xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Launching Backup Movies From Dashboard...possible?  (Read 326 times)

Xarius

• Archived User
Launching Backup Movies From Dashboard...possible?
« on: December 08, 2004, 08:22:00 PM »

I'm pretty new to the scene, so bare with me. I'm using tHc Lite, but the question regards any dashboard. I'm looking for a way to launch backup movies from the Hard drive. Not with XBMC, but from a dash menu, much like you have a menu for games.

Has anyone ever seen this? Or do you always need to start another program for a backed up movie to play?

dvdronn

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 08:46:00 PM »

I could be wrong, but pretty sure you need the eye and remote. If the eye is in a controller point, then movie will launch.

Odb718

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 03:03:00 AM »

ronn I thikn you're confused... either that or I am.
I think he means he has say 7 DVDs backed up to his hdd.
He'd like a dash to list them and launch a dvd player when he selects it.

As of right now that's the best idea I've heard of for the dash.  :beer:
But it's probably one of the harder ones to do.
Although it does seem vesable.
DVD play back is one thing, but dvd from the hdd is another. Similar yet different.
Honestly I dont see why this couldnt be done, but then again Im not in charge of coding.

ILTB

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 03:09:00 AM »

QUOTE (Odb718 @ Dec 9 2004, 08:35 PM)
Although it does seem vesable.

hehe, nice idea.
Odb u could work on ur spelling, no wonder ur not a coder :P
lol jk.

FYI its feasable.

:beer:

PID

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 06:12:00 AM »

XBMC seem to manage it nicely. XBMP did too, if you screwed around with playlists and languages. As for DVD from HDD playback in any kinda m$dash, not this year at least.

dvdronn

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 06:46:00 AM »

:uhh: totally spaced out the hard drive part. :uhh:

trentdadi

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 04:25:00 PM »

For one, launching it on the dash is impossible... actually, for most dashes because they dont play the .vob format.  It would be very easy to with xbmc and also, there is a way to compress them to which ever file size you want and it still works awesome.  I was able to fit 5 dvd movies onto a single dvd and still have excellent quality probably around that of a VHS tape.

Check out this link to learn how to backup and compress the movies.  You probably dont want many movies backed up on your hdd in the format they came on the dvd because they are about 5 gigs in size each.  

Also, on a sidenote to save you some time, I found on The Matrix and some other movies that when you rip them, they are in French.  I found that if you run the .nfo file that comes with the movie, it will run in english.  The program you use to decompress has the option of using the nfo file when compressing.

I am no programmer but since dvds can be played right from the ms dash and since UIX is a modification of it, it shouldnt be too hard to play movies that have been backed up too the hdd.  Of course, I am no programmer so I have no idea.

Xarius

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 06:40:00 PM »

I'm somewhat familiar with DVD authoring and vob structures. Since the architecture of the XBOX is like a PC, some homebrew apps should be able to autolaunch selected playlists. I even contiplating the idea off a DVD burner in the XBOX, don't know if any one experimented with that since so far I've not seen any burning software for the XBOX.

Anyway I thought this would be a good idea, especially since I watch more movies than play games. To be discless would be a novel idea!

I've messed with XBMC for about 5 minutes and decided I didn't like it. Maybe I will have to give it another glimpse.

I just wish there was like a XBOXAmp like Windows has WinAmp.

ILTB

• Recovered User
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 10:24:00 PM »

a DVD burner is just shit.
Do it on your compter.

trentdadi

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2004, 02:33:00 PM »

Wouldnt a DVD burner be impossible since the actual DVD-ROM in the xbox is not capable of burning.  Also, with the firmware that is required, even if you did manage to get a dvd burner successfully installed, made your own firmware with it that is compatible with the xbox,, it can only read around 4x, which would put burning speeds about 2x, not sure on that, but either way it would take FOREVER.  Also, imho, XBMC is the equivelant to WinAmp.  What dont you like about it?  It's successfully played EVERY media format I threw at it and it looks nice.  Sure, I dont use it as my default dashboard but its excellent when ever I want to use my xbox as a fully featured media center.

Okay, after doing some research, I found that the 616T's are infact DVD-RW.  Even with the SDG-605 firmware, are they still capable of burning.  I dont really know anything about this type of stuff, just curious.  

This post has been edited by trentdadi: Dec 13 2004, 10:46 PM

noisebox

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2004, 04:10:00 PM »

If you are correct and the 616t's are infact DVD-rw drives. You would theoretically only need to have a linux distro installed on your xbox. I'm using GentooX for this purpose. With the "Kb3" program installed for burning dvd's i don't see why you couldn't? Speed maybe be an issue as mentioned above but it's worth a shot. I'm wondering if i can somehow get my hands on a 616t this christmas and give it a shot for myself. that would be excelent to have a "standalone" dvd burne, so i wouldn't have to giveup my PC for 2 hours to copy a movie.

Odb718

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2004, 12:07:00 AM »

Good point on the stand alone burner. Never thought of it like that. But most dvd's are dual layers just to make it harder to copy. I'd want some type of automtic compression going down....
I have an external dvd writer that's usb... you think I could get linux to recognize it?

trentdadi

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2004, 11:16:00 PM »

But you have to keep in mind its not technically a 616t anymore, it has been flashed with the SDG-605 Firmware in order to make it work for the xbox.  Therefor, I doubt it will be able to burn anything unless you dont have to flash it with the 605 firmware for it to work with Gentoox.