xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Having Trouble With Some Things  (Read 140 times)

-Shady-

• Archived User
Having Trouble With Some Things
« on: March 08, 2005, 09:37:00 PM »

Well, here's the deal.  I have XBMC and I really like it.  The problem is, I haven't been able to use it to its full potential.  You see, I can't seem to get the additional internet-related features of the dash to work.  I can't get the weather thing to work, RSS newsfeeds, or the internet radio stations.  The wierd thing is, Xlink Kai from XBMC works perfectly, no problems at all.  It's the only internet-related feature I've been able to use so far.  I really want all the other stuff, and would like to know if anyone could give me some advice.  Here's my setup:

-My computer has 2 NIC cards
   -one is connected to a router, which is connected to the DSL modem
   -the other is connected to the xbox by crossover cable

From Windows XP-->Control Panel-->Network Connections, I set up the card going to the router to "obtain an IP address automatically" and the card going to the Xbox is set up like this:

IP-192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask-255.255.255.0
Default Gateway-blank
Preferred DNS-blank
Alternate DNS-blank

The Xbox itself is setup like this:

IP Type-Static
IP-192.168.0.3
Subnet Mask-255.255.255.0
Gateway-0.0.0.0
DNS1-0.0.0.0
DNS2-0.0.0.0

I'm using UnleashX as the main dash right now and XBMC as an app, and in UnleashX, I've also noticed that I can't get RSS newfeeds or download skins, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :)

robobox

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 09:57:00 PM »

you may want to try changing your gateway on you xbox to ip of the pc, that might fix it. i had some problems , ftping to my xbox, and that fixed it.

-Shady-

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 10:11:00 PM »

Ok, I just tried your suggestion and I'm sorry to say that it didn't work.  This is such a wierd problem, and I'm sure the answer is right there in front of me...

Anyway, thanks for the quick reply. :)

tslayer

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 10:19:00 PM »

It is not a weird problem.  You just have not set it up properly at all.

1) Why not connect xbox to your router and use DHCP?
2) Otherwise, you need to set ICS on your windows box
3) Your xbox needs to have gateway/dns set as well.  Your gateway should be your PC's IP which is 192.168.0.2, but you need to make sure to have ICS enabled.  Your DNS should also probably point to your PC(192.168.0.2) or your DNS that your isp uses.

TS

-Shady-

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 10:41:00 PM »

I would connect the Xbox to the router, but it's too far.  The computer and Xbox are in my room and the router is about 40 feet away, so the way I have it set up now is my only option.  Also, I'm not entirely clear on how to set up the ICS, so if it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you you explain it a little bit, or maybe point out a link.  I know, I'm a n00b :P   But we n00bs gotta start somewhere. :)

Thanks for the reply.

tslayer

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 10:41:00 PM »

Have you tried the pinned topics?

TS

-Shady-

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 10:56:00 PM »

Ok, I went through the pinned ICS topic, and of course, you were right.  XBMC is now working completely.  You are a lifesaver! Thanks a million!  I'm so glad you helped.  Thanks again. :)

I owe you.  Really.