xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Boot Selector?  (Read 937 times)

battery

• Archived User
Boot Selector?
« on: April 05, 2008, 01:34:00 PM »

I'm just curious if, after installing linux (ubuntu), it'll stick a boot loader on the harddrive so i can boot into linux OR the xbox360 os and play my games.

Thanks in advance

Icekiller2k6

• Archived User
Boot Selector?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 08:17:00 PM »

QUOTE(battery @ Apr 5 2008, 09:34 PM) View Post

I'm just curious if, after installing linux (ubuntu), it'll stick a boot loader on the harddrive so i can boot into linux OR the xbox360 os and play my games.

Thanks in advance

nope when you install linux on the harddrive the harddrive is turned into a Linux harddrive and destroying the SS section of the harddrive (which is needed for the xbox itself..)

but with the new kernel coming out you CAN use an usb HD ... and install linux on that

so onboard hd for xbox
usb hd for linux.

pastortom

• Archived User
Boot Selector?
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 03:59:00 AM »

QUOTE(Icekiller2k6 @ Apr 7 2008, 04:53 AM) View Post

nope when you install linux on the harddrive the harddrive is turned into a Linux harddrive and destroying the SS section of the harddrive (which is needed for the xbox itself..)

but with the new kernel coming out you CAN use an usb HD ... and install linux on that

so onboard hd for xbox
usb hd for linux.

Umm.. excuse me sir, but I think youve missed the most important point when it comes to installing Linux on a Xbox 360 console, it ONLY works on the two old kernels 4532 and 4548.. so how on earth do you mean its possible to use a USB hd for Linux with a new kernel when that removes the possibility of running Linux at all?

lateralus01

• Archived User
Boot Selector?
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 11:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(pastortom @ Oct 16 2008, 05:35 AM) View Post

Umm.. excuse me sir, but I think youve missed the most important point when it comes to installing Linux on a Xbox 360 console, it ONLY works on the two old kernels 4532 and 4548.. so how on earth do you mean its possible to use a USB hd for Linux with a new kernel when that removes the possibility of running Linux at all?

um excuse me sir, but IceKiller meant upgrading the linux kernel to include in a usb module, not the 360's kernel.  like from 2.6.x to 2.6.x+1 see what I'm sayin? (although a linux kernel update shouldn't be necessary, you could recompile your own kernel or just compile a module for usb storage devices and then inject it)

god Linux n00bs