xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Anyone Up For A Simple, Yet Very Cool Script?  (Read 692 times)

SumDumGuy3

• Archived User
Anyone Up For A Simple, Yet Very Cool Script?
« on: September 05, 2004, 05:48:00 PM »

Hi All,

I'm still working on the xloader. While I was working on this I thought of something that would be a really great script for the average user. I understand that the features of the new release will probably include the ability to pull these off of the internet. But until then, I thought, I would include with my installer some folders full of (help screens, Thumbnails, Preview Videos ans such). Now, what I thought might be really cool, is a simple script that they could run when ever they copy a new game down to the harddrive. When they run it, it would automatically go copy the correct media files for that game/app from the media folder into the game/app folder. I guess there are a number of ways that this could be done. I was thinking of using the xbeid? then either name the files with that number, or put those files into folders that match the xbeid. or even perhaps have a little data file that related which media files goto which xbeids. I think the simplest way would probably be to have folders named after the xbeid. So you could have a structure like...

F:\MXM_Media\
F:\MXM_Media\{XBEID}\
F:\MXM_Media\{XBEID}\MXM_SS.wmv
F:\MXM_Media\{XBEID}\MXM_Thumb.jpg
F:\MXM_Media\{XBEID}\MXM_GH01.jpg

Anyway, just an idea... I would love to write it myself but Im just so busy with doing the other X-Loader scripts and other projects. I just can't spare the time for now...

Regards,
SDG  <

flattspott

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2004, 06:16:00 PM »

to late

check the downloadable content thread in the WIP forum  <

geniusalz

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2004, 06:36:00 PM »

flatspott: I'm sure SumDumGuy3 is upto date with the stuff going on, and this is intended for the current release.

SDG3: You could have a look at the downloadable content thing and base it off that, with the difference that files are fetched off cd instead of online.  <

SumDumGuy3

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2004, 12:31:00 PM »

flattspott,

Sorry, should have been more clear... geniusalz has got the idea though. I am looking strictly at scripts that can be released and used on the Released version. I look forward to the next public release, but til then I want to make things that the gen. public can use right now...

I will take a look at that thread though... like geniusalz said, I can probably take what was already done and modify it... Just have to find the time... thx again...

SDG  <

SumDumGuy3

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2004, 11:17:00 PM »

finally went and looked at what the WIP script for this... most excellent... I will be able to use that quite nicely. what I plan to do is take all of the game info I have, preview videos, thumbs yada yada yada... and put them on the hard drive as part of the installer I am making... then I will have a script that will likely be only a modified version of that WIP script, to check to see if the user has loaded new games locally onto their hard drive and if so, copy the appropriate files to that games folder. that will eliminate the need for internet access and the download restrictions. granted it will not be as upto date as the web one, but this way, if they dont have internet they can still get the files and info for quite a few games and if they do have internet access, they can pull what is local first and then fall back on internet if it is not already on the local source... anyway, if anyone is bored and wants to help that would be great... if not I will tack it on to my list and keep pluggin away...

Thanks again,
SDG  <

SumDumGuy3

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 01:05:00 AM »

Ok, I finally went ahead and wrote the script to do this... you can take a look at it over Here.... I would, as usualy, love to hear your feedback about it...

Thanks,
SDG