xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Official Pool Sx Request Thread  (Read 1851 times)

SHiZNO

• Archived User
Official Pool Sx Request Thread
« on: April 01, 2005, 11:42:00 PM »

Well I dont know much about pool, except the standard 15 ball game so if anyone has any requests for any other game types post  it in here.

The more feedback I get the more powrful I can make the table builder so youll be able to add your own gametypes, but I cant think of anything other than say only being able to sink red balls in red pockets, blue balls in blue pockets type shit

UberJim

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 03:47:00 PM »

It would be good if there were lots of options at the start of a game.  Like have an option to call all of your shots or just the 8 ball.  Even some odd options like that you have to bank the 8 ball to win.  You could also allow for partners play with an option.

As for other game types, it would be good to have 9 ball, rectangle and octagon table bumper pool, and maybe some cut throat variations.

Trick shot challenge would be pretty cool to have too.  That could work as a progressively harder set of tables with set objectives.  For example, you could have something say "Sink these 4 balls in 4 different pockets in one shot".  You might be able to add something like Pool Golf.  Where it looks like a mini golf course including slopes and ramps but you use the same pool stick and controls to sink the ball.  Also it might be cool to have a darts mini game.

It would be nifty if you could have a campaign mode where you play different AI opponents at different places, when you beat each opponent you unlock the level that you beat them in.  Moving from a basement all the way to an ESPN championship like location.

The custom soundtrack support should work differently, have something like the black button move the camera to a locale specific music thingy.  A boombox in the basement level, a jukebox in the bar level etc.

This post has been edited by UberJim: Apr 6 2005, 10:50 PM

openwindow

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 02:21:00 PM »

Saw the request for game types on the homepage, and two come to mind:

9 ball: balls are racked in a diamond shape, with the 9 ball in the middle. After the break, the lowest numbered ball on the table must be hit first (ie -- if the 1, 3, 4, 5, 8, and 9 are on the table, the cue must hit the 1 ball before any other ball). If the lowest numbered ball isn't hit first, or if no balls are hit, it's a table scratch and the opposing player can put the ball anywhere on the table. Object of the game is to be the player to sink the 9 ball. You can play a combo shot off the lowest numbered ball, or clear all the other balls off the table.

Cut-throat: 3 Player game. Player 1 gets balls 1-5, Player 2 6-10 and player 3 11-15. Object of the game is to sink your opponents balls. Play alternates like regular 8-ball between all 3 players. If all your balls are sunk, you are eliminated from the game. Play ends when only one player's balls are on the table. The varient on this is if a player scratches, each of the other player gets to put one of their balls back on the table. (ie -- Player 1 scratches, the sunk 8 ball and 14 ball get to come back on the table).

That's usually what my friends and I will play. Hope that helps. Let me know if those don't make sense or you want me to test the logic in the game or something.

kl0wn

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 02:29:00 PM »

Cut throat for sure, son.

vicviper74

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 03:18:00 PM »

MAN THEASE GAME VARIANTS GOT ME HUNGRY TO PLAY
please make it perfect by putting link play in
THAT WOULD RULE ALL!!
NOTHING LIKE RULING a total stranger
2-4 link awsome

OOlesen80

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 03:18:00 PM »

I came accross your request by chance surfing the web.  I've played pool for about 10 years now and know several different variations of play.  I will list a couple of games that I don't see listed, and if you would like more, I will be more than happy to chat with you and explain them.  

First there is Straight pool or 14/1.  This game is racked like 8-ball for the first rack.  The player at the table can shoot any ball into any pocket.  Depending on how you are doing your programming, this should be a call pocket game.  When the player misses it is the opponents turn.  When the table is down to one ball the other fourteen balls are racked with the head ball missing.  The person continues shooting.  The game is played to a set amount of "points" (usually 150).  Balls made are considered 1 point each.  

