xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Birthdays/ And Or Holidays Script Ideas...  (Read 731 times)

Yuyu

• Archived User
Birthdays/ And Or Holidays Script Ideas...
« on: March 17, 2004, 10:54:00 AM »

For the Birthday Script idea .. Write a autoexec script and dialog to match, that a person adds to there mxm.xml.. This dialog then prompts the user for their birthday and the name of the person's birthday that it is( and maybe asks if they wish to enter anymore). I t then saves this information to a script. Then it overwrites the autoexec section of the mxm.xml that points to the old script to read read the new actionscript. This new autoexec then checks for the old scipt and asks if they wish to delete it or add new birthdays. Once done with that, if the birthday matches the current day, it pops up a dialog that shows a static image maybe somethng like a Happy Birthday! or a bithday cake or something) and the name of whoevers birthday it is, along with a little .wav file that loops the phrase "Happy Birthday" or "Its your Birthday, we're gonna party like its your birthday (from the 50 cent song)" a few times then quits... What ya think ?

This same general idea could be done with holidays, where the user is prompted with a screen of checkboxes, that are holidays they celebrate. Whichever are selected are added to the new scipt, then on those days the corresponding Images and/or music could be displayed/played....

You could maybe add this functionality to a reminder script, which could ask for dates you need to remember and then type in text to match that date, which on that date could pop up a dialog box saying "Reminder:" "your suppost to do these things today" then list there text inputs...

Oh well just an idea I had in the middle of a class at uni, did not have time to write it down, so I figured I would do it "BLOG" style and write down my thoughts here openly, to see what anyone thought...

Yuyu

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 11:02:00 AM »

Hmm now that I think about it, this has many possibiltites, such as someone could srite a "On this day in computer history" type script or "On this day in (whatever you like , sports history, general history, Xbox history, etc...) " you get the idea though.. Then on each day you could have some trivial information popped up after a few seconds of having your Xbox Idle... Oooh, just thought of it... This could make an awsome screensaver. When the XBox enters screensaver mode (when BJ implements "events") you could have these facts start to pop-up while its sitting there, rotaing through as many aas th script author can fit in there or has the patience to add for each day....

Hmm you could even easily implement an IRC style trivia script that you coul "port" for use on Xbox with High Scores and everything, wow alot of stuff hitting me right now...

chilin_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 11:03:00 AM »

AND it could all be set up via a simple PC prog where you just enter each persons Name and birthdate and select how long before you want to be notified!!!

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 10:56:00 AM »

biggrin.gif

geniusalz

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 10:58:00 AM »

ph34r.gif

Just kidding.  It's a good idea, and a better thing is that autoexec doesn't have to be rewritten.  It can be 'appended' in the plugin stuff.

Yuyu

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 11:05:00 AM »

QUOTE (chilin_dude @ Mar 17 2004, 02:56 PM)
AND it could all be set up via a simple PC prog where you just enter each persons Name and birthdate and select how long before you want to be notified!!!

You could easily set it up on the Xbox using the new dialog system, no need for a PC proggy... You need to check out the dialog stuff chillin_dude, it has many possibilities.... YOu could just prompt the user to input this information via the Built-In Virtual Keyboard...

EcL|PsE

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2004, 01:56:00 PM »

I say someone jus scripts or ports a calender for the Xbox.
and if the want to get fancy, port a calnder liek oen of those dilbert calender, or like one of the factual flip calender that state facts etc.

this would be amazn

cya