xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Bricked Is Thrown Around To Loosely  (Read 334 times)

dannaswolcott

• Archived User
Bricked Is Thrown Around To Loosely
« on: July 27, 2009, 10:56:00 PM »

Below in the bold is an exact and in-depth definition of bricked. People are throwing the word around to loosely when all their ipod needs is a restore.

When used in reference to electronics, "brick" describes a device that cannot function in any capacity (such as a machine with damaged firmware). This usage derives from the machine now being considered "as useful, and as entertaining, as a brick."[citation needed] The term can also be used as a verb. For example, "I bricked my MP3 player when I tried to modify its firmware."

In the strictest sense of the term, bricking must imply that the device is completely unrecoverable without some hardware replacement. If the device can be repaired through software or firmware changes, it's not a brick.

Historically, the oldest reference known is from fall 1990 at Ramstein AFB, where the term was used by the 1856 Comm Squadron there to describe what happened when you over-drove the flyback mechanism on a CRT, which on a particular model of IBM monitor could be done through firmware. The resultant destruction of the internal electronics resulted in the release of magic smoke and the square monitor being called a "brick," "doorstop," "boat anchor," or a "paperweight", depending on which NCO was describing the incident.[citation needed]

Brick may also refer to a power brick which is used to describe some external mains AC to low voltage DC power converters commonly supplied with many consumer electronics devices. It is called a brick because even with a unit with an appealing design, an OEM power transformer is generally supplied, and has a much less pleasing design - it is usually the size and shape of a brick. When these devices plug directly into a wall outlet (without an additional cord), they are also commonly referred to as a wall wart.

The term "brick" can also be used to refer to a particularly large mobile phone, referring to the older style of telephone which was the size of a house brick.

I am just a little tired of people calling every problem with their ipod bricked. I have personally never seen an actual bricked iphone or ipod touch. Thanks and please do not throw around the word bricked as if it is a baseball. Please think about it before saying it.

Remember that a bricked device is something that is ruined beyond repair and cannot be restored hence it is as useless as a brick.

If you truly think that your ipod is bricked check here and you will see.

Quote [Originally Posted by RenegadeKrogan]