xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Original Star Wars Trilogy  (Read 1142 times)

gto65l

• Archived User
Original Star Wars Trilogy
« on: September 24, 2004, 10:26:00 PM »

I like most of the changes that he made, as small as many were.  Keyword here is most.  With the inclusion of the new films, this has made for one incredible story.

What do you all think of the re-release of the original Star Wars?  Should Lucas have changed them again, or even at all?

gcskate27

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 11:29:00 PM »

no... the cute little singing and dancing scene in jedi was crap...  ;)

Hoppy

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2004, 08:51:00 AM »

I'm just happy they didn't wait till the other 3 movies were ready to be released.  Now I can get the good movies without having to buy the shit ones with it.

nemt

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2004, 09:15:00 AM »

I don't care what anyone says, the Special Editions are better than the originals.

chefelf

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2004, 09:23:00 AM »

QUOTE (nemt @ Sep 25 2004, 11:15 AM)
I don't care what anyone says, the Special Editions are better than the originals.

A little part of my soul dies every time someone says that.

gcskate27

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2004, 10:47:00 AM »

and my disagreement with nemt continues...

in the original jedi did the sarlac pit monster burp after eating boba fet? if not then thats a rediculous addition in the special editions...

most of the additions were totally unnecessary... a cg robot here, a dewback there, the above mentioned song and dance... the orgianls were way better, though the special edtions did give the jawas a little more screen time so thats cool...

oooo-tiii-kiii

This post has been edited by gcskate27 on Sep 25 2004, 06:04 PM

gronne

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2004, 10:55:00 AM »

Are you talking about the re-released versions they made in '97 of the original films, or have they made new versions again?

I completely agree with chefelf on this one. I hate when films come in "NOW 20 MINUTES EXTRA, NEVER BEFORE SHOWN!!!". If they have to make new versions, they can't like the first verisons.

The new versions, visually, look a lot better than the originals. But where's the charm whithout the stop-motion, or the incredibly funny-looking explosion of the planet? In the new versions it looks more real, rediculous. The star wars-trilogy was recognized as revolutionary with all the fancy visual tricks, and then they have to enhace it further?? Rediculous. They should ban the re-released versions forever.

Chicken Scratch Boy

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2004, 11:14:00 AM »

i thought that having a special edition with the only extra scene being where a jawa gets stomped by a gigantic animal dealie (forgot the name) if ridiculous

if it wasnt meant to be there origonally, keep it out.

ie: lotr SE is great.... SW SE is not.

DuDeR MaN

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2004, 04:12:00 PM »

QUOTE (Chicken Scratch Boy @ Sep 25 2004, 01:14 PM)
if it wasnt meant to be there origonally, keep it out.

some things were meant to be there originally but lucas didn't have the money nor technology to do it.

I like the special editions.  more than the originals?  probably, because The only extra thing I don't like is the alien rock song in jedi, everything else is just barely noticable and just adds to the experience, also the improved picture and sound quality is incredible in the dvd, much better than watching the grainy old version.  Now alot of people disagree with that but after watching so many dvds and hdtv programs, the original star wars looks like a mess.  The updated for a new generation to love it while keeping most of their older fans happy.

EvilWays

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2004, 05:13:00 PM »

All these re-releases are rediculous. Adding footage (that was cut in editing) is alright, but altering the movies substantially over the years is rediculous. I like the old school special effects, just as I prefer the old school horror flicks that required a lot of tricks from the art department or make-up department instead of all this CG crap. Granted, CG helps to make certain things more realistic, but some movies go way over the top with it.

Of course, I also feel that George Lucas has lost his mind and his sense of direction with the Star Wars saga. <_<

nemt

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2004, 05:31:00 PM »

The Star Wars Trilogy has always been amazing, the additional scenes in the SEs make these already great movies even more entertaining.  Nothing is taken away from the films by adding entertaining new scenes, which flow well with the storyline and were originally visioned to be there in the first place.

Chicken Scratch Boy

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2004, 05:41:00 PM »

QUOTE (DuDeR MaN @ Sep 25 2004, 02:12 PM)
the improved picture and sound quality is incredible in the dvd, much better than watching the grainy old version.  Now alot of people disagree with that but after watching so many dvds and hdtv programs, the original star wars looks like a mess.  The updated for a new generation to love it while keeping most of their older fans happy.

thats great and i agree

adding scence that didnt make the origonal release is fine, but adding all this new crap is pretty numb.

Nothing is taken away from the films by adding entertaining new scenes, which flow well with the storyline and were originally visioned to be there in the first place.

i still prefer the origonals tho <_<

nemt

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2004, 05:43:00 PM »

Why?  Everything in the original is still there, but with better quality picture and sound...what problem do you have with the new scenes?  They help immerse viewers in the star wars universe.

Chicken Scratch Boy

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2004, 05:47:00 PM »

let me phrase this in your native language

GOOD SOUND MAKE GOOD FUN
GOOD VIDEO MAKE GOOD FUN

yeah
but whats the point in having all the extra scenes, just makes the movie longer.

gcskate27

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2004, 11:47:00 PM »

the only scenes that were extra, as far as i remember, were the singing thing in jedi adn the xwing flyby in a new hope... everything else were little cg additions to scenes that were already there: the dewbacks, the new explotions, the new sarlac pit monster, the inserted snowspeeders...