xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Can You Use Rc2 Or Boxlink On Wireless?  (Read 411 times)

Cartman40

• Archived User
Can You Use Rc2 Or Boxlink On Wireless?
« on: September 02, 2003, 12:02:00 PM »

Hi,
I have a wireless network using Netgear wireless equipement and I cannot get Xlink or Boxlink to work. I have tried many things and cannot figure out the problem

I can login to the Xlink client OK and I can see my Local Xbox and I can see other people's remote Xboxes.

Firewall is configured with the correct ports (I have tried it with it turned off too).

I can connect to the Xbox over FTP and stream to the xbox using relax, and even stream shoutcast using XBMP so I know the Xbox can get onto the net fine.

Xbox Live works fine (apart from the fact I just got banned, but hey :-/)

Any suggestions? I've done everything I can think of.

Also yes I have disabled the Windows XP firewall, and enabled upnp.

All the time my xbox is searching for the long lost game of Halo I want to play online!!

I just don't get it. Other people can see my box, I can see mine and theirs, so all I can conclude is that there is 'something' about the wireless setup preventing it.

I am using netgear equipment. Any ideas?

flat235

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 12:06:00 PM »

Other people can see your box??? Hmm.. you sound like ure set up right...

Is the reason u cant see the other ppl's games because ure PAL and theyre NTSC / Another PAL region??? Only Halo and Brute force have this restriction..

TD

dfunked

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 01:36:00 PM »

If you've got a wireless NIC in yoru PC, and teh XBOX is wired up to the same router (ie. you're router can handle both wired and wireless connections) then no you will not be able to play games with this setup. You will be able to log into XLink, browse around, start rooms, join rooms etc, but you will not be able to receive incoming XBOX traffic from other users...

I use my laptop for XLink, but I have to stick my Ethernet PCMCIA card into the laptop and take out my wireless card if I want to play on XLink or any other tunnel... It's something to do with address of the XBOXes not reaching the wireless adapter or something (I remember checking this out with Ethereal)...

You can either;

A) Use a wired rj45 cable for the computer AND the XBOX
or
cool.gif Get a wireless ethernet bridge (Linksys WET11 works best) and plug this into the XBOX's ethernet port which will allow you to connect to your xbox from any wireless connected pc

trigger_

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2003, 02:01:00 AM »

If you've got a wireless NIC in yoru PC, and teh XBOX is wired up to the same router (ie. you're router can handle both wired and wireless connections) then no you will not be able to play games with this setup.

I'm thinking of investing in a wireless Linksys 54Mbps broadband router but will only be making the laptop wireless.
The PC and the Xbox will still be hard-wired into the router via the Ethernet ports.

dfunked/flat235:  do you think my propsed setup above will be ok & compatible with Xlink ?

Don't want to buy a router to only find out its not compatible with Xlink !!    ohmy.gif

dfunked

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2003, 02:20:00 AM »

yep it'll work. but if you want to play with XLink, you'll have to use the wired ethernet port on the laptop (assuming it has one). for FTP etc, you can still use your wireless laptop...

I've got  a Linksys BEFSR41W 4 Port Switch / Wireless Router. Works perfectly all the time smile.gif

trigger_

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2003, 02:33:00 AM »

yep it'll work. but if you want to play with XLink, you'll have to use the wired ethernet port on the laptop (assuming it has one). for FTP etc, you can still use your wireless laptop...

Xlink is on the PC and the laptop is just another client (ie the laptop and xbox won't need to talk to each other).

I'm just trying to work out what you mean above....

Do you mean I would need a wired ethernet port on the laptop if Xlink is on that laptop ??  
Or are you saying the laptop needs to be hardwired (or OFF) if I want to play Xlink via the PC ?    blink.gif

dfunked

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2003, 02:51:00 AM »

smile.gif Running XLink from the wireless laptop will not be fine heh, but if you still want to use the laptop, you can use the ethernet port on the laptop (most new laptops have them inbuilt) and you can get on XLink that way...

My VAIO is wireless for 98% of the time. The XBOX is hardwired to the router. I can still FTP to the XBOX over wireless connection or wired, but I get better speeds over wired obviously. If I want to play a game on XLink, I have to put my laptop on my desk next to my ethernet sockets in the wall and connect myself up to the router. I could get a wireless ethernet bridge, but I don't want to spend the money on it and I'd rather have my local area network running at 100mbps (even though I'll never get that much tongue.gif) than 11mbps (I'm running on 802.11b). Plus the XBOX is right next to my TV which is on my desk which is next to my laptop which is next to the wired ethernet socket in the wall tongue.gif make sense? hehe....

trigger_

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2003, 03:03:00 AM »

uhh.gif

laugh.gif     Nah just joking, I got it! Thanks for the info dfunked.

For my next project I think I will hook up the fridge to the wireless router.  
Hmmm, the possiblities....    dry.gif

Cartman40

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2003, 02:21:00 PM »

Thanks for the info!
Due to the nature of my setup and my house it means that I can't use the cable option which is why I have the wireless kit.

So if I connect the Xbox to a wireless ethernet bridge (which I can get hold of easily) and have the PC hardwired to a wireless accesspoint, and connected to the net via USB modem, would this setup work with Xlink?

shanafan

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2003, 02:34:00 PM »

QUOTE (Cartman40 @ Sep 3 2003, 06:21 PM)
Thanks for the info!
Due to the nature of my setup and my house it means that I can't use the cable option which is why I have the wireless kit.

So if I connect the Xbox to a wireless ethernet bridge (which I can get hold of easily) and have the PC hardwired to a wireless accesspoint, and connected to the net via USB modem, would this setup work with Xlink?

As long as the signal goes to your Xbox, yes then.

Cartman40

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2003, 03:47:00 PM »

Great, thanks for your help. I'll post back if it works or not in a day or so when I get a chance to muck around with my kit.

Cartman40

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2003, 10:44:00 AM »

OK so I now have my Xbox linked into an Ethernet bridge and my Access point hooked up to my PC which is connected to the net via USB Modem.

And.... In Midtown Madness I managed to get to see player lists, but I could not join a game as it would drop me immediately.

No joy with Halo whatsoever, or BoxLink, just endlessly searching!!

[Update] Got a game in! Woo hoo! Not Halo, but MM3 and Moto GP :-)

Very nice! Shame I suck at these games and just lose :-(

This post has been edited by Cartman40: Sep 6 2003, 01:09 AM

dfunked

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2003, 07:33:00 PM »

Glad you got it working :)Try to get the XBOX have a strong signal to the access point if you can...