

On a scale of 1 to 10, if you had to pay for a dash update that didn't do much more than increase security against modchips. I'd say the chance of people paying would be about a NOT FUCKING LIKELY.  :lol:

Seriously I doubt they would charge for dash updates for the simple reason that they can't MAKE you update AND pay for them at the same time. So if they were going to require payment for dash updates they would also have to allow people to use older versions of the dash when connecting to live, which means they can't fix security holes...

Dash updates and a new edition of the dash are 2 completely different things... people don't realize that we WILL BE paying for a new edition of the XBL dash... it's called the XBOX306  :lol:

Just like Windows you pay for the new editions (98 to 2000... 2000 to XP) but not for the "updates" and "patches" (SP1 to SP2). Your Xbox comes pre-loaded with a particular edition of XBL Dash, and when you buy the new console the cost of upgrading to the latest edition is built in.

If anything they'd charge for other software that can run from the dash... but I highly doubt they'd make, or even want different editions of the XBL dash for the Xbox360.

This post has been edited by twistedsymphony: May 3 2005, 09:30 PM <

deftonesmx17

• Archived User
Paid Dashboard Upgrades
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2005, 02:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ May 3 2005, 02:20 PM)
Seriously I doubt they would charge for dash updates for the simple reason that they can't MAKE you update AND pay for them at the same time. So if they were going to require payment for dash updates they would also have to allow people to use older versions of the dash when connecting to live, which means they can't fix security holes...

Well they could do that, if you dont update then you cant play. Simple as that. Didnt people have to update HALO 2? You need the newest version or you can't play. They could just tack it on your live service bill if you do the month to month. Like phone companies do with service charges and then there is the cellphone world which likes to tack on every extra they can and they get away with it because if you dont pay you dont get to use it anymore.

This post has been edited by deftonesmx17: May 3 2005, 09:58 PM <

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Paid Dashboard Upgrades
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2005, 03:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(deftonesmx17 @ May 3 2005, 02:50 PM)
Well they could do that, if you dont update then you cant play. Simple as that. Didnt people have to update HALO 2? You need the newest version or you can't play. They could just tack it on your live service bill if you do the month to month. Like phone companies do with service charges and then there is the cellphone world which likes to tack on every extra they can and they get away with it because if you dont pay you dont get to use it anymore.

Yes they very well could make you pay for the game... then make you pay for XBL service... then make you pay for a dash-update so that your game can actually use the XBL service...

The number of Xbox owners with XBL is relatively small... I believe a press release from MS shortly after the Halo 2 launch cited XBL user base growing about 5% making a total of about 17% of all US Xbox owners, even less in other countries... which is tiny if you think about it.

There are Strong rumors indicating that MS is considering making XBL a FREE SERVICE the next go around to help grow the number of XBL users. They're trying to grow their user base not turn people away with bogus charges.

Hell, even the over charging evil cell phone companies you talk about don't charge you for software updates. <

deftonesmx17

• Archived User
Paid Dashboard Upgrades
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2005, 09:50:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ May 3 2005, 03:07 PM)
There are Strong rumors indicating that MS is considering making XBL a FREE SERVICE the next go around to help grow the number of XBL users. They're trying to grow their user base not turn people away with bogus charges.

Hell, if they make it free then I will use it. I don't use it now, other than at a friends house because I dont want to pay for it. I can play any computer game online, besides MMORPG's, which I dont like anyways, for free. <

whet1134

• Archived User
Paid Dashboard Upgrades
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2005, 11:08:00 AM »

QUOTE(deftonesmx17 @ May 4 2005, 02:45 PM)
Hell, if they make it free then I will use it. I don't use it now, other than at a friends house because I dont want to pay for it. I can play any computer game online, besides MMORPG's, which I dont like anyways, for free.

Agreed totally.  I got banned from Live (modchip, not cheating), but I didn't think it was worth getting another account.  I just use XBC or Kai.  Now if Live's free, I'd love to play.  I'd even go for something like $2 a month to offset charges. <

deftonesmx17

• Archived User
Paid Dashboard Upgrades
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2005, 11:12:00 AM »

Yeah because without it being free everyone plays the same game and not all of us like HALO 2. <