xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tmbinc Xbox 360 GPU Linux Library Update and Info  (Read 1794 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Tmbinc Xbox 360 GPU Linux Library Update and Info
« on: March 28, 2008, 03:26:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | March 28 15:50 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From Tmbinc on his blog:

First, here are the promised slides for my Breakpoint 2008 presentation about "Gaming Consoles for demosceners": breakpoint-2008-slides.pdf

Then, I've updated my GPU library a bit. The biggest thing was a rewrite of the interface, so now it's all encapsulated into a nice API. I've also added some features (stencil buffer ops, drawing with index buffers), and fixed a LOT of bugs (for example vfetch patches on more complex shaders). The updated GPU library, included the mentioned "spinning cube" example, is available here: gpu-0.0.5.tar.gz.

Also, I've ported some existing code to my library. A simple test scene looks like this:

This is a per-pixel lighting shader with stencil-based shadow volumes - and obviously 3 cubes. I thought it looked nice enough to put it here.

Full Story: debugmo.de

ScrewinGates

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 04:34:00 PM »

nice

Deihmos

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 09:30:00 PM »

Nice for the 5 people interested.

Muzzakus

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »

How I wish the 360 homebrew scene would take off.  Where are the affordable modchips??

Somehow I feel the easy dvd hacks have stifiled the desire for full mods.  As a consequence homebrew will never flurish on the platform.

ripcurl

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 02:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(Deihmos @ Mar 29 2008, 03:30 AM) View Post

yes possibly, or people are just waiting for a full modchip solution

welly_59

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 06:06:00 AM »

full modchip solution will never happen i think. all the ingredients for succesfull homebrew are there, we can get an alternative OS installed, we have gfx librarys and sound. people were spoilt i think by how easy the xbox1 made it

Illumi.Naughty

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 07:08:00 AM »

Why do people act like this isn't another step in the right direction.
Yeah, the homebrew scene on the 360 is hardly existant at all, but come on... It's a snowball effect. The more the homebrew scene begins to offer, the more people will be involved in the scene.

You all should be shitting lucky charms-o-joy for the fact that there IS a scene and it IS making progress thanks to people like Tmbinc.

Plus, you all remember how much we cared for xbox live with our original xboxes. It was hardly something to worry about losing because you modded it. But the 360 is VERY live-centric and because of this fact I would expect the 360 homebrew scene to never get as big as it was on the original xbox.
Plus the fact that Joe Stupidass wont be able to mod his 360 and pick his nose, ass, and croch all at the same time is bonus. Nobody wants those people flooding the forums with stupidity (like it was  *still is*  for the original xbox), seasoned x-scene members know exactly what I mean.

- Illumi.Naughty

Bad_Ad

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 08:45:00 AM »

QUOTE(Illumi.Naughty @ Mar 29 2008, 03:08 PM) *

Nobody wants those people flooding the forums with stupidity (like it was  *still is*  for the original xbox), seasoned x-scene members know exactly what I mean.

i hope thats a new forum account then (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

Bandit5317

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 01:38:00 PM »

I think these forums need some more software modders, so they can tell me what this means laugh.gif .

frieko

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 03:41:00 PM »

Xbox1 homebrew took off not only because it was so easy to mod, but because it was a worthwhile device. Rock solid media center, and ripping your games to the HD is waay more convenient than DVDs. The 360 is a noisy, barely functional piece of crap to begin with. You can get a basic Dell with more power, and once you factor in the lifetime electric bill the Dell comes out cheaper.

BUT - Hopefully tmbinc et al will come up with some killer app for 360 homebrew! I'm just saying it's not here today.

halcyonx12

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »

More than 5 people want to see XBMC, emus, and other things ported to the 360.

The 360 is a noisy, barely functional piece of crap to begin with.

You're right, I probably wouldn't want to spend so much effort setting up something on the 360 if it's going to break down 2 months later and now I can't get it fixed under warranty.  (on my 3rd 360 here)

You can get a basic Dell with more power

True enough but they don't all have the same config, so nobody's going to package an installer disc with all the cool media/emu/game applications all on one disc that work perfectly with your hardware as-is, and you just put it in and everything's installed and configured and ready for your TV.

This post has been edited by halcyonx12: Mar 29 2008, 11:28 PM

Bandit5317

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(frieko @ Mar 29 2008, 05:41 PM) View Post

You can get a basic Dell with more power, and once you factor in the lifetime electric bill the Dell comes out cheaper.

BUT - Hopefully tmbinc et al will come up with some killer app for 360 homebrew! I'm just saying it's not here today.

What!? Are you joking? The 360 has a 3 core 3.32 Ghz CPU and an R600 based GPU along with 512MB DDR3 RAM. The way I figure it, you'd have to have a Q6600 quad core and at least a 512MB 3850 graphics card to match the 360's power. You show me a cheap, basic Dell with parts at least as powerful as those while using less than 120 watts (falcon motherboard).

Hopeful

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 11:17:00 PM »

WOW. People commenting on 360 homebrew must have done NO research.

The reason it's not "taking off" with hacked dashes and modchips etc, is because it currently CAN'T.  360 security hasn't been hacked far enough to install ANY boot mods.

The reason fewer people do 360 linux is because it can't be rigged to boot on startup. It (and all other 360 homebrew) depends on a mod that can't be installed and must be run from a king kong disk. It is a temporary piece of memory that disappears as soon as the 360 is turned off.

Most strong parts of the security have still NOT been hacked, including parts that prevent anything from running hacked BIOS. (Including mod chips) That's why there are no modchips, for the guy that asked. Do your research.

People (and homebrew designers) dream of 360 homebrew that runs at startup like xbox 1.

It's not a matter of popularity. It's just not here.

This post has been edited by Hopeful: Mar 30 2008, 06:21 AM

biscoito

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(Hopeful @ Mar 30 2008, 12:17 AM) View Post

WOW. People commenting on 360 homebrew must have done NO research.

The reason it's not "taking off" with hacked dashes and modchips etc, is because it currently CAN'T.  360 security hasn't been hacked far enough to install ANY boot mods.

The reason fewer people do 360 linux is because it can't be rigged to boot on startup. It (and all other 360 homebrew) depends on a mod that can't be installed and must be run from a king kong disk. It is a temporary piece of memory that disappears as soon as the 360 is turned off.

Most strong parts of the security have still NOT been hacked, including parts that prevent anything from running hacked BIOS. (Including mod chips) That's why there are no modchips, for the guy that asked. Do your research.

People (and homebrew designers) dream of 360 homebrew that runs at startup like xbox 1.

It's not a matter of popularity. It's just not here.

a few months ago I heard that some dude was working on a dash board for the 360, he said that he was gonna work on a dual boot kind of dash, are you aware of it ?

Hopeful

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 10:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(biscoito @ Mar 30 2008, 10:21 PM) View Post

a few months ago I heard that some dude was working on a dash board for the 360, he said that he was gonna work on a dual boot kind of dash, are you aware of it ?

Either that's a hoax or he wasn't saying he's working on a "dashboard".

He's definitely not working on a modded dashboard. (Which would currently be impossible)

Maybe you mean the "dual boot" mod that lets you store 2 different non-modded kernels (aka dashes). This isn't a modded dash. It just lets you switch between 2 different official 360 dashes. (An older one that still allows the king kong trick, or a newer one that will play the latest games)

You won't see a modded dash on 360 until it is hacked far enough to START into unsigned code. With security SO powerful this gen, that may never happen. The hacker(s) would virtually have to be super geniuses with quantum powers.

Pages: [1] 2