Another game is One Pocket.  This game is also racked just like 8-ball.  In this game each player (Two Only) gets one of the corner pockets behind the rack (opposite of where you break from).  This pocket is the only pocket that player is allowed to make balls in.  If he makes a ball in the opponents pocket it counts for the opponent.  If he makes it in one of the remaining pockets it gets placed on the spot and is a loss of turn.  If the player scratches one of his balls are taken from him and placed on the spot.  When "spotting" a ball if there is already a ball on the spot the ball should be placed directly behind the spot as close to the spot as possible.  The first player to make (and keep) 8 balls....wins.

I could very easily go into greater detail on both of these games, but I doubt that you want me to, or that you would use the information anyways.  I can also explain many more games.  I know of games that up to 7 players can play, and I know all of the "universal" rules to just about all of the games.  I'm going to add this page to my fav. list and check back over the next couple of days.  Let me know if you want more info.

Pillzburydoofus

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 08:47:00 PM »

9 Ball, Cutthroat, Straight, and One Pocket Definately!!!!!  And finally.... FACEOFF!!!!   You can find the rules to this and many other game variants on wikipedia.

wisefire

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 09:32:00 PM »

hey,

i dont know much about pool.. but ill explain how i usually play pool..

10 balls get racked up into the typical V shape..  the 8ball placed in what you might call the center.. 8ball gets a spin and the ball "restraint" gets lifted inmediately (that way the 8ball isnt touching any other balls..)

one person gets the uneven numbers(the balls with only a thick colored line across the ball)..
and the other gets the even numbers(the balls completely covered in color) (- the 8ball)

the first ball you sink decides if you play even or uneven..

object is to sink all YOUR balls.. and then the 8ball in the hole opposing the hole where your last ball got sunk..

if you dont sink a ball.. then its the opponents turn.. (if you sink one you get another turn..)
if you sink a opponents ball.. the opponent gets 2 turns in a row.. instead of one..

if you sink the white ball.. the opponent gets 2 turns in a row.. instead of one..

and its the same with knocking balls from the pool table.. but it cant be added up (for example you sink an opponents ball and the white ball while knocking some balls of the pool table with the white ball.. the opponent only gets 2 turns in a row.. instead of one)

if you sink a ball.. but then the white ball too.. you dont get another turn.. and the opponent gets 2 turns in a row.. instead of one.. but the sunk ball is allowed to stay..
if you first sink white you are not allowed to put the sunk ball to stay..

i hope you can use this description.. and i would be really cool if my descprition of my version of pool would make it to the release...

keep up the exellent work..
greetz,
wisefire

Odb718

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2005, 09:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(OOlesen80 @ Apr 7 2005, 09:17 PM)
If the player scratches one of his balls

Shizno you better re-up on your Valtrex.

And I thought in cut throat, the first person to make a ball picks his set and same with the second, the person who hasnt made a ball yet gets left with the remaining set....

a2002adam

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 10:54:00 PM »

I don't know if you've already implemented this or if someone has alreaedy suggested it , but it would be great if when taking a shot you did it by pulling the analogue back and then pushing it forwards, a bit like 'links 2004' (and 'virtual pool' on the pc, where you pull the mouse back then push it forwards, replecating a pool cue action), rather than simply pressing a button on a power meter. Also, I havent looked at how your game works, but I personally hate the big fat arrows on most xbox pool/snooker games as it's hard to be accurate, I'd like just a simple line from the centre of the ball. Thanks

SHiZNO

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 11:49:00 PM »

thats exactly how the cue stick work sin the game, and i use the thin line wink.gif

wmadoss

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2005, 02:16:00 AM »

Snooker is a must game.

For that to be somwhat funny the table size has to be increased about 80% though since a snooker atble is 360cm long and a normal pool table is about 230cm long.

Hers a link to the rules

http://www.billiardworld.com/snooker.html

thugster963

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2005, 05:36:00 AM »

Is there going to be system link on this game? smile.gif

Arius

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2005, 05:43:00 AM »

Snooker and System link support would be superb wink.gif as that damned World Championship Snooker dosent have system link sad.gif

vicviper74

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2005, 09:08:00 AM »

How about a razz button or a complement button. "nice shot" or "voo doo".
"A POX ON YOU!!"
THIS WOULD MAILY BE FOR LINK
Pages: [1] 2